Looking for a handheld for old school gaming

Found 5th Jan
I was going to be a cheap GBA from Cex, but I ideally want to play Game Boy games. I'm not really enthusiastic about doing that by buying the actual items, as it would cost a fortune.

I've also seen suggestions you can mod an older DS to do a similar job. Ideally, I'd be after something that could have ROMs loaded onto it (again, original GB but GBA and more would be nice).

There's also the option of modding one of my old android phones and turning it into a retro handheld, but there's a bit of a shortage of decent controller options for them.

I was hoping there'd be a decent <£30 option. Anyone done/bought similar?
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
6 Comments
google.co.uk/amp…amp

Method 2 is how to build a Game Boy Pi, if you’re really feeling brave

For Android phones, you can probably just download an emulator app, and also an android tablet with a controller plugged in would work.

Otherwise, can’t think of another handheld way, sorry. If you don’t mind doing it on the tv, then a raspberry pi would work fine.
If we keep this on the right side of the line as to legality (downloading copyrighted ROMs being illegal), I'd recommend getting a Nintendo 2DS. This has access to Nintendo's eShop, from which you can buy a good range of older games.
A New 2DS XL is also an option as that would also allow you to play SNES games from the eShop, but it's a more expensive system.
Original Poster
hgraham411 m ago

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/fieldguide.gizmodo.com/12-ways-to-build-your-own-retro-game-machine-1791770932/ampMethod 2 is how to build a Game Boy Pi, if you’re really feeling brave For Android phones, you can probably just download an emulator app, and also an android tablet with a controller plugged in would work.Otherwise, can’t think of another handheld way, sorry. If you don’t mind doing it on the tv, then a raspberry pi would work fine.

I've played emulators on a tablet, but the touch screen is just...urgh. I'd need a controller ideally, but it's hard to find anything that looks useable.

I saw the Pi thing while searching - very impressive, but not sure if I'm brave enough!
Original Poster
Illusionary5 m ago

If we keep this on the right side of the line as to legality (downloading …If we keep this on the right side of the line as to legality (downloading copyrighted ROMs being illegal), I'd recommend getting a Nintendo 2DS. This has access to Nintendo's eShop, from which you can buy a good range of older games.A New 2DS XL is also an option as that would also allow you to play SNES games from the eShop, but it's a more expensive system.

I've seen you can get a 2DS for about £25 used - might be the way to go, possibly
sent you a PM as im not allowed to post the website
Original Poster
rtmlk1 h, 30 m ago

sent you a PM as im not allowed to post the website

Seen - thanks! Will have a look.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants