Looking for a Gaming PC - Advice needed

Posted 10th May
Im looking for a new PC as mine is getting old now. I am too lazy to try and make my own so looking for a custom built. The best I can find for around my budget is:

box.co.uk/Cub…194

I can get PayPal credit for 2years at 0% with this so it looks good to me, can anyone suggest any better or let me know if this is ok for the price?

Also apologies if this is in the wrong place I wasn't too sure!

Cheers
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

11 Comments
I do love my 9900k, clocks upto 5.2 on all cores just by changing the multiplier
It takes an hour to put a pc together, im sure a lazy person can manage that, your going to get a 2080 gpu an i9 and your going to have 2666mhz ram ? You want 3200 or higher
I would definitely go for a AMD Ryzen over an Intel (And if you are going for 3900X CPU instead of the 3700X, go for a X570 MotherBoard. If you buy the 3700X, a B450 board is more than adequate). They can match Intel these days on CPUs, and undercut them on price handsomely. Definitely want 3200 or higher RAM as Mark says. Especially when you are spending close to £1k, let alone £2k.

You could always buy the parts and then pay somebody to build it for you as an alternative.
Edited by: "Firefly1" 10th May
Firefly110/05/2020 18:11

I would definitely go for a AMD Ryzen over an Intel. They can match Intel …I would definitely go for a AMD Ryzen over an Intel. They can match Intel these days on CPUs, and undercut them on price handsomely. Definitely want 3200 or higher RAM as Mark says. Especially when you are spending close to £1k, let alone £2k.You could always buy the parts and then pay somebody to build it for you as an alternative.

My 9900k out performs my friends 3900x even at stock speeds (4.7ghz on all cores, i run 5.2ghz on all atm)
Jordan_Taylor10/05/2020 18:13

My 9900k out performs my friends 3900x even at stock speeds (4.7ghz on all …My 9900k out performs my friends 3900x even at stock speeds (4.7ghz on all cores, i run 5.2ghz on all atm)

It depends on a multitude of factors and comparing any one person's computer to their friends isn't a good idea.
Firstly different games utilise CPU differently. There's a nice graph on Toms Hardware that shows the 9900k outperforms on some games, and the 3900x outperforms on other games. (tomshardware.com/uk/…tml)

Similarly the 3900X outperforms the 9900k on 3D Mark; but loses out on VRMark.

The short answer is that they outperform each other in different areas; and unless you have a very specific reason to buy the Intel, then the AMD is better value. There is generally a 5 to 7 FPS difference between the two, which I would not care for if there is a good price difference. Up to the OP if they care about a handful of frames per second.

Certainly the Intel Overclocks more; but the AMD comes customised out of the box to already be nearer its maximum potential and therefore no need to Overclock - and similarly the Overclock has less benefits. I'm personally of the opinion that the chips should arrive optimised and not have to even consider messing around to overclock - AMD are closer to this approach than Intel.

EDIT: Apologises - expanded comment above.
Edited by: "Firefly1" 10th May
Firefly110/05/2020 18:18

It depends on a multitude of factors and comparing any one person's …It depends on a multitude of factors and comparing any one person's computer to their friends isn't a good idea.Firstly different games utilise CPU differently. There's a nice graph on Toms Hardware that shows the 9900k outperforms on some games, and the 3900x outperforms on other games. (https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews/amd-ryzen-9_3900x-vs-intel-core_i7-9900k,6225.html)Similarly the 3900X outperforms the 9900k on 3D Mark; but loses out on VRMark.The short answer is that they outperform each other in different areas; and unless you have a very specific reason to buy the Intel, then the AMD is better value. There is generally a 5 to 7 FPS difference between the two, which I would not care for if there is a good price difference. Up to the OP if they care about a handful of frames per second.Certainly the Intel Overclocks more; but the AMD comes customised out of the box to already be nearer its maximum potential and therefore no need to Overclock - and similarly the Overclock has less benefits. I'm personally of the opinion that the chips should arrive optimised and not have to even consider messing around to overclock - AMD are closer to this approach than Intel.EDIT: Apologises - expanded comment above.

But the 9900k overall is better for gaming, pretty sure he is building a gaming pc and it takes seconds to oc the cpu.
Edited by: "Jordan_Taylor" 10th May
Firefly110/05/2020 18:11

I would definitely go for a AMD Ryzen over an Intel (And if you are going …I would definitely go for a AMD Ryzen over an Intel (And if you are going for 3900X CPU instead of the 3700X, go for a B570 MotherBoard. If you buy the 3700X, a B450 board is more than adequate). They can match Intel these days on CPUs, and undercut them on price handsomely. Definitely want 3200 or higher RAM as Mark says. Especially when you are spending close to £1k, let alone £2k.You could always buy the parts and then pay somebody to build it for you as an alternative.

B570 - is that a new type? :P
for that much i would recommend at minimum

liquid cooling intel chips run hot
1tb nvme 2tb is plenty hdd not worth it imo
3200mhz ram

2080 super is good but 3000 nvidia cards are coming out soon but uncertain what’s going to be released
BabaGanoush10/05/2020 19:41

for that much i would recommend at minimum liquid cooling intel chips run …for that much i would recommend at minimum liquid cooling intel chips run hot1tb nvme 2tb is plenty hdd not worth it imo3200mhz ram2080 super is good but 3000 nvidia cards are coming out soon but uncertain what’s going to be released

Tbf you don't even need an amazing cooler, i have a h100x
I did a build on pcpartpicker, you can get i9, 2080 super, mb, 16gb 3600 ram, samsung 1tb nvme, 500gb ssd, gold rated psu, case and cpu water cooler for under £1800, youd be daft to pay 1850 for 2666 ram and a old slow hdd
Edited by: "Mark_Hickman" 10th May
Bertz9910/05/2020 19:29

B570 - is that a new type? :P

Haha you caught me I blame the Trusty B450!
X570
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions