Expired

Looking for a reliable washing machine that would last 5 years

Found 26th Jan 2014
Hi all,

Hoping you guys can help me. Our washing machines don't last long and our recent Bush washing machine we got from Argos for £189.99 lasted a whole 7 days before it stopped being able to spin.

We wouldn't like a Beko, another Indesit, Hoover or Bush.

We are looking to spend no more than really £300 with the hope of 2 years guarantee without having to do EU 5 year warranty malarkey. There is only 3 of us in the household but we tend to wash a lot of our clothes regularly in small cycles.

I don't have access to which, nor do I have the ability to do a trial any more. So if anyone has good recommendations from a good retailer (that doesn't mess around with refunds), a good price and a good warranty, please let me know.

We have never had a washing machine last more than 5 years, so that's why I am asking you guys, so any help would be appreciated.
Community Updates
AskWashing Machine
24 Comments
This will last a while.
http://www.ashwooddesigns.co.uk/WashingDolly.gif
Samsung ecobubble. I got mine for £300 but it was a brand new factory second (it had a dent in the side). Bought from elek direct and comes with 5 year guarantee.
ao.com/pro…AWQ not all have the 5 year guarantee so double check.
i love my lg .it was about £350 and well worth it imo . before that i had a siemens 10yrs service only broken by my teenage son putting a ridiculous amount of washing in and broke drum !!
We bought a top of the range samsung Eco bubble 12kg wf1224xac with 5 years warranty in April 13 packed up in jan 14 samsung came out and said they could not repair it. So ordered us a replacement, but will take 48 working days. Not good enough, I would avoid the samsungs. What company writes off an 8 month machine as the can't get there own parts (control board), yet I found the circuit boards online. Very poor service from samsung.
EEK! - I just bought a Samsung and it has 5 year warranty, currently we love the machine and got it at a good price from Appliances Online, it actually comes with a free camera via redemption, no issues with it so far and the reviews are good, however as a member said, his went wrong and the service was no good!! But they all go wrong, mine is replacing a Hotpoint which lasted 2 years, which replaced another Hotpoint that was 2 years old!
Dont buy beko ,terrible problem with seal going black ,they told me its a well knnown problem.drum has ruined clothes !
Panasonic

All our bosch have lasted 4-6 years

Edited by: "smellyonion" 26th Jan 2014
I've got one Siemens 10 years ago second hand! Still no problems with already two kids. So...go with second hand expensive one.
look on the john lewis reviews of the eco bubble. very mixed.
Don't buy a Miele they are rubbish ours had a ten yeay guarantee and kept going wrong from a year in burnt out the motor and they had to send to Germany because it hadn't happened at 3 year old before!!!
Dad had an Hotpoint aquarius which we are keeping as a stand by...we reckon buy cheap and often
Gorenje, for less than £300 you will get 5 years parts and labour warranty.
d19mes1

We bought a top of the range samsung Eco bubble 12kg wf1224xac with 5 … We bought a top of the range samsung Eco bubble 12kg wf1224xac with 5 years warranty in April 13 packed up in jan 14 samsung came out and said they could not repair it. So ordered us a replacement, but will take 48 working days. Not good enough, I would avoid the samsungs. What company writes off an 8 month machine as the can't get there own parts (control board), yet I found the circuit boards online. Very poor service from samsung.

We had almost exactly the same experience, but the machine wasn't completely broken, so we used it until the replacement (eventually) came. Would never buy another Samsung washing machine
Always found indesit to be really good for washing machines, I've still got mine running since 2006 and going strong, not to mention my white knight tumble dryer for +12 years. My tumble dryer has to be the best investment I ever made! only thing that ever needed changing was the door hatch!
and if an indesit doesn't rock your boat, LG have this direct drive washing machine with 10 year warranty I think it was, don't quote me on that though
My mum has had hers since 2007 and its still working like a dream. I think its a hotpoint but ill find out and update this later.
I was told by someone at curry's a while back that in the old days machines were man made so lasted a long time (my father in law has had his over 28 years). Nowadays machines are machine made so dont last very wrong
Hotpoint tends to come out well on tests for lasting a while even though they are cheaper than many makes. Whch? magazine regularly does reports on household appliances ranking them for all sorts of things including durability. You can get a subscription online at which dot co dot uk or your local library would normally have both current and back issues for you to look at. They're mostly really reliable reports on all sorts of things you might need to buy and this sort of thing is just what they cover. I;ve never been disappointed with anything they've rated a best buy.
threesixty360

and if an indesit doesn't rock your boat, LG have this direct drive … and if an indesit doesn't rock your boat, LG have this direct drive washing machine with 10 year warranty I think it was, don't quote me on that though

10 warranty only on the motor though, we have been running our LG for nearly 4 years apart from a damaged seal (own fault) which I replaced easily it has not missed a beat. At £720 I expect it to run for at least another 6 years! Prior to the LG we have run an Indesit and a Hoover washing machine for over 10 years but I guess they don't make them like they used to in this 'throw away buy cheap buy twice society'.
Go with Bosch, worth the extra money/investment.
Many thanks all, I will take into account all your suggestions.
I've had a Hopoint bought in 2008. Still going strong.
Samsung, had mine for over 10 years, never missed a beat.
sterlingdeal

10 warranty only on the motor though, we have been running our LG for … 10 warranty only on the motor though, we have been running our LG for nearly 4 years apart from a damaged seal (own fault) which I replaced easily it has not missed a beat. At £720 I expect it to run for at least another 6 years! Prior to the LG we have run an Indesit and a Hoover washing machine for over 10 years but I guess they don't make them like they used to in this 'throw away buy cheap buy twice society'.

It's true, these days the washing machines they make last around 4-5 years, cheap Labour and inferior quality parts. I would recommend white knight for tumble dryers though, I can't believe mines still going!
We have a Bosch Exxcel, 6 years old, used most days and works as well now as on day one
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants