looking for an online mmorpg

I'm looking for a good online mmorpg, i have played runescape int he past ( hate how it's been changed since i last played though ) i've played Atlantica online ( great game but for various reasons i can't play that any more ), i've played tribal wars for a while as well ( but couldnt stand having to wait for things to build , so now on the hunt for a new game, i like mmorpgs, i like strategy games like command and conquer / age of empires types..

does anyone have any reccomendations?

14 Comments

world of warcraft

Original Poster

I had thought about WOW muffin but i don't want to bother with going out and buying the discs etc and having to keep getting new updates as and when they come out, looking for something that i either download a platform for or play int he browser really.

Are you only looking for free online games or would you pay monthly?

If you would possibly pay then you should give World of Warcraft a go. You can try a free trial to see if you liked it or not.

Original Poster

nah not into the monthly paying ones, i don't mind item malls as it's a choice wether to buy the items or not but not keen on pay monthly ones, so i guess the freeer the better lol.

When did you last play Runescape? I haven't played in a while, but noticed the other day that they have brought free trade back and also Wilderness.

There used to be a game called Graal around about around 10 years ago which was pretty fun.
I think its still about

Banned

Starcraft 2 ( like command and conquer but more in depth and better )

World of warcraft ( i know your not keen on monthly pay, but its worth it )

Minecraft ( ignore the graphics with a nice texture pack )

guildwars ( a free MMO, have to buy discs etc tho but no monthly cost and actually good fun )

Banned

HybridTheory

Starcraft 2 ( like command and conquer but more in depth and better … Starcraft 2 ( like command and conquer but more in depth and better )World of warcraft ( i know your not keen on monthly pay, but its worth it )Minecraft ( ignore the graphics with a nice texture pack )guildwars ( a free MMO, have to buy discs etc tho but no monthly cost and actually good fun )

Great selection. Minecraft = The best game ever

Original Poster

amfan

When did you last play Runescape? I haven't played in a while, but … When did you last play Runescape? I haven't played in a while, but noticed the other day that they have brought free trade back and also Wilderness.

The last time i played runescape was about 10 months ago, i went on to see what they had done to it and they had put a limit on how much gold, wood, ore etc that you could trade in one go which i thought was a totally insane idea and i don't like it at all.

Thank you hybrid for the other games you have mentioned i will take a look at them, i'm only after something i can play a few hours at night when there's nothing else to do, hopefully one of these will be what i'm loooking for.

Banned

Redfang55

The last time i played runescape was about 10 months ago, i went on to … The last time i played runescape was about 10 months ago, i went on to see what they had done to it and they had put a limit on how much gold, wood, ore etc that you could trade in one go which i thought was a totally insane idea and i don't like it at all.Thank you hybrid for the other games you have mentioned i will take a look at them, i'm only after something i can play a few hours at night when there's nothing else to do, hopefully one of these will be what i'm loooking for.

careful for minecraft then as a few hours can turn into a few days :P its insanely addicting, starcraft is good for a few hours each night and the amount of custom stuff is brill.

champions online is free to play (couple of restrictions on it - see freebies section)
bit similar to wow

Original Poster

hi brilly, many thanks for that reccomendation i will most certainly have a gander at that one.

Lord of the Rings Online
Champions Online (mentioned above, but its worth another mention)
GuildWars (also menioned but is great) is available for around £15 for the whole series! GW2 due soon(ish) though
Age of Conan (I think)
D&D online

try a google search for free to play mmorpg - some come up but I can't view the pages at work

My mate was at number two on tribal wars... and that almost wrecked his marriage (I know cos his wife was threatin him with divorce papers if he didnt give up) so be careful...:)
Edited by: "5minsalone" 6th Mar 2011
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763883
    2. Cheapo tips for around the home. Aka "life hacks"2029
    3. (heads up) Mini SNES price finally dropped on Amazon pre orders56
    4. What an absolute disgrace2147

See more discussions