Groups

Looking for a laptop and short term internet connection between 2 comps, what do you recommend?

Hi everyone,

My friend is moving out on a temp basis and his new house doesn't have an internet connection, what's the best and most affordable way to get short term internet for 2 laptops...is it via mobile internet, which seems quite expensive for what you actually get?

There's also some deals to get a free laptop with mobile internet, is this worth it, as his gf wants to have her own laptop?

Thanks in advance for the help

5 Comments

get hold of a orange compatible UMTSS/HSDPA handset (nokia), get a orange 3g sim card, top up £10, buy 7day unltd bundle for £5, download nokia pc suite (pre), connect via phone.

i used to use it whenever server was down or had lack of connectivity. make sure you have the right settings though.

If one laptop has a internet connection (e.g. with a mobile connection), then you can set up internet connection sharing on that laptop and then connect the two laptops together using a wireless adhoc connection using the wireless cards.

why not ask the neighbours if you can link into their broadband lol

SpecialK;4180546

haha

novel idea

Original Poster

myaser88;4179165

get hold of a orange compatible UMTSS/HSDPA handset (nokia), get a orange … get hold of a orange compatible UMTSS/HSDPA handset (nokia), get a orange 3g sim card, top up £10, buy 7day unltd bundle for £5, download nokia pc suite (pre), connect via phone. i used to use it whenever server was down or had lack of connectivity. make sure you have the right settings though.

Is that difficult to set up.......I know their existing contracts are with T-mobile and 3, do they have any packages like that?

suchafunkymonkey;4179279

If one laptop has a internet connection (e.g. with a mobile connection), … If one laptop has a internet connection (e.g. with a mobile connection), then you can set up internet connection sharing on that laptop and then connect the two laptops together using a wireless adhoc connection using the wireless cards.

Oh brilliant, I was wondering if they'd need one each, is there step by step instructions to do this?

SpecialK;4180546

I wish they could do that.....I know I sometimes do that as a back up when my connection goes down. :giggle:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4261955
      2. TEKKEN goes mobile (iOS/Andorid)511
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764660
      4. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!523472

See more discussions