Looking for a super slim plug

Posted 17th Dec 2019
Need to put a lamp in the living room but the wall socket is behind the sofa - anyone know what's the thinnest plug available that I could use?

I think they're usually around 20mm thick, any chance of getting one around 10mm thick?

thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

13 Comments
39417840-pdzGi.jpgYou could use a flex outlet instead of a plug, wire the lamp straight into the outlet and correctly fuse it. Like this
39417857.jpg

(Ps kids DONT TRY THIS AT HOME!)
Edited by: "bluep" 17th Dec 2019
Flex outlet, wow, think that’ll do the job!

I have a double socket there, is it available in a double unit?
ScoobyDoobyDoo17/12/2019 16:50

Flex outlet, wow, think that’ll do the job! I have a double socket there, i …Flex outlet, wow, think that’ll do the job! I have a double socket there, is it available in a double unit?

you know what I’ve never seen that available, I will have a look for you but come to think about it I don’t think I’ve ever seen one
Why would a 20mm plug get in the way of a sofa? Most are angled at the back.
Dannyrobbo17/12/2019 17:04

you know what I’ve never seen that available, I will have a look for you b …you know what I’ve never seen that available, I will have a look for you but come to think about it I don’t think I’ve ever seen one

They were commonly used as a way of safely wiring wall heaters in bedrooms. As you say, they're not so common now.
ScoobyDoobyDoo17/12/2019 16:50

Flex outlet, wow, think that’ll do the job! I have a double socket there, i …Flex outlet, wow, think that’ll do the job! I have a double socket there, is it available in a double unit?

You can get a dual back box to take two single sockets, but it obviously wider so the hole in the wall will need enlarging and replacing a metal box with the cables and sometimes conduit sticking through one of the holes isn't easy if you don't intend to redecorate.

screwfix.com/p/a…234

screwfix.com/p/a…772

However, a table or floor lamp permanently attached to the wall by its cable would be right royal PITA.

Could you have the sofa 10mm further out from the wall.
Edited by: "melted" 17th Dec 2019
I think about 10mm is all we have due to the door opening.

Had the house decorated recently so can’t really afford to have trades people in again.

On the plug front, what’s the slimmest plug available?
ScoobyDoobyDoo17/12/2019 19:52

I think about 10mm is all we have due to the door opening.Had the house …I think about 10mm is all we have due to the door opening.Had the house decorated recently so can’t really afford to have trades people in again. On the plug front, what’s the slimmest plug available?

I don’t think you are going to get much smaller than about 20mm. I had no luck on the double flex outlet I don’t think they sell them. As somebody said above you can get a back box that will give you two singles, there also may be a modular plate that will fit double and you can blank off and have a flex outlet module, but as of yet I’ve not found one
I can`t believe I`ve sat here and read this
ScoobyDoobyDoo17/12/2019 19:52

I think about 10mm is all we have due to the door opening.Had the house …I think about 10mm is all we have due to the door opening.Had the house decorated recently so can’t really afford to have trades people in again. On the plug front, what’s the slimmest plug available?

Post a pic of the socket, sofa and door.
chocci17/12/2019 21:19

Post a pic of the socket, sofa and door.

No please don`t
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions