Looking for a premium laptop ~£1k

Found 12th JulEdited by:"sputniknick"
I have a XPS12 (1tb ssd/8gb ram/4500u) and I just got an Inspiron 7773 (8550u/16gb/512 m.2/1tb ssd) but it's terrible build quality and is going back. Could anyone recommend a premium laptop that has:

• At least 2 full size USB ports
  • At least 1080p resolution
  • 8gb+ RAM (or 16 if soldered)
  • Storage not important as long as I can put in a 1tb m.2 or 1tb SSD myself

I saw a Porsche Design for £999 from ebuyer but it's on the older 7th gen i7 which only has dual core, the 7773 does at least have the newer 8550 which has four cores
Community Updates
AskComputers
6 Comments
Whoa never knew they did dual core i7s. Sneaky Intel.
kester7628 m ago

Whoa never knew they did dual core i7s. Sneaky Intel.

Likely the majority of i7s sold are dual core. If it's not a majority it's certainly a very large chunk of them as all of the i7s in the most popular M and U suffix ranges have all been dual core until recently.

@sputniknick What do you mean by 1080? It seems unlikely to be the graphics card on that budget, and you haven't specified a screen size so I guess it's not resolution either.

Also, As far as I know there aren't any laptops with USB ports that aren't full sized. Mini-A and Micro-A never really took off, only Mini-B/Micro-B versions for devices you'd plug into a computer. Do you mean you're after Type A ports instead of Type C ports?

Asus' Zenbook range are usually good mid-range options, although smaller at 13-14" rather than the 17" of the 7773.
EndlessWaves1 h, 55 m ago

Likely the majority of i7s sold are dual core. If it's not a majority it's …Likely the majority of i7s sold are dual core. If it's not a majority it's certainly a very large chunk of them as all of the i7s in the most popular M and U suffix ranges have all been dual core until recently. @sputniknick What do you mean by 1080? It seems unlikely to be the graphics card on that budget, and you haven't specified a screen size so I guess it's not resolution either.Also, As far as I know there aren't any laptops with USB ports that aren't full sized. Mini-A and Micro-A never really took off, only Mini-B/Micro-B versions for devices you'd plug into a computer. Do you mean you're after Type A ports instead of Type C ports?Asus' Zenbook range are usually good mid-range options, although smaller at 13-14" rather than the 17" of the 7773.

Ha, Nice example of how to be helpful and an ar*ehole all in one go.
The Acer Predator 21X is quite impressive for playing Freecell and such.
EndlessWaves5 h, 45 m ago

What do you mean by 1080? It seems unlikely to be the graphics card on …What do you mean by 1080? It seems unlikely to be the graphics card on that budget, and you haven't specified a screen size so I guess it's not resolution either.

Sorry that was the resolution I was referring to, it should be at least 1920x1080, I don't need a graphics card as I don't game (the 7773 came with a MX150 which was nice to have but my XPS12 currently has intel 4400 graphics I think and that's been fine)

And yes, traditional full size USBs (2 of them at least) as I have noticed a large number of ultrabooks are now replacing them with Type C's as they're smaller (like one of the MacBooks) but I still have products that require full size USBs

Screen size anything from 13-14", 15" at a push, 17" is like carrying around a kitchen sink!

I had a look at the local mall and the only things at like John Lewis was the Inspiron 7000 13 and some sort of HP envy 13"
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions