Groups
    EXPIRED

Looking for a NAS (Network Attached Storage) Drive

Doesn't have to be anything too fancy, just a NAS, nothing below 300GB and ideally SATA.

I do work in IT anyway and do not necassarily need a pre-built one so if anybody can recommend a good deal on the seperate parts then that would be fine.

Thanks

15 Comments

im in the same situation.. but all around £100, £80 is the cheapest i have found, on ebuyer.

if you want a ready to run pice of kit the is the "My Book World Edition" roughly £130 for 1Tb
    then you have the option for the D-link twin sata hard drive caddy system with a Gb netowrk port
    again roughly £130 for the caddy and just add your own HDD's up to 1Tb in each drive
    or there is the slightly cheaper Icy Box twin sata caddy which is about £85 plus your HDD's
    both these get good reviews

Original Poster

I was hoping for something a bit cheaper than that, I guess it's probably not going to happen though.

Thanks anyway though mcallim, rep added.

DROBO! drobo.com/
    By the way, if anyone has a few quid that they're not using at the moment I really NEED one of these, thanks for listening

[email protected];3251576

Or an NSLU2 and then use any USB drives... including … Or an NSLU2 and then use any USB drives... including flash...http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1115416906769&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

I would second this suggestion. Under £60 on ebuyer (ebuyer.com/pro…399). It can be used as a web server, print server, BitTorrent device and a lot of other uses. Requires Linux experience to get the most out of it but theres a whole community out there that can advise.

Original Poster

So could I potentially get one of those and run a usenet client on it ?

Somebody at work mentioned Drobo the other day but that is definitely out of my price range unfortunately.

I found a cheap NAS enclosure on Amazon (£28.95)

amazon.co.uk/Sum…Z6/

How about a buffalo linkstation, cheap enough to pick up on eBay.

If you get a 120gb one you can simply swap out the drive for a larger ide drive. It can also work as a print server and you can connect extra usb enclosure to it to.

There is a good hacking community for them. I have a couple of them running custom firmware one with a 250gb drive and one with a 320gb drive (just got a Linkstation Pro Duo which supports 2x sata drives to replace them it will give me 2TB) I have ssh, torrents, ftp and a UPnP media streamer running on one that provides 2 xbmc xboxs and a 360 with video, photos and music. Its a neat and tidy solution, very very quiet.

For the record, my new to me Linkstation Pro Duo cost me 30 quid delivered from a guy on ebay, I have to get a couple of 1tb sata drives so that will be another 150 quid but to have a 2tb network file and media server I think it is a bargin.

chiliblue;3268459

How about a buffalo linkstation, cheap enough to pick up on eBay.If you … How about a buffalo linkstation, cheap enough to pick up on eBay.If you get a 120gb one you can simply swap out the drive for a larger ide drive. It can also work as a print server and you can connect extra usb enclosure to it to.There is a good hacking community for them. I have a couple of them running custom firmware one with a 250gb drive and one with a 320gb drive (just got a Linkstation Pro Duo which supports 2x sata drives to replace them it will give me 2TB) I have ssh, torrents, ftp and a UPnP media streamer running on one that provides 2 xbmc xboxs and a 360 with video, photos and music. Its a neat and tidy solution, very very quiet.For the record, my new to me Linkstation Pro Duo cost me 30 quid delivered from a guy on ebay, I have to get a couple of 1tb sata drives so that will be another 150 quid but to have a 2tb network file and media server I think it is a bargin.

I cant seem to find any Linkstations on ebay other that ones equipped with a TB HD in America:thinking:

There are 13 listed as of now on ebay in uk and ireland, do a search for "linkstation"

[email protected];3251576

Or an NSLU2 and then use any USB drives... including … Or an NSLU2 and then use any USB drives... including flash...http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1115416906769&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

Is it possible to setup RAID1 with two 1GB harddisk you think? :?

slinkydonkey;3622998

Is it possible to setup RAID1 with two 1GB harddisk you think? :?

Yeah no problem, take a look at : en.wikipedia.org/wik…sks

why you doin it with 2 * 1gb ??

Maybe you will be interest in this one of my? :oops:

]http//ho…233

Original Poster

I already bought a linkstation now, thanks though
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Seems that Uber will NOT have it's London Licence Renewed by TFL - declarin…2869
      2. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would1223
      3. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7181352
      4. Spotify Family Premium share719

See more discussions