Looking for advice on ESP8266 microcontroller project

Found 24th Oct 2017
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any familiarity with the ESP8266 controller as I've seen it mentioned a couple of times in arduino posts?

It's been a while since I played around with a microcontroller and things have moved on somewhat, so I'm just after some pointers around linking multiple devices together wirelessly.

I'd like to make a simple game with multiple devices that have a button, an LED and possibly a buzzer. Each person in the game will have one of these units. There would be a central unit that controls the game and that will determine the order to switch on the LED on a particular unit. The unit that is lit is then required to press the button to acknowledge the light and the sequence moves on.

I'm not too concerned about the game logic or controlling the electronics, my question is really as to whether this is possible with the device I'm looking at and if not, can anyone offer an alternative.

I was thinking each unit would have the ESP8266 with the central unit perhaps housing a Pi Zero W, so that it can be "programmed" from an app on a phone/tablet using bluetooth then sit on the same network as the individual units. The units and controller should be on their own unique wireless network, so that it's portable.

Hope that makes sense to somebody and any advice would be greatly received.

Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
Hi
To be honest id be tempted to go Bluetooth LE and have the phone as the central device, dev will be easier as you're only working on one embedded devices, battery life will be better.

If you do want to use your own central device check that the wifi control can act as a AP as some only allow p2p connections as they are intended for small node device.
Hi jimhuf,

Thanks for that. I've never come across Bluetooth LE before, but a quick google on it suggests that's exactly what I should be looking at.

Any suggestion on a device to use (i.e.: would this be a module for a separate Arduino)?
If you have a look on Banggood.com using the brand names Geekcreit and Sonoff you will find a lot of equipment based on the ESP8266 controller.

I'm a user of the products but using just the stock firmware and phone app - not yet into hacking them!
Thanks Van1973, I'll have a nosey.
maj309127 m ago

Hi jimhuf,Thanks for that. I've never come across Bluetooth LE before, but …Hi jimhuf,Thanks for that. I've never come across Bluetooth LE before, but a quick google on it suggests that's exactly what I should be looking at.Any suggestion on a device to use (i.e.: would this be a module for a separate Arduino)?

It depends how you want to go about it really, i have used BT Modules which are all in one modules (this) but its a steep learning curve, something like this might be better as all the libraries will already exist, you can probably get that or a clone cheaper from china
Thanks again on the suggestions.

Obviously a big difference on the price front, so that may be a considering factor.

Regarding the learning curve on the first module, was that more a hardware or software one?
maj30911 h, 7 m ago

Thanks again on the suggestions. Obviously a big difference on the price …Thanks again on the suggestions. Obviously a big difference on the price front, so that may be a considering factor.Regarding the learning curve on the first module, was that more a hardware or software one?

Software. The module has its own logic core and i wrote my app directly onto that, needed a paid for compiler and JTag programmer... so probably not ideal. However they do have a free scripting language you can use with modules like that. You can get BLE modules from china for a couple of quid that run the same core. Something like this you can also by cheap key finders and hack them. Tell you what, ill have a route through a box of bits i have and you can have some BLE modules for nowt, been meaning to clear out them anyway.

Edit: You want this lot?

32302058-XmW0Q.jpgMainly beacons, but most can be programmed OTA, the red board is a 2.4Ghz chipset that can be used pretty easily, The USB is a Bluegiga BLE dev kit, all in one. Im pretty sure i have a full devkit somewhere (might have chucked it last month)
Edited by: "jimhuf" 24th Oct 2017
Seriously? That would awesome and greatly appreciated.

I'm more than happy to pay for them, as at least I'll know they should do what I want.

Thank you so much.
PS THe ESP32 is an upgraded ESP8266 with bluetooth if you're interested. Can be flashed to use the Arduino IDE...
IamMT7 m ago

PS THe ESP32 is an upgraded ESP8266 with bluetooth if you're interested. …PS THe ESP32 is an upgraded ESP8266 with bluetooth if you're interested. Can be flashed to use the Arduino IDE...

Thanks IanMT, so many things to choose from nowadays, compared to 20+ years ago when I last played with an MCU!
maj309149 m ago

Seriously? That would awesome and greatly appreciated. I'm more than happy …Seriously? That would awesome and greatly appreciated. I'm more than happy to pay for them, as at least I'll know they should do what I want.Thank you so much.

No payment need. i have loads of jiffy bags and i can cover the cost of a stamp. message me your address and ill send them. They are only gathering dust here
PM Sent.

Thanks again.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants