Expired

Looking for a router that goes up to 200MB

Found 11th Mar
So i was on virgin media 50MB and had it in modem mode connected to a cheap tp link router. I would get speeds of 55-58MB so it was all great. Today I upgraded to 200MB for a month to test it out but I'm only getting 93-94MB via the tp link but 200MB+ via the superhub directly.

Can someone suggest a router that 100% will go at least 200MB or beyond on both wifi and on ethernet?
Cheers
Community Updates
AskElectronics
19 Comments
Both sides need to support these speeds so you need to check that whatever is receiving can support it.
Original Poster
kester765 m ago

Both sides need to support these speeds so you need to check that whatever …Both sides need to support these speeds so you need to check that whatever is receiving can support it.

i have a gigabit ethernet adapter on my mac and iphone 6s. Direct to the superhub i got over 200mb.
Available from other stores and in other brands but something like this should do it! very.co.uk/tp-…prd
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 11th Mar
Original Poster
cmdr_elito1 h, 37 m ago

Available from other stores and in other brands but something like this …Available from other stores and in other brands but something like this should do it! https://www.very.co.uk/tp-link-ac-3200mbps-tri-band-wi-fi-amp-gigabit-gaming-and-home-router/1600034172.prd

God damn £100+? What does it sincerely do at the price. All I really want is 200MB on the Ethernet and maybe a bit less on the wifi, with the ability to do stuff like force change a sticky IP which my current TP link does well.
FUAARRKK3 h, 38 m ago

God damn £100+? What does it sincerely do at the price. All I really want …God damn £100+? What does it sincerely do at the price. All I really want is 200MB on the Ethernet and maybe a bit less on the wifi, with the ability to do stuff like force change a sticky IP which my current TP link does well.

That was an example there are some cheaper units. If you want 200mb on the Ethernet then go for gigabit ports, if you want more than about 90mb over WiFi you’ll need 5ghz (note the range on 5ghz is much shorter than 2.4ghz).
FUAARRKK5 h, 27 m ago

i have a gigabit ethernet adapter on my mac and iphone 6s. Direct to the …i have a gigabit ethernet adapter on my mac and iphone 6s. Direct to the superhub i got over 200mb.

Ethernet is cheap as you just need a gigabit switch at around £15. WiFi AC is a bit more expensive with a lot of the routers around £60-£70. I just use the sh3.0 as it's good enough. Any reason why you can't use the Super hub?
Original Poster
kester7630 m ago

Ethernet is cheap as you just need a gigabit switch at around £15. WiFi AC …Ethernet is cheap as you just need a gigabit switch at around £15. WiFi AC is a bit more expensive with a lot of the routers around £60-£70. I just use the sh3.0 as it's good enough. Any reason why you can't use the Super hub?

I need to be able to change my IP from time to time.
FUAARRKK27 m ago

I need to be able to change my IP from time to time.

Do you mean VPN wise or something different as you can set IP ranges as static.
Original Poster
kester7616 m ago

Do you mean VPN wise or something different as you can set IP ranges as …Do you mean VPN wise or something different as you can set IP ranges as static.

No just my IP on virgin. I need a router to force change it.
FUAARRKK3 m ago

No just my IP on virgin. I need a router to force change it.

I didn't think you could reset the cable modem ip address.
Original Poster
kester762 m ago

I didn't think you could reset the cable modem ip address.

The virgin Ips are sticky, i believe they change after a prolonged period of not using the modem.

But using a router you can spoof the MAC address and the superhub does something to request a new IP address. Ive been doing it with my £10 router for a while whenever ive needed it changed (i play online games and it gets rowdy sometimes).
FUAARRKK4 m ago

The virgin Ips are sticky, i believe they change after a prolonged period …The virgin Ips are sticky, i believe they change after a prolonged period of not using the modem.But using a router you can spoof the MAC address and the superhub does something to request a new IP address. Ive been doing it with my £10 router for a while whenever ive needed it changed (i play online games and it gets rowdy sometimes).

Why don't you just use a VPN ?
Original Poster
kester764 m ago

Why don't you just use a VPN ?

Because vpns create latency issues.
As cmdr_elito has stated your present router is 100MBps so with overhead you have found it's limitation.

The one he has listed is top end but as he has stated can go alot cheaper albeit not as cheap as you presently have.

As you like tplink you can get the ac1350 at under £40 - ebuyer also have the ac1750 open box at under £59 - I would prefer the later.

@kester the super hub when retrieving its Ip from virgins dhcp registers the Mac address of device requesting. Changing Mac address in effect forces a new registration and is therefore a means to force a new IP address.
Edited by: "Bertz99" 11th Mar
Original Poster
Bertz9914 m ago

As cmdr_elito has stated your present router is 100mbp so with overhead …As cmdr_elito has stated your present router is 100mbp so with overhead you have found it's limitation.The one he has listed is top end but as he has stated can go alot cheaper albeit not as cheap as you presently have.As you like tplink you can get the ac1350 at under £40 - ebuyer also have the ac1750 open box at under £59 - I would prefer the later.@kester the super hub when retrieving its Ip from virgins dhcp registers the Mac address of device requesting. Changing Mac address in effect forces a new registration and is therefore a means to force a new IP address.

gr8 so any router that has gigabit ports + 5g wifi will get me the 200mb max?
FUAARRKK1 h, 38 m ago

gr8 so any router that has gigabit ports + 5g wifi will get me the 200mb …gr8 so any router that has gigabit ports + 5g wifi will get me the 200mb max?

As cmdr_eilto stated on wired gigabytes direct yes (I.e if doing Ethernet over powrt or 100mbps switches beyond you router no).

Wireless well that be a YMMV - both I have linked have wireless ac - the later quoted nearly twice as fast at 1300Mbps.

Want faster than that on wifi then you will need to look upping cost further or wait for ad to become norm and drop current high end.

Reality is as cmdr_elito is stating - 2.4ghz goes further but slower - 5ghz faster but will not travel as far. Having both covers older devices as well as moving behind walls.
Edited by: "Bertz99" 12th Mar
Original Poster
Bertz9922 h, 18 m ago

As cmdr_eilto stated on wired gigabytes direct yes (I.e if doing Ethernet …As cmdr_eilto stated on wired gigabytes direct yes (I.e if doing Ethernet over powrt or 100mbps switches beyond you router no).Wireless well that be a YMMV - both I have linked have wireless ac - the later quoted nearly twice as fast at 1300Mbps.Want faster than that on wifi then you will need to look upping cost further or wait for ad to become norm and drop current high end.Reality is as cmdr_elito is stating - 2.4ghz goes further but slower - 5ghz faster but will not travel as far. Having both covers older devices as well as moving behind walls.

ok, as far as changing IP goes, if I put my SH3 into modem mode, change the IP normally with my TP link, then revert back to my SH3 in normal wireless function mode will I retain the new IP?
FUAARRKK20 m ago

ok, as far as changing IP goes, if I put my SH3 into modem mode, change …ok, as far as changing IP goes, if I put my SH3 into modem mode, change the IP normally with my TP link, then revert back to my SH3 in normal wireless function mode will I retain the new IP?

I think you would get a second change of IP. i.e. switch to modem mode - spoof your mac released the dhcp reservation and requests new. Turn back off modem mode turns your mac to SH3 which in turn releases dhcp reservation and request renew.

At least from what you are describing that would be my best guess.
Edited by: "Bertz99" 12th Mar
Original Poster
Bertz9945 m ago

I think you would get a second change of IP. i.e. switch to modem mode - …I think you would get a second change of IP. i.e. switch to modem mode - spoof your mac released the dhcp reservation and requests new. Turn back off modem mode turns your mac to SH3 which in turn releases dhcp reservation and request renew.At least from what you are describing that would be my best guess.

cool ill give it a try. IIRC though i remember the IP with the SH2 stayed the same when i moved from router to just SH2.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants