Looking for a sound bar that can play DTS

Posted 26th Oct
Hey guys would appreciate a bit of help, my current Samsung 4k TV unfortunately doesn’t not support DTS. Can anyone recommend a decent sound bar which can Play DTS. Everything I try to play a DTS movie on my TV it comes with an error saying ‘so sound’ when I can play it on my MacBook absolutely fine.

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

21 Comments
What model Samsung you got?

I have the Yamaha Yas-207 alongside my Samsung TV and its amazing
Edited by: "efc_4ever" 26th Oct
Pretty much no TVs can decode the DTS tracks from video files because they don't want to pay a licence fee to DTS. Similar video files with Dolby, AC3, AAC etc audio tracks will play just fine.

The problem you have is the tv will never be able to decode DTS, so buying a soundbar won't change things, the TV would still need to decode the audio to give the audio to the soundbar, so if you buy a soundbar that will still get no sound.

Your way round is to either get another device to play the video files (which can play DTS audio) like an Nvidia Shield, Android box, computer or you could convert the DTS audio tracks to something else which the tv can play, this is a very long winded task.
I use a program called 'MKVToolNix' to remove the DTS track (takes about 15 seconds on my pc) from the .mkv, which creates a .mka, I then take that .mka and use something like 'EZ CD Audio Converter' to convert the .mka to a .ac3 file. I then use MKVToolNix to attach the .ac3 to the original file. You end up with the original everything with a ac3 audio track fo the original audio, which can still be 5.1 or 7.1 sound and very high quality, just not DTS, so the TV can play it.
I've tried using a pc plugged into the TV and a android box etc, but it's just nice to have a few 2TB portable external drives which I can take round the house to various TVs and play any file I want on that TV without having expensive boxes at each TV.
MIDURIX26/10/2019 09:41

Pretty much no TVs can decode the DTS tracks from video files because they …Pretty much no TVs can decode the DTS tracks from video files because they don't want to pay a licence fee to DTS. Similar video files with Dolby, AC3, AAC etc audio tracks will play just fine.The problem you have is the tv will never be able to decode DTS, so buying a soundbar won't change things, the TV would still need to decode the audio to give the audio to the soundbar, so if you buy a soundbar that will still get no sound.Your way round is to either get another device to play the video files (which can play DTS audio) like an Nvidia Shield, Android box, computer or you could convert the DTS audio tracks to something else which the tv can play, this is a very long winded task.

I'm pretty sure some soundbars have an hdmi in (to play the sound from the input device) and an hdmi out (to output the video to the tv). Obviously this assumes that the device playing the video has an hdmi out and the op is not just using a usb device.
MIDURIX26/10/2019 09:41

Pretty much no TVs can decode the DTS tracks from video files because they …Pretty much no TVs can decode the DTS tracks from video files because they don't want to pay a licence fee to DTS. Similar video files with Dolby, AC3, AAC etc audio tracks will play just fine.The problem you have is the tv will never be able to decode DTS, so buying a soundbar won't change things, the TV would still need to decode the audio to give the audio to the soundbar, so if you buy a soundbar that will still get no sound.Your way round is to either get another device to play the video files (which can play DTS audio) like an Nvidia Shield, Android box, computer or you could convert the DTS audio tracks to something else which the tv can play, this is a very long winded task.

Dts should pass through untouched through hdmi arc depending on what your setup is.
Freddy_uk26/10/2019 12:22

Dts should pass through untouched through hdmi arc depending on what your …Dts should pass through untouched through hdmi arc depending on what your setup is.

Most TVs do not support bitstream passthrough and will only send DD+ through ARC
MadeDixonsCry26/10/2019 10:25

I'm pretty sure some soundbars have an hdmi in (to play the sound from the …I'm pretty sure some soundbars have an hdmi in (to play the sound from the input device) and an hdmi out (to output the video to the tv). Obviously this assumes that the device playing the video has an hdmi out and the op is not just using a usb device.

The OP will be using a usb device.
The TV is handling the video and the audio, there is no way to pass the audio duties to another device, the TV will just refuse to play the DTS and there is only the option of re-encoding the DTS on a pc then playing the file or getting a device which supports DTS to play the file.
MadeDixonsCry26/10/2019 12:51

Would this play video off the usb? …Would this play video off the usb? https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/dvd-blu-ray-and-home-cinema/home-cinema-systems-and-sound-bars/sony-ht-x8500-2-1-all-in-one-sound-bar-with-dolby-atmos-10191275-pdt.html

I don't think a soundbar would handle just the audio and pass the video to the TV, could be wrong. Some Blu-ray players or similar would play the video file through a usb port and handle the audio and then send video to the TV, but it just means having another device to just decode one type of audio track.
It is very annoying.
Thank you so much guys for your comments they have been really helpful I have a Samsung NU7100 which does not support DTS, what is the best workaround for this? ( preferably avoid manual deciding of audio, as I believe it to be very time consuming)

Note - I usually watch content via USB/External Harddrive. I also own an Amazon 4K fire TV it that helps, is it possible to play the media files via that? Using Kodi perhaps
Edited by: "RatedREra" 26th Oct
RatedREra26/10/2019 14:16

Thank you so much guys for your comments they have been really helpful I …Thank you so much guys for your comments they have been really helpful I have a Samsung NU7100 which does not support DTS, what is the best workaround for this? ( preferably avoid manual deciding of audio, as I believe it to be very time consuming)Note - I usually watch content via USB/External Harddrive. I also own an Amazon 4K fire TV it that helps, is it possible to play the media files via that? Using Kodi perhaps

No, Amazon Fire TV won't help. The TVs aren't designed for people to watch video files with DTS audio because the only way files like that are going to be played is illegally after downloading them from torrent sites etc, so TV manufacturers just don't bother paying DTS for something which should never happen.
An android box with Kodi or similar on it will play the files and do the decoding for you.
MIDURIX26/10/2019 15:13

No, Amazon Fire TV won't help. The TVs aren't designed for people to watch …No, Amazon Fire TV won't help. The TVs aren't designed for people to watch video files with DTS audio because the only way files like that are going to be played is illegally after downloading them from torrent sites etc, so TV manufacturers just don't bother paying DTS for something which should never happen.An android box with Kodi or similar on it will play the files and do the decoding for you.

Thanks for your reply.

What if I use Kodi on the fire stick and then play it using that? But I’m thinking how will Kodi know where my hard drive is if you know what I mean :/
RatedREra26/10/2019 16:48

Thanks for your reply.What if I use Kodi on the fire stick and then play …Thanks for your reply.What if I use Kodi on the fire stick and then play it using that? But I’m thinking how will Kodi know where my hard drive is if you know what I mean :/

That's why I said the Firestick won't work, you can't plug anything in.
MIDURIX26/10/2019 12:37

Most TVs do not support bitstream passthrough and will only send DD+ …Most TVs do not support bitstream passthrough and will only send DD+ through ARC

This goes against that.

lg.com/ca_…ers
Freddy_uk27/10/2019 05:46

This goes against …This goes against that.https://www.lg.com/ca_en/support/product-help/CT20098005-1437136302910-others

If the audio was from the built in Freeview tuner and that audio was encoded as DTS audio I would say absolutely it would work. But the fact is the built in media player refuses to play DTS audio, so will it be able to passthrough the audio track it refuses to play?
MIDURIX27/10/2019 07:19

If the audio was from the built in Freeview tuner and that audio was …If the audio was from the built in Freeview tuner and that audio was encoded as DTS audio I would say absolutely it would work. But the fact is the built in media player refuses to play DTS audio, so will it be able to passthrough the audio track it refuses to play?

This is what plex appears to do on my set.
Freddy_uk27/10/2019 08:11

This is what plex appears to do on my set.

So what is your setup?
MIDURIX27/10/2019 08:13

So what is your setup?

Nothing special, it may require the author to do the same though.

I have the plex server installed on a Mac, plex installed on the tv (LG B8) and a relatively old Sony soundbar which support dts. Plex direct plays any dts to the soundbar through optical and used hdmi to pass the volume commands.

It was said earlier no TVs support dts so if that’s the case and my previous link seemed to imply that too it must at least be able to pass the stream, again that link implied that too.

You might know more of what’s going on here.
Freddy_uk27/10/2019 08:33

Nothing special, it may require the author to do the same though.I have …Nothing special, it may require the author to do the same though.I have the plex server installed on a Mac, plex installed on the tv (LG B8) and a relatively old Sony soundbar which support dts. Plex direct plays any dts to the soundbar through optical and used hdmi to pass the volume commands. It was said earlier no TVs support dts so if that’s the case and my previous link seemed to imply that too it must at least be able to pass the stream, again that link implied that too.You might know more of what’s going on here.

Surely in your case the Mac is doing decoding of the audio or can do if needed. Or the Plex on the TV is clever enough to take the DTS and send it straight to the soundbar. If you just plug a usb stick into a TV like the OP, the built in media player has to decide what to do with the audio, in this case it just says it's not a valid format. I've had this with a 5 year old LG, a 4 year old Samsung, 1 year old Samsung and 2 year old Panasonic. None of them will play DTS from a usb stick.
MIDURIX27/10/2019 13:46

Surely in your case the Mac is doing decoding of the audio or can do if …Surely in your case the Mac is doing decoding of the audio or can do if needed. Or the Plex on the TV is clever enough to take the DTS and send it straight to the soundbar. If you just plug a usb stick into a TV like the OP, the built in media player has to decide what to do with the audio, in this case it just says it's not a valid format. I've had this with a 5 year old LG, a 4 year old Samsung, 1 year old Samsung and 2 year old Panasonic. None of them will play DTS from a usb stick.

Never tried from a stick. No the Mac isn’t transcoding anything
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants