Looking for a gigabit router with external antennae which will take Advanced Tomato/DD-WRT/Padavan etc

Found 1st JulEdited by:"dwl99"
Any suggestions for a not too expensive router which ticks all these boxes? I would consider a refurb from ebay. Currently using a Linksys EA2700 with DD-WRT but no external antennae so wifi range is poor.
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
Is for 2.4GHz or 5GHz ?
5GHz would be good to have but would accept 2.4GHz (which is what my EA2700 has with DD-WRT).
dwl9913 m ago

5GHz would be good to have but would accept 2.4GHz (which is what my …5GHz would be good to have but would accept 2.4GHz (which is what my EA2700 has with DD-WRT).

coaxrf.com/sho…nd/
wifirfexpert.com/wp-…pdf

You can mod your EA2700 for about £20 by just drilling a couple of holes in the back and connecting pigtails.
kester7626 m ago

https://www.coaxrf.com/shop/router-mod-kits/7dbi-antenna-mod-kit-for-linksys-ea2700-dual-band/http://wifirfexpert.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/ea2700.pdfYou can mod your EA2700 for about £20 by just drilling a couple of holes in the back and connecting pigtails.

Looks interesting but carries a high chance of me making a hash of it! Probably more practical to sell the EA2700 & get an Asus or something.
dwl991 h, 12 m ago

Looks interesting but carries a high chance of me making a hash of it! …Looks interesting but carries a high chance of me making a hash of it! Probably more practical to sell the EA2700 & get an Asus or something.

You only have to drill two holes in the back of the case and you don't need to solder the 2.4ghz connectors. Only downside is no 5ghz as these are soldered. Should be an easy mod.
I use an Xiaomi Router 3G with Padavan works well and is £20-20.
kester7612 h, 48 m ago

You only have to drill two holes in the back of the case and you don't …You only have to drill two holes in the back of the case and you don't need to solder the 2.4ghz connectors. Only downside is no 5ghz as these are soldered. Should be an easy mod.

I'm starting to warm to this idea! It was the though of soldering that put me off. You can get the pigtail cables for 75p each on ebay ebay.co.uk/itm…649 and I could stick a couple of these on it ebay.co.uk/itm…649 for £1.63 each.
dwl993 h, 29 m ago

I'm starting to warm to this idea! It was the though of soldering that put …I'm starting to warm to this idea! It was the though of soldering that put me off. You can get the pigtail cables for 75p each on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15cm-U-FL-IPX-to-RP-SMA-Female-Antenna-Pigtail-Jumper-Cable-Gold-Q8O8/252900049054?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649 and I could stick a couple of these on it https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SMA-2-4GHz-7-dBi-Wireless-Wifi-WLAN-Signal-Booster-Antenna-5X-Range-Extender-New/202320394049?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649 for £1.63 each.

Yeah, should work great. Longer aerials will flatten the signal profile and give it a greater distance.
kester767 m ago

Yeah, should work great. Longer aerials will flatten the signal profile …Yeah, should work great. Longer aerials will flatten the signal profile and give it a greater distance.

Would you mind having a look at the antenna on the ebay link? It looks different to the usual antennae you get sticking out the back of routers.
dwl992 h, 28 m ago

Would you mind having a look at the antenna on the ebay link? It looks …Would you mind having a look at the antenna on the ebay link? It looks different to the usual antennae you get sticking out the back of routers.

m.ebay.co.uk/itm…228?epid=549828107&hash=item3afb3f1ba4:g:wIgAAOSwHNxaO4qv

These might be better, they remind me of my linksys 54gs extension aerials. Higher the db the better the distance.
kester7614 m ago

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-4-GHz-16dBi-RP-SMA-Wireless-WLAN-Antenna-Aerial-WIFI-for-PCI-Card-Modem-Router/253323320228?epid=549828107&hash=item3afb3f1ba4:g:wIgAAOSwHNxaO4qvThese might be better, they remind me of my linksys 54gs extension aerials. Higher the db the better the distance.

Thanks for this. My understanding is that the longer the antenna, the more directional the RF signal is. Would a very long antenna like this make it less likely that the signal would travel from a downstairs location to an upstairs one?
dwl9917 m ago

Thanks for this. My understanding is that the longer the antenna, the more …Thanks for this. My understanding is that the longer the antenna, the more directional the RF signal is. Would a very long antenna like this make it less likely that the signal would travel from a downstairs location to an upstairs one?

It would reduce the range but an average two storey home should be fine. I used to use two linksys/cisco e4200 routers at opposite sides of the house for 5ghz but my old 54gs could hit about 100m from my son's room to the end of the close.
Cheers, have ordered the bits & pieces from ebay & looking forward to pimping my EA2700!
dwl994 h, 6 m ago

Thanks for this. My understanding is that the longer the antenna, the more …Thanks for this. My understanding is that the longer the antenna, the more directional the RF signal is. Would a very long antenna like this make it less likely that the signal would travel from a downstairs location to an upstairs one?

It's not length per say as the relevant metric varies depending on aerial design, for example a parabolic is more directional with greater width rather than more length. The key link is directionality and gain. The more gain an antenna has the more directional it is (actual gain, not the often meaningless peak gain figures advertisers use).

The sort of ones you're looking at aren't likely to be much more directional than the ones the router already uses, a lot of the benefit will come from being able to align them optimally so you don't have to have the router propped up at a funny angle to get maximum signal strength.
EndlessWaves55 m ago

It's not length per say as the relevant metric varies depending on aerial …It's not length per say as the relevant metric varies depending on aerial design, for example a parabolic is more directional with greater width rather than more length. The key link is directionality and gain. The more gain an antenna has the more directional it is (actual gain, not the often meaningless peak gain figures advertisers use).The sort of ones you're looking at aren't likely to be much more directional than the ones the router already uses, a lot of the benefit will come from being able to align them optimally so you don't have to have the router propped up at a funny angle to get maximum signal strength.

The antennae will be on the end of 5m extension cables so there should be no problems finding a suitable location for them!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants