Looking for a little advice.........

Banned 8 replies
Found 22nd Oct 2009
Right - currently have an old bin of a laptop, bought about 6 years ago (since replaced).

It stores all my music etc for iTunes.

Thing is, it runs like a bag of spanners. The way i see it, I have a few options

1. Upgrade the internal HDD from the 40GB in it which according to the laptop is 98% full
2. Upgrade the RAM from the poxy 256mb at present to something alot bigger - but not sure if this is possible
3. Buy an external HDD, whack all the stuff from the bag of spanners on it, and use the new laptop to run iTunes fed from the external HDD

any other suggestions welcome, and also thoughts on the above

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
8 Comments

Option 3 would be the cheapest

Buy a new laptop - with what you are going to pay to upgrade all the specs you may as well buy brand new and get a warranty etc.

Your motherboard may not be able to handle much RAM if you only have 256MB installed currently.

Go to [url]www.crucial.com[/url] if in doubt and run a scan on your machine, it will tell you the capabilities of it.

Ignore me - I missed the important part of your post that said 'since replaced'...!!! Back to bed for me I think...

Option 3!

I would transfer all the music to an external, it's probably running badly as Windows has no space to make a pagefile.

You would have to look into they type of RAM or hard drive connection it uses. It may be expensive to buy the parts new, but i'm sure you could track down preowned quite cheaply.

I assume you're running XP? A boost to 512/1gb of RAM will make a lot of difference.

I would do you a dirt cheap deal on my two spare 512mb sticks of RAM but I doubt they'll be compatible (I believe they are 200pin SODIMM 533mhz).

Original Poster Banned

farmergiles;6653339

Buy a new laptop - with what you are going to pay to upgrade all the … Buy a new laptop - with what you are going to pay to upgrade all the specs you may as well buy brand new and get a warranty etc.Your motherboard may not be able to handle much RAM if you only have 256MB installed currently.Go to [url]www.crucial.com[/url] if in doubt and run a scan on your machine, it will tell you the capabilities of it.

already have a new laptop, but dont want to fill the hard drive with 16GB worth of music films etc which will just slow it up coupled with iTunes which i find is the worst program on earth in terms of clogging up my machine.

the RAM point - i would be surprised if it was possible to upgrade to anywhere near 'modern' speeds

am swinging towards the external HDD, but i would then need to 'point' iTunes to it for 3000-odd songs plus films etc. ball-ache!

^^ re itunes don't you just change the folder location details? 2 seconds.

Original Poster Banned

greg_68;6653396

^^ re itunes don't you just change the folder location details? 2 seconds.

I am hoping so.................

this may be of interest:

channelregister.co.uk/200…on/

"Windows 7 DSGi is betting big on Windows 7 sales with a special promotion clearly designed to convince more customers to visit the firm’s not exactly bustling PC World stores.

From tomorrow PC World will be offering up to £100 off to anyone who trades in an old, working laptop for a Windows 7 machine."

take the hdd out of the bag of nails and put it into a enclosure of buy a hdd to usb cable set, and use that on the new computer, empty all the rubbish of first to create some more room, if you are not thinking of putting it back into the bag of nails then delete the windows folder from it to create more room,
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. The HUKD Wuntu code sharing thread! (Three Mobile)96194
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769271
    3. Rewview sites22
    4. Add one, leave one game54315405

See more discussions