Groups

looking for advice re upholstering 3+2+1 sofa set, wondering if it's worth it or better to get new set, financially. does anyone know the price? thank you

As above

4 Comments

Depends how much you like doing that kind of thing yourself. I had a 3 piece i bought from Courts but was fed up with the colour. Bought some white sturdy curtains from Ikea, 4 sets, and recovered whole thing myself, cost me £50. That was 6 years ago and they are still going strong. I made them removable covers, being white i wanted to able to wash them. I do like sewing and had never done it before, but it wasnt difficult at all. It was a case of laying opened curtain over sofa and pinning in the shape, cutting around shape and adding sides and pinning together. Its mostly all straight lines. I would certainly do it again.

OP, you presumably mean recover?

bigworlds

Depends how much you like doing that kind of thing yourself. I had a 3 … Depends how much you like doing that kind of thing yourself. I had a 3 piece i bought from Courts but was fed up with the colour. Bought some white sturdy curtains from Ikea, 4 sets, and recovered whole thing myself, cost me £50. That was 6 years ago and they are still going strong. I made them removable covers, being white i wanted to able to wash them. I do like sewing and had never done it before, but it wasnt difficult at all. It was a case of laying opened curtain over sofa and pinning in the shape, cutting around shape and adding sides and pinning together. Its mostly all straight lines. I would certainly do it again.

Well done you, I'm very impressed

If you mean re-covering, what have you got to lose? If you mean re-upholstering (foam, padding and covers) it depends on the quality of the frame. Many of the 'budget' sofas made today are cheap materials, put together quite cheaply and don't take kindly to being re-upholstered. If your present suite is good quality, re-upholstery is a viable option.
    My advice if you do get your suite re-upholstered is to get it done professionally, check out samples of their work. See them in their workshop, how they work etc. A genuine craftsman will be proud to show you how they work.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 37 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk2121
      2. Tv choice magazine Issue 3977
      3. Magazine competitions - Issue 38 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1414
      4. Win a Free minion usb stick22

See more discussions