Groups

Looking for a single slot gfx card.....

Hi all

I am trying to find a decent spec single slot graphics card for my PC. Cannot be very long nor can it span more than 1.5 slots including the fan.

Any ideas?

12 Comments

I've never heard of a "1.5 slots" width. I'm guessing you mean you only have a single backplate but space underneath/beside it so you can accommodate a dual width card as long as it doesn't have a double width backplate?

And an exact length will be useful. 'Cannot be very long' is a bit vague and is likely to cover anything single slot.

A 750ti is probably the most powerful card that'll fit your width criteria. There are several models that are either single slot or single backplate.

Galax make a GTX 750ti which is single slot. Galax probably make the best value 970 so this could be a cracking card.

overclockers.co.uk/sho…854

Because GPUs usually need a lot of cooling, there arent many powerful single slot cards available. When the GTX 960 is released later in the month, there might be something single slot there as the power requirements will be quite low. Not as low as the 750ti though.

Save more and buy a better spec gpu, you will regret it when some of the games now require fast pc, s I have read that gta5 on the pc will have 4k support, your single gpu probably won't even play that come February, just my opinion pal

Original Poster

EndlessWaves

I've never heard of a "1.5 slots" width. I'm guessing you mean you only … I've never heard of a "1.5 slots" width. I'm guessing you mean you only have a single backplate but space underneath/beside it so you can accommodate a dual width card as long as it doesn't have a double width backplate?And an exact length will be useful. 'Cannot be very long' is a bit vague and is likely to cover anything single slot.A 750ti is probably the most powerful card that'll fit your width criteria. There are several models that are either single slot or single backplate.

sorry for the vagueness.....

the card cannot be too long or it will foul the sata connectors that are all in use

by 1.5 slots width I am referring to the the width of the card plus the fan - some fans stick out far too much

Original Poster

smizzlopi

Galax make a GTX 750ti which is single slot. Galax probably make the best … Galax make a GTX 750ti which is single slot. Galax probably make the best value 970 so this could be a cracking card. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-061-KF&groupid=701&catid=1914&subcat=1854Because GPUs usually need a lot of cooling, there arent many powerful single slot cards available. When the GTX 960 is released later in the month, there might be something single slot there as the power requirements will be quite low. Not as low as the 750ti though.

thanks for your reply....

I had already found that card but it is like rocking horse poo

Original Poster

westy125

Save more and buy a better spec gpu, you will regret it when some of the … Save more and buy a better spec gpu, you will regret it when some of the games now require fast pc, s I have read that gta5 on the pc will have 4k support, your single gpu probably won't even play that come February, just my opinion pal

cost of the card is pretty much irrelevant - it is all to do with the size of my PC case (Fractal Node 304), which is aesthetically more pleasing than some of the cases I see nowadays - but is quite small and does not have space for the mega-sized gfx cards that are on the market today - and besides, I am not a big gamer and GTA5 is not the type of game that I would play

I thought the Node 304 had space for a dual slot card?

Would this do?
    overclockers.co.uk/sho…010

It's the most powerful ITX card around. It's no longer than the motherboard you'll have in the case and really, the card is built to go in small spaces. It's not released yet but it should be around soon as it was expected before Christmas.

CockneySpur

cost of the card is pretty much irrelevant - it is all to do with the … cost of the card is pretty much irrelevant - it is all to do with the size of my PC case (Fractal Node 304), which is aesthetically more pleasing than some of the cases I see nowadays - but is quite small and does not have space for the mega-sized gfx cards that are on the market today - and besides, I am not a big gamer and GTA5 is not the type of game that I would play

Sorry I assumed you wanted a decent spec graphics card for gaming, if you don't then the advice above,

Original Poster

smizzlopi

I thought the Node 304 had space for a dual slot card? Would this … I thought the Node 304 had space for a dual slot card? Would this do?http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-356-AS&groupid=701&catid=1914&subcat=1010It's the most powerful ITX card around. It's no longer than the motherboard you'll have in the case and really, the card is built to go in small spaces. It's not released yet but it should be around soon as it was expected before Christmas.

that is not bad but still a little too wide - the fan would be still too close to the side of the case

thanks anyways

There should be a vent where the GPU sits which allows for the card to suck in fresh air from outside the case. If you look at builds where the Node 304 has been used, plenty of people use cards where the GPU is dual slot. Look on uk.pcpartpicker.com

Original Poster

westy125

Sorry I assumed you wanted a decent spec graphics card for gaming, if you … Sorry I assumed you wanted a decent spec graphics card for gaming, if you don't then the advice above,

you assume correct, but gaming comes 2nd to how my apartment looks, and the PC is in the lounge

Original Poster

smizzlopi

There should be a vent where the GPU sits which allows for the card to … There should be a vent where the GPU sits which allows for the card to suck in fresh air from outside the case. If you look at builds where the Node 304 has been used, plenty of people use cards where the GPU is dual slot. Look on uk.pcpartpicker.com

thanks for the link - I need to do some more reading, but you have been a great help

i guess this is what happens when you move into IT management from a tech role
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Parcel Hero weight adjustment58
      2. Sportsmania.eu down. Any alternatives?2854
      3. I want some backless loafers for men33
      4. Hard drive 'died'(?), what can I do? (for computer wizards please!)510

See more discussions