Looking for a new decent laptop. Internet issues with current laptop...

Found 26th Jul 2017
My budget is £350 max. Prefer not to spend that much but will if need be.

My 2 yr old Asus laptop will not connect to the internet anymore. I asked in lots of forums, did everything that i was advised but it won't work.
After googling it seems Asus has this problem with their laptops?
Warranty finished 3 weeks prior to the problems. Called customer services, followed all their advice but no help their either.

Would it be better/financially worthwhile to get it fixed from the shop or buy another?

I need a decent laptop. My children need it for high school work, watch youtube and play online children's games. I need it to browse and shop. lol.

1. Ask
  2. Laptop
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Laptop
11 Comments

Have you tried replacing the WIFI card?

use sale of goods act and tell customer service that item is not fit for purpouse. laptop should not die/be unusable just like that in few years. (search for "700 washing machine" here for the same issue). if you can prove that this is a common issue on this laptop you have even more chances of getting it replaced/fixed for free
Edited by: "mattsk" 26th Jul 2017

Have you tried using a ethernet cable rather than wi-fi?
Edited by: "bidcorp" 26th Jul 2017

As a temp measure try a USB wifi dongle.

Try replacing the wifi card as already suggested. Its a much cheaper route to go than a new lappy, and not a great loss if it doesn't do the trick.

Ummi, Buying a new laptop would appear slightly excessive if you will excuse me for saying. As "justanothercid" has said why not try a USB WiFi.... I use this model on my HTPC and for the price it's not much of a loss if you don't like it, works just as well as my wired Pc's ...amazon.co.uk/Edi…no..
it's very small and won't get in the way ( so to speak ).

Ummi

...My 2 yr old Asus laptop will not connect to the internet anymore. I … ...My 2 yr old Asus laptop will not connect to the internet anymore. I asked in lots of forums, did everything that i was advised but it won't work. After googling it seems Asus has this problem with their laptops?

Could possibly benefit from a gentle reality check here. Issue will be hardware or software. An issue with existing hardware could be permanently bypassed via using a £2.25 USB wifi adapter, and if that is successful then all sorted and additional consideration could then be given to optionally replacing the internal (and presumed defective) wifi card; a software issue could be bluntly resolved by the overkill of resetting the operating system to factory settings after first backing-up any personal data. If you have performed both of those steps and the lappy is still problematic (highly unlikely), then it may be appropriate to consider replacement.

I know in the past there has been issues with pci faults due to nvidia bad chip bonding. This caused the pci lane for the wifi card to fail. Eventually the board failed losing video due to this problem.
I would research more into fault as it might be more sinister than you think.

justanothercid

As a temp measure try a USB wifi dongle.

This ^^

Obvious thing to do is to try to replace the wifi card like Krisward7955 said. Look on eBay for a replacement.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 26th Jul 2017

Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I bought the usb wifi adapter and i'll see if that works. Hopefully it'll work and i can get a quote for future wifi replacement (if that's the problem).
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions