Groups

Looking for a good priced 128gb USB memory stick for use with TV. needs to be good speed for movies etc

Looking for a good priced 128gb USB memory stick for use with TV. needs to be good speed for movies etc. thanks

12 Comments

Would you not be better off with a portable hard drive?

Good speed?

Original Poster

cossy3

Good speed?

​transfer speed so movies don't lag
    Edited by: "nwressell" 14th Apr

Hi. a good selection here (MyMemory):
    mymemory.co.uk/sea…8gb
    Also 10% off with code: EGG10.
    This one maybe:
    mymemory.co.uk/USB…B_s
    Try going through TopCashBack / Quidco...you may get another wee bonus in cashback!
    Cheers!
    Edited by: "tomba" 14th Apr

We use a wd my passport for this

You really don't need that good speeds for use with a TV. For example usb 2.0 is 480 megabits per second theoretical maximum and Bluray is 40 megabits per second. I have never had any problem with any file size or type going up to 4k with USB 2.0 let alone 3.0. So just buy a decent branded 3.0 one and you'll be fine.
    If a movie was 2 hours long and it took 2 hours to put said movie on a usb stick that's when you would worry about the speed not being fast enough (I know I am mixing up read and write, but they are usually similar), but most 2 hour movies take a minute or two to stick on my USB sticks.

You just need a simple USB with your preferred storage. Speed means nothing unless you're talking about writing to it from your PC.

MIDURIX

You really don't need that good speeds for use with a TV. For example usb … You really don't need that good speeds for use with a TV. For example usb 2.0 is 480 megabits per second theoretical maximum and Bluray is 40 megabits per second.

You're mixing your figures there. 480Mbps is the signalling rate for USB2. It includes all the overheads and encoding.

40Mbps is the actual maximum data rate for the video portion of the slowest blu-rays, it doesn't even include the audio and other data (subtitles etc.) that you'd be reading off the disk at the same time as the video.

More comparable figures would be 240Mbps (30MB/s) for USB 2.0 and 54Mbps for Blu-ray or 108Mbps for Blu-ray UHD (6.75MB/s & 13.5MB/s).

But it's quite common for the memory in the flash stick to be a limiting factor too. While most sticks have a fast enough read speed for most videos, there are certainly plenty that can't do 30MB/s.

EndlessWaves

You're mixing your figures there. 480Mbps is the signalling rate for … You're mixing your figures there. 480Mbps is the signalling rate for USB2. It includes all the overheads and encoding.40Mbps is the actual maximum data rate for the video portion of the slowest blu-rays, it doesn't even include the audio and other data (subtitles etc.) that you'd be reading off the disk at the same time as the video.More comparable figures would be 240Mbps (30MB/s) for USB 2.0 and 54Mbps for Blu-ray or 108Mbps for Blu-ray UHD (6.75MB/s & 13.5MB/s).But it's quite common for the memory in the flash stick to be a limiting factor too. While most sticks have a fast enough read speed for most videos, there are certainly plenty that can't do 30MB/s.

​A normal HDD is still fine though. For example if you can copy movies off the HDD faster than the time it takes to play the movie, you're fine.

EndlessWaves

You're mixing your figures there. 480Mbps is the signalling rate for … You're mixing your figures there. 480Mbps is the signalling rate for USB2. It includes all the overheads and encoding.40Mbps is the actual maximum data rate for the video portion of the slowest blu-rays, it doesn't even include the audio and other data (subtitles etc.) that you'd be reading off the disk at the same time as the video.More comparable figures would be 240Mbps (30MB/s) for USB 2.0 and 54Mbps for Blu-ray or 108Mbps for Blu-ray UHD (6.75MB/s & 13.5MB/s).But it's quite common for the memory in the flash stick to be a limiting factor too. While most sticks have a fast enough read speed for most videos, there are certainly plenty that can't do 30MB/s.

Mixing up what? I said that the theoretical maximum, which is absolutely true. I remember reading a review of usb 3.0 sticks when they were first being released and every USB 2.0 was at about 25/30MB/s and any old 3.0 one was well above that. So going by that pretty much any USB stick is fine for every bit of video. Certainly buying USB 3.0 from any name brand will easily be way faster than you could possibly need. I have a 400GB seagate drive from 2007 and, 1TB wd from 2009 and they play everything easily.

MIDURIX

Mixing up what? I said that the theoretical maximum, which is absolutely … Mixing up what? I said that the theoretical maximum, which is absolutely true.

No it's not. High Speed USB can't transfer file data at 480Mbps even in theory. I don't know what the theoretical minimum would be for a mass storage device but the calculations here suggest 426Mbps:
    electronics.stackexchange.com/que…t-s
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. PS4 Deal @ GAME33
      2. BT Sport Vs SkySports34
      3. Nike Apple Watch 42mm11
      4. Has any one used http://www.tobydeals.com?107200

See more discussions