Looking for Android Tablet recommendations

Found 16th Feb
I am looking for recommendations for an Android tablet pc

Maximum budget is £200 but less if possible

We had been looking at the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (16gb + 2gb ram) which is priced at just under £200 but we were wondering if there is anything better spec'd or cheaper for the money we should be considering

Would prefer the latest version of Android, at least 2gb ram (more if possible within budget), minimum of 16gb storage, full hd screen, micro sd card support, recognizable brand + any other features which 'those in the know' think are invaluable

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and opinions

15 Comments

that's the 1 I have and I can't even fault it it's a brilliant tab

The Tab A 10.1 is avail for £179 direct from Samsung atm via bluelight app. And comes with a free 128gb sd card (worth £30 odd). Tab s2 9.7 also at £307- by far the better tab.

Best specs at this price range. Better than tabs twice the price. amazon.co.uk/gp/…1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1487260132&sr=8-2π=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=nvidia+shield&dpPl=1&dpID=41E%2BkRB1irL&ref=plSrch

dereklogan7

Best specs at this price range. Better than tabs twice the price. … Best specs at this price range. Better than tabs twice the price. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0171BS9CG/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1487260132&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=nvidia+shield&dpPl=1&dpID=41E%2BkRB1irL&ref=plSrch:)

yep, great tablet for the price and age. Shame they didnt do a larger one. Hope they release another. the support from nvidia has been amazing

badasschris

yep, great tablet for the price and age. Shame they didnt do a larger … yep, great tablet for the price and age. Shame they didnt do a larger one. Hope they release another. the support from nvidia has been amazing

I know, a 10" would be perfect don't know why they haven't done one.

Original Poster

thanks all for the contributions, my mind was pretty much set on that Galaxy deal with the free memory card but now that Nvidia Shield Tablet has thrown a massive spanner in the works

would either of you be able to tell me what the main benefits of the Nvidia are please ? I see it has marshmallow and 2gb ram, but am unsure on the rest of the jargon

m14x74

thanks all for the contributions, my mind was pretty much set on that … thanks all for the contributions, my mind was pretty much set on that Galaxy deal with the free memory card but now that Nvidia Shield Tablet has thrown a massive spanner in the workswould either of you be able to tell me what the main benefits of the Nvidia are please ? I see it has marshmallow and 2gb ram, but am unsure on the rest of the jargon

its just had nougat released. It has a very powerful gpu, so very good for gaming. It's widescreen so although the screen is smaller its better for watching videos. The tab a will probably be better for reading/ web browsing.

Rich069

The Tab A 10.1 is avail for £179 direct from Samsung atm via bluelight … The Tab A 10.1 is avail for £179 direct from Samsung atm via bluelight app. And comes with a free 128gb sd card (worth £30 odd). Tab s2 9.7 also at £307- by far the better tab.

Am I right in thinking bluelight is for emergy service workers only? Also is this tab a 4:3 ratio?

Thanks

Original Poster

guys how does this Lenovo compare (for the money) ??

hotukdeals.com/dea…653

Wooderson

Am I right in thinking bluelight is for emergy service workers only? Also … Am I right in thinking bluelight is for emergy service workers only? Also is this tab a 4:3 ratio?Thanks

​No id needed to register on app. No its not 4.3. The older 2015 version was.

Original Poster

Rich069

The Tab A 10.1 is avail for £179 direct from Samsung atm via bluelight … The Tab A 10.1 is avail for £179 direct from Samsung atm via bluelight app. And comes with a free 128gb sd card (worth £30 odd). Tab s2 9.7 also at £307- by far the better tab.

Hi @Rich069

Thanks for the advice, giving serious consideration to your recommendation of the Samsung Galaxy tab S2 (10.7 version)

But with the reported release of the S3 coming soon, would I be better off waiting for the new model OR waiting for the S2 to price plummet on release of the new model ?

Hope you don't mind me tagging you again for advice, thanks

hi, 9.7. Ive read the s3 will be almost identical specs, but with the facility to use the s pen thing that the note uses-all tbc. It would also be expensive-no less than £399 i bet. It may drop the s2 price, but again who knows. I briefly had the tab a 2016, but cant get used to the 16:9 letterbox sizing. The 4:3 ratio on the tab s2 (like ipads) are by far the most natural way to hold/use tablets. only advantage of the 16:9 format is when watching films (that are mostly in that). You do get what you pay for with the tab s2, better screen, faster processor, higher ram and bigger storage.

Original Poster

that is some great info, thanks for sharing your opinions on this.

I think I am pretty much sold on an S series, but still unsure if I will go for the S2 or S3

Thanks for taking time to reply

Original Poster

So torn what to do now, a family member works for John Lewis and can get me the Samsung Tab S2 for £296 (staff discount)

But the anouncement for the Tab S3 is due on the 26th, So I am worried if I buy it now that it will get heavily discounted in the coming weeks OR the new S3 will offer way more spec

As it is a purchase I don't intend making again I am so torn on what to do now

Original Poster

For anybody else who was following this, I ended up buying the Nvidia Shield K1 Tablet a few weeks back and have put it through its paces and have to say I am very happy with it
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Anger over Donald Trump's UK crime tweet3599
    2. Boredom11
    3. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITH* A VPN (Virtual Private Network)72568
    4. Add one, leave one game54415474

See more discussions