Looking for a new combi boiler

Hi, I am looking for a new combi boiler to replace my old VAILLANT ECO TEC PRO 24 for less than 900GBP (Just the boiler).

It is for a 3 bed house. As long as it can last for at least 5 years, I will be happy.

17 Comments

Get another Vailant. They are good boilers...need a bigger one, get a bigger Vailant.

Original Poster

robo989

Get another Vailant. They are good boilers...need a bigger one, get a … Get another Vailant. They are good boilers...need a bigger one, get a bigger Vailant.

Any particular you will suggest?

A friend of mine suggest Baxi though, he said it has brass fittings inside which will last longer.

ro888

Any particular you will suggest?A friend of mine suggest Baxi though, he … Any particular you will suggest?A friend of mine suggest Baxi though, he said it has brass fittings inside which will last longer.

I have a Vaillant eco tec pro myself think it might be the 24 model. Had it about 6 years, it's had one repair about a year ago that cost £90 including labour.
The guy who repaired it is an old timer type and says he recommends them, they aren't particularly special but they are reliable without going to the big money but then you are paying over twice as much. He says the cheap ones are just nasty.

Sorry that's just an annoying anecdotal response I know I own my own home here but I've had a few cheapy ones in rented accommodation and I've always had constant issues with pressure reducing on 2 glow worms and I can't remember the other, but they were all in a new refurb.

Anyways, I'm sure someone will come along and be a bit more specific but just my experience.

Intergas Eco RF will come in just under £900 inc VAT. 10 year warranty, with a lot less parts to go wrong inside.

Don't skimp on the install, the quality of which, will strongly determine the reliability of the boiler.

Original Poster

robo989

I have a Vaillant eco tec pro myself think it might be the 24 model. Had … I have a Vaillant eco tec pro myself think it might be the 24 model. Had it about 6 years, it's had one repair about a year ago that cost £90 including labour.The guy who repaired it is an old timer type and says he recommends them, they aren't particularly special but they are reliable without going to the big money but then you are paying over twice as much. He says the cheap ones are just nasty.Sorry that's just an annoying anecdotal response I know I own my own home here but I've had a few cheapy ones in rented accommodation and I've always had constant issues with pressure reducing on 2 glow worms and I can't remember the other, but they were all in a new refurb.Anyways, I'm sure someone will come along and be a bit more specific but just my experience.

Thanks for the advice, mine Vailant kept showing F.22 error and need re-pressuring every two to three weeks. I spoke to an local boiler guy and he quote me for 350GBP including safety check.

This is why I am thinking to get a new boiler instead.

He's a chancer, what makes you think the pressure loss is down to the boiler and not elsewhere on the system?

There's every possibility you change the boiler and the issue remains.

Original Poster

themorgatron

Intergas Eco RF will come in just under £900 inc VAT. 10 year warranty, … Intergas Eco RF will come in just under £900 inc VAT. 10 year warranty, with a lot less parts to go wrong inside.Don't skimp on the install, the quality of which, will strongly determine the reliability of the boiler.

Never heard about Intergas but their specs seem good against the big name.

Just for curiosity, why do most people only stick to the big names such as Worcester, Vialant, Baxi, Grow-Warm, Ideal,etc. What happends to some old traditional brands such as Ferroli?

ro888

Never heard about Intergas but their specs seem good against the big … Never heard about Intergas but their specs seem good against the big name.Just for curiosity, why do most people only stick to the big names such as Worcester, Vialant, Baxi, Grow-Warm, Ideal,etc. What happends to some old traditional brands such as Ferroli?

I'm guessing most people choose the big names because that's what the installer is recommending. As an installer it's a very easy sell to recommend a Worcester - everybody has seen their adverts, and assume they are a 'premium' brand.

Ferroli just started making awful boilers. It never helps when you market for the cheap end because this attracts landlords and tight **** - both of which couldn't care less how it's fitted, as long as it's done cheaply, preferably in 1 day.

We just had the IDEAL VOGUE combi boiler installed with the flue put through the roof. It's excellent and really improved the hot water pressure.

Not a vote for any particular boiler but do have a look at boxt.co.uk as they installed a new boiler for my son and did an excellent job at a good price. The choice of boiler is down to you.

Middlers

Not a vote for any particular boiler but do have a look at … Not a vote for any particular boiler but do have a look at http://www.boxt.co.uk as they installed a new boiler for my son and did an excellent job at a good price. The choice of boiler is down to you.

That Boxt looks good I have to say - looking to do our boiler soon anspd will have to remember that one

discobob

That Boxt looks good I have to say - looking to do our boiler soon anspd … That Boxt looks good I have to say - looking to do our boiler soon anspd will have to remember that one

They look bloody awful.

If a company thinks they can price a boiler change over the internet via a few questions they are either overcharging massively to cover themselves, or cutting corners at every opportunity to make a profit. The fact they only ever 'hot flush' (drain and re-fill) a system regardless of water quality should give an indication of how little regard they have for a decent job. They also heavily push combi boilers, presumably because that's all their subbies will be able to monkey together.

Their "subbies" or at least the one that did my sons boiler was fantastic and did a bloody good job. First hand experience wins over someone who just thinks he's right. I have no doubt that once better established their prices will rise. Gave them a 5* review on Trustpilot.

Middlers

Their "subbies" or at least the one that did my sons boiler was fantastic … Their "subbies" or at least the one that did my sons boiler was fantastic and did a bloody good job. First hand experience wins over someone who just thinks he's right. I have no doubt that once better established their prices will rise. Gave them a 5* review on Trustpilot.

The problem with those 5 star reviews on Trustpilot is customers don't have a clue what makes a good installation. If the radiators are blisteringly hot, and the water comes out of the tap faster than with the old hot water cylinder, they think it's marvellous.

For some reason people think having it fitted in a day is a good thing. Your system will not have been flushed in accordance with BS7593 (it will ask this question in the benchmark) so the manufacturer can very easily void any warranty.

Boxt were created by the same people involved with Help-Link. That should give an indication of just how poor they are. Incidentally their prices fall roughly inline with what all the RGIs around my area are charging, none of whom try to bash installs out in a day.

Install took two days

Original Poster

Middlers

Install took two days

You are quite right, a friend of mine also told me that it will take two days at least. One day for chemical flushing and one day for installation.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Car Leasing Deals (Audi, Golf or Scirocco)23
    2. Any know of offers on London eye and Maddam Tussauds please11
    3. E-liquid44
    4. Acer RT280k Monitor refuses to sleep.56

See more discussions