Looking for a desktop PC

Posted 13th Jun 2020
Hi all,

As per the title, looking for a desktop pc. Ideally a SFF base unit.
Going to be used for work purposes but also normal use too, any recommendations?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
18 Comments
What's "normal"? You can get desktop sets from £25 to £250 and both would consider their use as "normal".

What software will you be using?
Edited by: "MadeDixonsCry" 13th Jun
Normal use would be watching youtube, netfix etc on Chrome.
May occasionally use Photoshop.

Current spec on my computer:
HP SFF
Intel G630
8GB
128GB SSD.

So this PC is being given way to a family friend, so I need find a replacement asap.

Max budget around £400.
MadeDixonsCry13/06/2020 15:33

What's "normal"? You can get desktop sets from £25 to £250 and both would c …What's "normal"? You can get desktop sets from £25 to £250 and both would consider their use as "normal".What software will you be using?

How about this?

europc.co.uk/del…tml
almas0913/06/2020 15:41

Normal use would be watching youtube, netfix etc on Chrome.May …Normal use would be watching youtube, netfix etc on Chrome.May occasionally use Photoshop.Current spec on my computer:HP SFFIntel G6308GB 128GB SSD.So this PC is being given way to a family friend, so I need find a replacement asap.Max budget around £400.

Photoshop is a whole other kettle of fish in comparison to the others. I think you need lots of ram for that. I'm out of my league here so I won't be able to answer, sorry.
MadeDixonsCry13/06/2020 15:54

Photoshop is a whole other kettle of fish in comparison to the others. I …Photoshop is a whole other kettle of fish in comparison to the others. I think you need lots of ram for that. I'm out of my league here so I won't be able to answer, sorry.

No worries, thanks.
does it need to be small form factor?

for that budget youd have to be looking for low end systems, probably with intergrated graphics. photoshop work would require more cores and better processer. does your work involve photoshop?

this is just something ive quickly searched for. it'll give you an idea......

cclonline.com/pc/…er/

quad core ryzen 3 3200 processor, 2 x 8gb ram, intergrated graphics, ive swapped out the larger sdd for a smaller one for operating system, to allow an additional 1tb hdd for storage. even includes a dvd drive and wifi.
you have an option there for the micro case to if required.
Only reason for the SFF is because it fits perfectly on my desk.
Thats not a bad spec tbh, is there anything like that in SFF? Sorry to be a pain.

The photoshop is occasional, my current spect handles it well so I would assume something with slightly better spec should do the job. It's only to retouch product images.
Nick_Jordan13/06/2020 16:16

does it need to be small form factor?for that budget youd have to be …does it need to be small form factor?for that budget youd have to be looking for low end systems, probably with intergrated graphics. photoshop work would require more cores and better processer. does your work involve photoshop? this is just something ive quickly searched for. it'll give you an idea......https://www.cclonline.com/pc/home-pcs/alpha/alpha-3200g/040202020002/advanced-customiser/quad core ryzen 3 3200 processor, 2 x 8gb ram, intergrated graphics, ive swapped out the larger sdd for a smaller one for operating system, to allow an additional 1tb hdd for storage. even includes a dvd drive and wifi.you have an option there for the micro case to if required.

^^
almas0913/06/2020 16:31

^^

could you buy a mini itx case and just reassemble it in there? maybe the 2nd hand market for better processers/motherboards and maybe a small form gpu if you really wanted.
Nick_Jordan13/06/2020 16:36

could you buy a mini itx case and just reassemble it in there? maybe the …could you buy a mini itx case and just reassemble it in there? maybe the 2nd hand market for better processers/motherboards and maybe a small form gpu if you really wanted.

I could but I don't have a PC at the moment as mine is being collected today. Hence why I am in a rush.

How about this? laptopsdirect.co.uk/ref…asp
almas0913/06/2020 16:43

I could but I don't have a PC at the moment as mine is being collected …I could but I don't have a PC at the moment as mine is being collected today. Hence why I am in a rush. How about this? https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/refurbished-acer-aspire-xc-885-core-i5-9400-8gb-1tb-128gb-gtx-1050-window-a1-dg-e0xek.008/version.asp#!#specs

, its ok, refurbished though, and big jump up in price.
Dell outlet is worth a look. They have an i5 9th gen with 8GB RAM for 480, then minus 12 percent. So just above budget.
josephobrien200013/06/2020 17:01

Dell outlet is worth a look. They have an i5 9th gen with 8GB RAM for …Dell outlet is worth a look. They have an i5 9th gen with 8GB RAM for 480, then minus 12 percent. So just above budget.

m.dell.com/h5/…%3d
josephobrien200013/06/2020 17:01

https://m.dell.com/h5/m/r/outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/SecondaryInventorySearch.aspx?c=uk&cs=ukdfh1&l=en&s=dfh&sign=PXhcOSHtr1T4IOw%2fPR7UdXXKMn%2f%2fmpvhRcSNqyAmyKw4tAaWWKdvXug14QGqgpTyJP%2bCbvpHsKr7IWCwnKPtuzUJeD6YjE1%2bAfFMRO3JAWrKR0ifFhyzfEI6TBbw4k%2bfXjtBi%2biu8OFghEYS0dAAQ%2fgSmKukIhVu8e%2bvydO8ftDDS26eneLpg5DlYo%2fc71pMHIz632Ia5CoGubcEWj24aCpaRO8yl6UkpAiP%2fZkZmRE%3d

The link isn't working :/
almas0913/06/2020 17:16

The link isn't working :/

Sorry. Nip over to dell outlet and all will appear. I think 400 will get a good spec to be honest
SFF basically just means smaller than a tower and does cover a wide range of sizes. HP, Dell, lenovo etc. tend to use it for fairly large machines and it's not uncommon to have one or even two sizes below that.

If a Sandy Bridge Pentium from 2011 and a 128GB SSD is fine for your current needs then you don't need much so I wouldn't worry overly about spec.

Looks like the HP Prodesk 405 G4 with a Ryzen 2200GE is being sold off in several places for under £400:
google.co.uk/sea…0GE

It's an external power supply (boo) so you have to find space for a second box or a bulky plug and only comes with single channel memory which will hamper GPU performance a bit, but both are downsides common to a lot of small machines.

It's got a decent CPU and GPU, reasonable amounts of memory and storage and, PSU notwithstanding, is nicely compact.
Thanks guys, much obliged!
ive a one for sale if you in the west mids. £100 with monitor keyboard and mouse. i3 4th gen
Post a comment
@
    Text