Groups
    EXPIRED

Looking for a PC - About £900 - Where's recommended?

My current PC is coming to the end of its life so Im now shopping around for an upgrade.

Ive looked on PC World, Mesh, Comet, Cube, and Dell & have seen a few that I like the look of.

Looking to spend about £900, want a 1TB drive, as much ram as I can fit in it. A 1mb graphics card & would need quite a fast processor, Intel preferably.

Ive seen a few configs like this about, and I think my main concern is, whether I buy Mesh or not. Ive googled the aforementioned company & have been reading quite a bit of negative posts in forums. Now obviously theres never going to be 100% satisfaction, and even the fact that satisfied people rarely post in forums.

Whats the general consensus about Mesh?

And what about prebuild machines (as opposed to custom) which manufactures are recommended? Ive got a Compaq & havent had problems with it in the 5 years of using it.

Any comments gratefully received

16 Comments

could you not buy yourself the parts and build this cheaper? I brought my pc from palicomp, through ebay, and got the basics there, processor, mobo, ram, HDD ,tower pretty top specs for about 350. (6 months ago i paid 330 for a quad core, 8GB ram, 500GB, Quad 2.4 ghz) That'll leave you 550 for a GFX, Monitor (if needed) and a few other bits. But you should be able to do a pretty heavy desktop for that budget

try cclonline thy r good

I found...
    overclockers.co.uk/sho…-OE

I like the 4GB of Ram and the saucy 275 graphics card. Your have to add Vista 64 onto it for £100 (has the 7 upgrade option).

Best thing I would say though is find someone who can build it for you. Its really not to hard and your get a machine which would put this to shame for about half the price.

Original Poster

jasonodell;6300291

could you not buy yourself the parts and build this cheaper? I brought my … could you not buy yourself the parts and build this cheaper? I brought my pc from palicomp, through ebay, and got the basics there, processor, mobo, ram, HDD ,tower pretty top specs for about 350. (6 months ago i paid 330 for a quad core, 8GB ram, 500GB, Quad 2.4 ghz) That'll leave you 550 for a GFX, Monitor (if needed) and a few other bits. But you should be able to do a pretty heavy desktop for that budget

[FONT=Arial]I've been toying with it.. BUT (big but) I like having some kind of backup, be it warranty or rescue discs[/FONT]

soof2k;6300482

[FONT=Arial]I've been toying with it.. BUT (big but) I like having some … [FONT=Arial]I've been toying with it.. BUT (big but) I like having some kind of backup, be it warranty or rescue discs[/FONT]

yeah that's the only thing with it, although if you know what the problem is, you can replace the parts,

Original Poster

jasonodell;6300528

yeah that's the only thing with it, although if you know what the problem … yeah that's the only thing with it, although if you know what the problem is, you can replace the parts,

I'm confident with PC's but a little lazy I suppose, and don't fancy having to keep opening my own pc up to suss what the problem might be :whistling:

palicomp.co.uk/pc-…tml

If you have a few bits lying around. This'll be well up your alley

Don't know how people come up with cash and then look for a PC specification, surely they want to pay zero and have the best ? Also, from what I've seen and bought, I don't know what sort of user needs more than what you get for a £500 all in spec.

The OP has not upgraded in 5 years and is only doing so now because his current PC is on the way out. I think that is indicative that he doesn't need cutting edge. He just needs a bog standard new PC. Get a HP quad core and a decent printer and 21" screen for £500 all in.

Original Poster

3.1415926;6302926

Don't know how people come up with cash and then look for a PC … Don't know how people come up with cash and then look for a PC specification, surely they want to pay zero and have the best ? Also, from what I've seen and bought, I don't know what sort of user needs more than what you get for a £500 all in spec.The OP has not upgraded in 5 years and is only doing so now because his current PC is on the way out. I think that is indicative that he doesn't need cutting edge. He just needs a bog standard new PC. Get a HP quad core and a decent printer and 21" screen for £500 all in.

Maybe I should've also included the fact I do a lot of audio production & have actually upgraded the memory to 3gb, also using 2.5tb of external hd - don't think a bog standard new pc has that for £500 - plus I've already for a 19" widescreen monitor, and prefer to buy a decent printer & not have a Lexmark :whistling:

All I suppose I'm asking in the first post is where is best to buy from & what makes should I avoid? :thumbsup:

Original Poster

jasonodell;6300605

http://www.palicomp.co.uk/pc-base-units/phoenix-extreme-gaming-pc-base-units/phoenix-q9gtx-base-unit/prod_28.htmlIf you have a few bits lying around. This'll be well up your alley

Not bad actually.. but can't see if it comes with the Windows 7 free upgrade

soof2k;6305615

Not bad actually.. but can't see if it comes with the Windows 7 free … Not bad actually.. but can't see if it comes with the Windows 7 free upgrade

don't think it does, but for another 45 quid best to get that from tesco i think!

Original Poster

jasonodell;6305798

don't think it does, but for another 45 quid best to get that from tesco … don't think it does, but for another 45 quid best to get that from tesco i think!

Ordered one already from Amazon - but that's for my laptop

You didnt mention a monitor in your requirements, is this something you don't need? If so, Dell has exactly what you're looking for -

e-Value code: D00X306

Intel Core 2 Quad-Core Q8300 2.5GHz
    Vista Home Premium
    6144MB RAM
    1TB HDD
    1GB nVidia GeForce GT220 (1000 times better than the 1mb graphics card you required :P lol)
    DVD Writer

This system will cost £879, but I'm sure you know you can get around 5% cashback with Quidco etc. With this being around 60 quid under your budget I'm sure you can purchase a monitor seperately if you need it.

By the way, this is a Dell Studio.

Zak

Original Poster

Zak_K;6306155

You didnt mention a monitor in your requirements, is this something you … You didnt mention a monitor in your requirements, is this something you don't need? If so, Dell has exactly what you're looking for - e-Value code: D00X306Intel Core 2 Quad-Core Q8300 2.5GHzVista Home Premium 6144MB RAM1TB HDD1GB nVidia GeForce GT220 (1000 times better than the 1mb graphics card you required :P lol)DVD WriterThis system will cost £879, but I'm sure you know you can get around 5% cashback with Quidco etc. With this being around 60 quid under your budget I'm sure you can purchase a monitor seperately if you need it.By the way, this is a Dell Studio. Zak

Until you mentioned the four letter word D E L L, I was quite excited... :whistling:

And yes.. I did mean 1gb graphics card... :-D lol

soof2k;6306236

Until you mentioned the four letter word D E L L, I was quite excited... … Until you mentioned the four letter word D E L L, I was quite excited... :whistling:And yes.. I did mean 1gb graphics card... :-D lol

lol fair enough you hate Dell, but as far as a deal goes this is perhaps one of the best that you'll find.

Original Poster

Zak_K;6306251

lol fair enough you hate Dell, but as far as a deal goes this is perhaps … lol fair enough you hate Dell, but as far as a deal goes this is perhaps one of the best that you'll find.

I know...annoying I suppose :roll:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Show us your Photos 2017. September's Theme - 'Earth, Wind & Fire'31449
      2. Try buy that Minecraft Xbone Argos deal? 10% online code in your email!1316
      3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047110
      4. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7121344

See more discussions