Expired

Looking for a lawyer - where to start?

Found 28th Apr
So I've had enough of other drivers endangering me and my passengers, and would like to find a lawyer who could mount private prosecutions against these selfish idiots (I have dashcam footage).

Does anyone have any experience in these matters, and could point me in the right direction where to find a *good* lawyer, as well as what to look for? Thanks!
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
traylee45 m ago

I drive at the speed limit or just under, depending on driving conditions.

If you were in the left hand lane you wouldn’t get undertook
traylee29 m ago

I'm not looking for driving advice here. How do you know what happened? Is …I'm not looking for driving advice here. How do you know what happened? Is the right hand lane now "out of bounds" to law abiding drivers??? Please keep your judgements to yourself!

Right hand / middle lane isn’t out of bounds, it’s for overtaking. If you got undertook then there was sufficient space for you to be in the left hand lane and therefore avoid what just annoyed you.
traylee1 h, 52 m ago

I'm not looking for driving advice here. How do you know what happened? Is …I'm not looking for driving advice here. How do you know what happened? Is the right hand lane now "out of bounds" to law abiding drivers??? Please keep your judgements to yourself!

You started the topic mate....and you can't get stroppy if some of the comments/advice given isn't to your liking. Old saying.." if you don't like beans then don't open the tin....
Try Jeremy Kyle first.
57 Comments
Try Jeremy Kyle first.
Are you talking about criminal or civil infraction?
parsimony5 m ago

Are you talking about criminal or civil infraction?

I'm not sure to be honest. In most cases tailgating at significant speed, and undertaking. In one case they were also "raging" at me and causing distress and even physical injury (wiplash) to my wife!
Sounds like you're driving too slowly
Skaman2 m ago

Sounds like you're driving too slowly

There are so many idiots out there on the roads today that if you chase them all you will need to be paying a permenant retainer to your lawyer. Just use the cam for insurance purposes if you are unlucky enough to be involved in an incident, otherwise I suggest you need to hang up your driving gloves because you haven't got what it takes to be on the road in this day and age.
If you have video evidence I would contact the police. Though I doubt they would do anything. I would use civil action as a last resort, its horrifically expensive impress you can get the AA or RAC to represent you.
Hand the footage to the police, they'll decide what action if any is needed.
To start any form of legal proceeding you would have to have the persons name and address which I very much doubt the DVLA would supply you with given the data protection act
st8mike26 m ago

There are so many idiots out there on the roads today that if you chase …There are so many idiots out there on the roads today that if you chase them all you will need to be paying a permenant retainer to your lawyer. Just use the cam for insurance purposes if you are unlucky enough to be involved in an incident, otherwise I suggest you need to hang up your driving gloves because you haven't got what it takes to be on the road in this day and age.

This ^^^^ is the most sensible post in this thread.
I'm a cabbie, and I see (and have dealings with), hundreds of idiots each week, but guess what....I move on, and ignore!
Edited by: "artnada" 28th Apr
Is this topic for real ?
traylee45 m ago

Tend to be on the side of the OP here - though private prosecution obviously impractical with the lack of damage /accident .

I have experienced many idiots on the road over the years , and it is only through my "defensive driving" and being aware that I and many of the idiots are still alive /uninjured .

I read a couple of weeks ago that a police force in Wales is running a pilot where you can send them incidents of dangerous driving caught on dashcam and they will investigate and pursue where warranted ,

I've only had my dashcam fitted a month and already have footage of one potentially fatal idiotic act (oncoming driver overtaking cycle coming head on my side of the central island at a pedestrian crossing in a 30mph zone . 6am in Rutland , if it rings a bell ? You and I would have found out if our airbags were any good (at least ) if I hadn't stood on the brakes .

With more and more cars being fitted with dashcams these days , the mere suggestion by police that they would consider looking at footage might just make these idiots think twice before driving like plonkers
pinkleponkle18 m ago

I'm not looking for driving advice here. How do you know what happened? Is the right hand lane now "out of bounds" to law abiding drivers??? Please keep your judgements to yourself!
You can only pursue a civil claim if you have suffered actual 'damage' - not just because you dislike what someone has done. If the other drivers have done as you say hand the footage to the police - - it is up to the to prosecute for criminal offences.
The fact that you are seeking legal recourse first rather than giving the footage to the police to get these supposidely dangerous drivers of the road speaks volumes as to your own character.
If your looking compensation I suggest there are better ways of doing it.
traylee28 m ago

Well yes if the person behind you has enough time to undertake then you could be hogging the lane as not moving over.
traylee29 m ago

Right hand / middle lane isn’t out of bounds, it’s for overtaking. If you got undertook then there was sufficient space for you to be in the left hand lane and therefore avoid what just annoyed you.
rogparki47 m ago

Tend to be on the side of the OP here - though private prosecution …Tend to be on the side of the OP here - though private prosecution obviously impractical with the lack of damage /accident .I have experienced many idiots on the road over the years , and it is only through my "defensive driving" and being aware that I and many of the idiots are still alive /uninjured .I read a couple of weeks ago that a police force in Wales is running a pilot where you can send them incidents of dangerous driving caught on dashcam and they will investigate and pursue where warranted ,I've only had my dashcam fitted a month and already have footage of one potentially fatal idiotic act (oncoming driver overtaking cycle coming head on my side of the central island at a pedestrian crossing in a 30mph zone . 6am in Rutland , if it rings a bell ? You and I would have found out if our airbags were any good (at least ) if I hadn't stood on the brakes .With more and more cars being fitted with dashcams these days , the mere suggestion by police that they would consider looking at footage might just make these idiots think twice before driving like plonkers

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Unfortunately I have lost all confidence in the authorities. When I've submitted footage/a complaint previously, nothing happened!

The police round here don't even bother to enforce the laws of the road most of the time it seems. I realize they are under resourced, but I've seen them ignoring offenses that were committed right under their nose!

I used to enjoy driving, but those days are long gone. We live in the countryside, where public transport services are near non-existent, but obviously we need to go out to get supplies. I find myself trying to minimize our trips into town, because without fail, there is at least one or two who feel that if we are not driving OVER the speed limit then feel the need to drive DANGEROUSLY close.

I try to drive with consideration for others, and expect the same from others. We are entitled to use the roads, and I believe we are also entitled to not be recklessly endangered. I refuse to be intimidated by those who think they are entitled to because of their own selfish reasons. Vehicles are killing machines (just need to look at the news). Who here would tolerate a loaded gun being pointed at them? It's no different! My wife is disabled, and has been told that she is lucky not to be in a wheelchair, but even a small shunt could change that.

So, I want to take a stand, and show the idiots that they can't get away with bullying and intimidation.
pinkleponkle2 h, 32 m ago

Right hand / middle lane isn’t out of bounds, it’s for overtaking. If you …Right hand / middle lane isn’t out of bounds, it’s for overtaking. If you got undertook then there was sufficient space for you to be in the left hand lane and therefore avoid what just annoyed you.

How do you know that I wasn't using it to overtake?
Edited by: "traylee" 28th Apr
traylee34 m ago

How do you know that I wsan't using it to overtake?

Unlikely the undertaking vehicle would want to slam into the vehicle you were(n't) overtaking?
Another clown wi a dashcam lol
You do know that it isn’t necessarily illegal to undertake in the uk, if they move to the left lane and it is moving faster than you and they go past you there is nothing unlawful about that. If your in the right lane with nothing in front of you in that same situation it is you that is driving dangerously and can be prosecuted.

I would also like to add that for you to bring a private prosecution you would need some considerable money behind you and again be able to find where the driver lives without breaking the law to obtain the information.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 28th Apr
traylee1 h, 52 m ago

You started the topic mate....and you can't get stroppy if some of the comments/advice given isn't to your liking. Old saying.." if you don't like beans then don't open the tin....
123batman32118 m ago

Another clown wi a dashcam lol

Nothing wrong with dash cams. They are only really there for insurance claims or when police appeal for footage.
traylee1 h, 56 m ago

You're judging other drivers.
cmdr_elito4 m ago

Nothing wrong with dash cams. They are only really there for insurance …Nothing wrong with dash cams. They are only really there for insurance claims or when police appeal for footage.

I know i have one its more the clown thats the problem lol
Surely u can't sue someone without them causing u damage or injury.
I sort of feel sorry for you in a way or another.
If your going under the speed limit in tight country side roads where speed limit is say 50 and you want to do 30 in some parts then go for it because I do. I want to be safe not drive at high speed at narrow country side roads. But if your driving slow on a main road with lots of space which 1/100 do then I will drive bumper to bumper because that's just annoying.
123batman32125 m ago

I know i have one its more the clown thats the problem lol

Lol. Those floppy shoes mean he can’t go above 50
cmdr_elito1 h, 3 m ago

You do know that it isn’t necessarily illegal to undertake in the uk, if t …You do know that it isn’t necessarily illegal to undertake in the uk, if they move to the left lane and it is moving faster than you and they go past you there is nothing unlawful about that. If your in the right lane with nothing in front of you in that same situation it is you that is driving dangerously and can be prosecuted.I would also like to add that for you to bring a private prosecution you would need some considerable money behind you and again be able to find where the driver lives without breaking the law to obtain the information.

I'm not going to go into detail, for obvious reasons, but I can assure you the other driver was driving dangerously.

AndyRoyd1 h, 27 m ago

Unlikely the undertaking vehicle would want to slam into the vehicle you …Unlikely the undertaking vehicle would want to slam into the vehicle you were(n't) overtaking?

See above.

.MUFC.52 m ago

You're judging other drivers.

Only when they deserve it.
st8mike58 m ago

You started the topic mate....and you can't get stroppy if some of the …You started the topic mate....and you can't get stroppy if some of the comments/advice given isn't to your liking. Old saying.." if you don't like beans then don't open the tin....

What's the topic title? Did I ask for opinions on my driving????
richje10045 m ago

Surely u can't sue someone without them causing u damage or injury.

That's not what I understand. How about for the stress they cause?

This is why I'd like to speak to a good lawyer...
Move to America, then you will find plenty of lawyers that will be willing to sue anyone you like
If you don't have anything helpful to add (like the majority of replies here) please do not post.

I'm not looking for legal advice from members here! I stated what I was looking for quite clearly in the OP.
I think you will be wasting your time and money. I don’t even know what you expect to make a claim for. To prove stress is very hard. Maybe you should look at alternative forms of transport instead
Try driving defensively rather than hunting good dash cam footage.
I have undertaken many people who are hogging the right hand lane when the left or middle lanes are free. The middle/right lanes are meant to be for overtaking and if you are in them to plod along but not actually overtaking then you can be the cause of traffic jams further back and be just as or more dangerous than people speeding.

was once in a long traffic jam on a 3 lane motorway, got to the front and it was some numpty going 60 in the right lane and the middle lane slowing so they didn’t undertake. Added about an hour to my journey.

if you are regularly undertaken then you might be driving in the wrong lane.

i have also encountered idiots weaving in and out of traffic and driving up everyone’s rear flashing lights despite everyone else being in the correct lane. But in those cases although they have caused me some near misses by cutting me up, they haven’t actually caused me an accident and so I move on with my life and just thank god that I’m not such a D as those drivers
traylee1 h, 14 m ago

That's not what I understand. How about for the stress they cause? This is …That's not what I understand. How about for the stress they cause? This is why I'd like to speak to a good lawyer...

And how do you expect to get compensated for "stress"?
There's a law forum I go on every now and again. Solicitors offer free advice. Try it.

Forum
traylee3 h, 31 m ago

Thanks for the vote of confidence.Unfortunately I have lost all confidence …Thanks for the vote of confidence.Unfortunately I have lost all confidence in the authorities. When I've submitted footage/a complaint previously, nothing happened!The police round here don't even bother to enforce the laws of the road most of the time it seems. I realize they are under resourced, but I've seen them ignoring offenses that were committed right under their nose!I used to enjoy driving, but those days are long gone. We live in the countryside, where public transport services are near non-existent, but obviously we need to go out to get supplies. I find myself trying to minimize our trips into town, because without fail, there is at least one or two who feel that if we are not driving OVER the speed limit then feel the need to drive DANGEROUSLY close.I try to drive with consideration for others, and expect the same from others. We are entitled to use the roads, and I believe we are also entitled to not be recklessly endangered. I refuse to be intimidated by those who think they are entitled to because of their own selfish reasons. Vehicles are killing machines (just need to look at the news). Who here would tolerate a loaded gun being pointed at them? It's no different! My wife is disabled, and has been told that she is lucky not to be in a wheelchair, but even a small shunt could change that. So, I want to take a stand, and show the idiots that they can't get away with bullying and intimidation.

Well unfortunately the law is not on your side when it comes to a private prosecution, you have no legal way to obtain the drivers details. With the police the lack of police resources available at the moment, they are using their time to catch people who have raped/murdered/stole from people rather than worrying about someone’s poor judgement and close manoeuvre which didn’t result in a collision.

If you are genuinely worried about going out in the car try online shopping, that’s one way to minimise trips and risk to yourself and your wife.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants