EXPIRED

Looking for a Laptop

Minimum Specs...

- 15" screen
    - 2 gig processor
    - 256mb mem (512 preferable)
    - 20 gig hd
    - good battery time
    - wi-fi capable? (I have broadband at home and would like to use the laptop with it - so a dial up modem is useless)
    - dvd rom drive (dvdrw preferable)
    - 1yr warranty (will take the usual 90 day return if necessary)

Would I be better off getting one made up to spec for me? I'm on a budget obviously or my list would be bigger

6 Comments

Welcome to HUKD + Thanks for the post

Have you got a starting price in mind or an upper limit? Makes it a bit easier to find something.

Original Poster

Probably £400. Apart from the wifi and warranty I'd be fine with a pretty base spec machine. The £300 odd ones from Dell are ok but I know very little about wifi etc.

I use my standard desktop for everything, I just want a laptop capable of working on, won't be playing any new games, no graphics programs beyond photoshop, no need for huge storage space etc. I'll probably just be using XP, Office, Acrobat and Photoshop. So the only two things I really care about are that I can use my existing broadband connection and it won't blow up in exactly 91 days

Well you'd have to have your broadband connection set up for WiFi. Have you got a broadband/ADSL wireless modem router?

I don't think you'll find better than the Dell for the applications you want to run on it and value for money.

I think that it is quite easy to achieve if you sacrifice 2G CPU requirement. Staples were selling IBM 50e (made by Lenovo, but then they always made IBM stuff) for 399. As to Dell... I know that many would disagree, but IMHO, the 'D' in Dell must be changed to 'H'. I had 4 (four!) dead Dell laptops in four years (company buys them, so I have to use it). The very last one died just 24 hours after being unpacked - memory failure. There were dead hard disks, faulty LCD panels, substandard plastics, video port that literally fell out, etc. If I would be after laptop (or even any computer) I won't touch Dell with a bargepole.
    Again, this is just my personal view on Dell and I am sure it might not be shared by others.

BTW, that IBM laptop was WiFi enabled. I connected it to Linksys WRT54GS (WPA-TKIP AFAIR) without any problem.

Original Poster

rayman

Well you'd have to have your broadband connection set up for WiFi. Have … Well you'd have to have your broadband connection set up for WiFi. Have you got a broadband/ADSL wireless modem router?

Nope, I figure that was going to be my next question

I just have standard NTL broadband, what else would I need apart from a wifi set up laptop and is there a good deal anywhere for whatever it is?

TIA

You need WiFi router. Netgear 834 or Linksys WRT54G/GS would do. Avoid anything with D-Link logo on it
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Walker crisps33
      2. Cheer me up please?1328
      3. Any PS4 News Here29313807
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767532

See more discussions