Looking for a PC

Found 10th Mar
Anybody seen any decent PC's i don't mind if it's refurbished. I mainly will play football manager and civ so would want it to run these games well.
Community Updates
AskElectronics
13 Comments
Use ukpcpartpicker and build your own. It tells you which parts are compatible. It’s cheaper if you build it ourself and you can be sure that it’ll run what you need!! Check the recommended specs for the games you play and get something with a bit more power than that!
Original Poster
cmdr_elito1 m ago

Use ukpcpartpicker and build your own. It tells you which parts are …Use ukpcpartpicker and build your own. It tells you which parts are compatible. It’s cheaper if you build it ourself and you can be sure that it’ll run what you need!! Check the recommended specs for the games you play and get something with a bit more power than that!

People are saying that it's no longer the cheapest way?
damienace23 m ago

People are saying that it's no longer the cheapest way?

Clearly people that have no idea. The cheap systems you see that are pre built often contain a good processor or graphics card but they use cheap or obsolete motherboards, budget PSU and rubbish ram and hard disks.

Which means the system does not perform as good as one with carefully selected parts.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 10th Mar
Original Poster
cmdr_elito2 m ago

Clearly people that have no idea. The cheap systems you see that are pre …Clearly people that have no idea. The cheap systems you see that are pre built often contain a good processor or graphics card but they use cheap or obsolete motherboards, budget PSU and rubbish ram and hard disks.Which means the system does not perform as good as one with carefully selected parts.

That makes sense, care to put me a system together that could play these two games very well? So i can have a price to work from.
What’s your budget and any preference on nvidea or AMD (GPU) or intel or AMD (cpu)
Original Poster
cmdr_elito2 m ago

What’s your budget and any preference on nvidea or AMD (GPU) or intel or A …What’s your budget and any preference on nvidea or AMD (GPU) or intel or AMD (cpu)

£550 but would go more if it was truly worth it, no preference on brands.
Do you already have a tower and any components?
Try that, you can make it cheaper/more expensive by playing around with the parts.
cmdr_elito1 m ago

Try that, you can make it cheaper/more expensive by playing around with …Try that, you can make it cheaper/more expensive by playing around with the parts.

If you already have a tower that you want to use you can save yourself £60. You’ll also need to add in the cost of windows
Alternatively you could swap the AMD processor for an i5 and change the mobo.
I'd just go 2nd hand until you have a good enough budget for a PC. Most decent PCs cost about £1500 or so new but you obviously don't go nuts and buy all that in one go. Most people make the mistake of buying the cheapest PSU they can find and bundle it with a cheap motherboard that doesn't overclock and a high end CPU that does.

I would probably buy a cheap 2nd hand i7 4790 with 8GB of ram and add a cheap 3GB GTX 1060.
damienace5 h, 27 m ago

That makes sense, care to put me a system together that could play these …That makes sense, care to put me a system together that could play these two games very well? So i can have a price to work from.

Counter side of that debate is that system builders and manufacturers source the components a lot cheaper than you will be able to, so value for money is hard to beat and at present that is even more so on memory and graphics front - SSD's are nicely dropping though.

Other factors often missed in self build includes the time taken to build, support on issues as well as even an OS in the example given.

I do agree with cmdr_elite that self build gives you greater control although his list is matched by one seller offering built to order on ebay , bar the psu, at £100 less and invites queries to customise.

Not sure I concur with Kester definition of decent equate to costs of £1500 - a pc to me is a tool to do a task - you define the task and get a tool that is appropriate for the task. £1500 would be vastly overkill for your stated scope above - infact I think an i3 8100 coupled with a 1050ti would also be more than capable of your demands.

Anyway on the other side of the camp for pre built these links have, imo, some fairly decent offers in them:

refurbished msi's from xsonly with 1 year warranty

new G11CD i5 6400 with 970 GTX

N.B. 970GTX is comparable performance wise with a 3GB 1060 - i.e. would be a significant jump above the 1050ti above.

Good luck
Edited by: "Bertz99" 11th Mar
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants