Groups

Looking for Artificial Grass - Advice Needed

I've got a couple of poor patio areas that i want to cover with artificial grass, 2 x 3.7m & 2.3 x 2.7m.
    It's like a minefield to get correct, non-bias information on what i should be looking for, density and weight i hear about, but doesn't always seem to be mentioned. Another is height, but i expect that to be a preference not a note of quality. Also there's uv protection, and things like warranty that some sellers make out it's a good thing to have a 2 year warranty....... so do are they only really expected to last 2 years? I was hoping 5 years at least looking at the prices.
    I'm in Oxfordshire and can only find installers rather then suppliers and would rather not buy from the likes of Homebase, B&Q, as they seem really expensive.
    Any advice on what to look for to help point me in the right direction will be much appreciated.

14 Comments

Watching this with interest as will be in the same boat, sick of the dogs turning the garden into a mud bath every winter. Also we have a flat roof area above the garage that is our back garden & I'd like to put artificial grass down to cover the asphalt make it nicer to go out there

I found some supply only companies just with a little Googling they even sent free samples out.

Do update how you get on as I'd be really interested

1 year ago my mum got some artificial grass to cover her back yard as she hates concrete. She is very happy with it. It was from home bargains and was £19.99 per roll. Very large rolls.. possibly just about the size you are after but not sure on that. She has plants and a dog that uses the yard at night if he needs to go potty lol. She just hoses it down every so often and it has not faded and she is very happy with it. I'm sure they still sell it, might be worth going down to homebargains and checking them out yourself

The home bargains stuff is actually pretty decent really.

Got mine from Ebay, think it was from a carpet company in Oldham, can't check now but have a look much cheaper than Homebase etc. and much better quality than Home Bargains.

have a look on flooringsuperstore.com . good variety and not bad prices.

Home Bargains usually have it in by the Spring.

Original Poster

Think i might have found a good place to buy from, 1st i found this website cheapgrass.co.uk apart from the 'cheap' name they seem a professional outfit and the Tuda grass looks good quality. But then on further searches found the Tuda name being sold cheaper on ebay from this seller stores.ebay.co.uk/tud…ct/ and they do have good really good feedback for the quantity of orders they process, albeit not all grass, but has given me the confidence to give them a whirl. Fingers crossed, i went for the Luxury name, not quite the weight i would have liked, but i'm just sticking it down on patio slabs so should be ok.

Uridium

The home bargains stuff is actually pretty decent really.

Oops actually meant B&M (I always mix the two of them up)

I bought some roll ends last summer for a project in the garden and was pretty impressed with the B&M artificial grass
    Edited by: "Uridium" 28th Feb

Original Poster

I've got a question if anyone here knows the answer.
    I've ordered the grass and the underlay, what method should i use in laying them on the patio?
    I have the gripfill, so do i stick the underlay to the patio, and the grass to the underlay? Or cut the underlay an inch shorter, stick that to the patio, then the grass to the patio? Or leave the underlay cut short and leave floating and stick the grass to the patio? Or is there a different method altogether??

saintscouple

I've got a question if anyone here knows the answer. I've ordered the … I've got a question if anyone here knows the answer. I've ordered the grass and the underlay, what method should i use in laying them on the patio?I have the gripfill, so do i stick the underlay to the patio, and the grass to the underlay? Or cut the underlay an inch shorter, stick that to the patio, then the grass to the patio? Or leave the underlay cut short and leave floating and stick the grass to the patio? Or is there a different method altogether??

Just out of interest,which underlay did you get?

Original Poster

koppyking

Just out of interest,which underlay did you get?

I got this one ebay.co.uk/itm…511
    Basic compared to others which i have seen, but only difference i can tell is the expensive ones have slits cut in too aid drainage, which i intend to do with a stanley knife myself.
    The other consideration i took is this came to near the exact size i need

just read the description of the item thoroughly and says can be laid loose so that's what i'll do and just gripfill the grass above direct to the slabs, again with gaps so water trapped underneath has a route to escape.
    Edited by: "saintscouple" 1st Mar

saintscouple

I got this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291525651511Basic compared to … I got this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291525651511Basic compared to others which i have seen, but only difference i can tell is the expensive ones have slits cut in too aid drainage, which i intend to do with a stanley knife myself.The other consideration i took is this came to near the exact size i need :)just read the description of the item thoroughly and says can be laid loose so that's what i'll do and just gripfill the grass above direct to the slabs, again with gaps so water trapped underneath has a route to escape.

Looks perfect for what i need.Thank you.
    I have some artificial grass to lay over patio too,bought locally last year but still rolled up.Our slabs have deep grooves in them so i guess i'll brush in some grit sand first to lay the underlay on.
    Edited by: "koppyking" 1st Mar

Original Poster

koppyking

Looks perfect for what i need.Thank you.I have some artificial grass to … Looks perfect for what i need.Thank you.I have some artificial grass to lay over patio too,bought locally last year but still rolled up.Our slabs have deep grooves in them so i guess i'll brush in some grit sand first to lay the underlay on.

The gaps in between my slabs are not too bad, i have bought some sharp sand though as a couple have dropped so want to raise them. I'm also relaying some block paving at the same time and will be using jointing sand (dried kiln sand) in between them, so will probably brush across some of that as well, but dried kiln sand ain't cheap and i'm used to over thinking and over complicating things lol.

Is this easy to do to lay over what is already a grassed area (_;)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. SNES Classic launches 29th September 2017 - Check for stock and pre-order i…4671409
      2. word association Game74044564
      3. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17876391
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767413

See more discussions