Looking for broadband / router advice.

Posted 20th Mar
Hi all

I am hoping to improve our broadband experience at home. We are currently with EE and have a standard ADSL connection as there is no fibre in our area. Currently we are experiencing a very slow service, constant drops and when the Playstation is in use other devices lose connection. These issues are not new issues we have been enduring them since moving into this property two years ago.

I would buy a new router but am completely confused as which is suitable straight out of the box or if this would improve anything?

Thanks for reading this and hopefully someone may have any advice or experience they can share to help improve our broadband?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

26 Comments
First step would be to look at the router stats to see if the connection is solid from source. Your router model is not stated but the stats will be accessible from its admin login.
Anything that says it's ADSL compatible will work.

Generally that's everything except those that lack an internal modem completely, sometimes called cable routers.

But yes, it is worth seeing if you can identify the problem first. When you say other devices 'lose connection' is it just the internet they lose connection to or do they also lose connection to the router (e.g. the wi-fi drops or they can't connect to the router control panel or other devices on your network).
AndyRoyd20/03/2020 12:29

First step would be to look at the router stats to see if the connection …First step would be to look at the router stats to see if the connection is solid from source. Your router model is not stated but the stats will be accessible from its admin login.

Thank you I will try to access the admin and feedback anything irregular.
EndlessWaves20/03/2020 12:38

Anything that says it's ADSL compatible will work.Generally that's …Anything that says it's ADSL compatible will work.Generally that's everything except those that lack an internal modem completely, sometimes called cable routers.But yes, it is worth seeing if you can identify the problem first. When you say other devices 'lose connection' is it just the internet they lose connection to or do they also lose connection to the router (e.g. the wi-fi drops or they can't connect to the router control panel or other devices on your network).

Other devices show as connected by state no Internet access until the router is reset or the Playstation has been turned off?
I would look at any qos settings on router. You need to do bandwidth tests to see what you have to play with and try wired connection. Results may mean that you can complain to ISP as they will have a guarantee of a certain limit
colinged20/03/2020 13:25

I would look at any qos settings on router. You need to do bandwidth …I would look at any qos settings on router. You need to do bandwidth tests to see what you have to play with and try wired connection. Results may mean that you can complain to ISP as they will have a guarantee of a certain limit

I've just done a broadband speed test.

Download 1.46 mb/s
Upload 0.59 mb/s
Is the PS connected via wireless or with a cable - I would always use a wired connection wherever possible for any device. An alternative router might help increase the wireless bandwidth, however, with such a low connection speed the other side out the router, you may be wasting your time and money...
Edited by: "KeepSearching" 20th Mar
That's horrific...are you doing that test wired and with everything off (mobiles also...can be uploading to cloud etc)
colinged20/03/2020 13:36

That's horrific...are you doing that test wired and with everything off …That's horrific...are you doing that test wired and with everything off (mobiles also...can be uploading to cloud etc)

It was wireless, no other devices were in use but phones would be be connected to the WiFi.

Just done a wired test.
4.02 mb/s download
0.72 mb/s upload
KeepSearching20/03/2020 13:35

Is the PS connected via wireless or with a cable - I would always use a …Is the PS connected via wireless or with a cable - I would always use a wired connection wherever possible for any device. An alternative router might help increase the wireless bandwidth, however, with such a low connection speed the other side out the router, you may be wasting your time and money...

We use a wired connection for the PlayStation and the living room TV. All else is wireless
What are your line stats?

Using your web browser:

For a BrightBox: login (192.168.1.1) and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.

For a SmartHub: login (192.168.1.254) and go to Advanced Settings/ Technical Log/ Information.
Edited by: "Gormond" 20th Mar
jamesw30620/03/2020 13:41

It was wireless, no other devices were in use but phones would be be …It was wireless, no other devices were in use but phones would be be connected to the WiFi.Just done a wired test.4.02 mb/s download0.72 mb/s upload

That's a lot better than before. I would have everyone turn mobile off temporarily and run the wired test again then check with ISP what your guaranteed speed should be.
colinged20/03/2020 13:46

That's a lot better than before. I would have everyone turn mobile off …That's a lot better than before. I would have everyone turn mobile off temporarily and run the wired test again then check with ISP what your guaranteed speed should be.

Just tried after kicking every other device off

Download 8.07 mb/s
Upload 0.99 mb/s

Guess we are just overloading the router with too many devices
jamesw30620/03/2020 13:55

Just tried after kicking every other device offDownload 8.07 mb/sUpload …Just tried after kicking every other device offDownload 8.07 mb/sUpload 0.99 mb/sGuess we are just overloading the router with too many devices

That's a lot more reasonable, we have adsl as cant get fibre but we get almost double your download and same upload but our internet ground to a halt with google photo backup...I installed network traffic scanner on phone and it showed up high usage so traced to that. Worth checking services used ( I dont think it will be the router, more a limited service and high usage of apps on phones etc)
I used this for android to get a quick overview..your router may show better stats though. play.google.com/sto…tor
Gormond20/03/2020 13:45

What are your line stats?Using your web browser:For a BrightBox: login …What are your line stats?Using your web browser:For a BrightBox: login (http://192.168.1.1) and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.For a SmartHub: login (http://192.168.1.254) and go to Advanced Settings/ Technical Log/ Information.

40146814-1MQDe.jpg40146814-2qmiv.jpgSystem Uptime is 00:44:39
colinged20/03/2020 14:02

I used this for android to get a quick overview..your router may show …I used this for android to get a quick overview..your router may show better stats though. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=info.kfsoft.android.TrafficIndicator

Thank you I will try this app to monitor any heavy usage
If you can make sure it’s plugged into the master socket in the house. Even better if you can use the true master socket behind the faceplate you’ll bypass any phone extension problems.
Fit something like this, might have to source a different on depending on your existing socket.

2019 BT Openreach Telephone Master Socket NTE5c MK2 & VDSL/ADSL Faceplate MK4 amazon.co.uk/dp/…K14

It then removes any need for filters round the house and can help improve speed and reliability.
colinged20/03/2020 13:25

I would look at any qos settings on router. You need to do bandwidth …I would look at any qos settings on router. You need to do bandwidth tests to see what you have to play with and try wired connection. Results may mean that you can complain to ISP as they will have a guarantee of a certain limit

Qos is disabled?
jamesw30620/03/2020 14:09

Qos is disabled?

That's ok...it was just in case the PS had priority over bandwidth. Depending on your wants you may want to look into implementing that for essential services...that would be for after you have cleared up any rogue uploading/downloading devices and ensured no fault on line.
jamesw30620/03/2020 14:05

[Image] [Image] System Uptime is 00:44:39

Downsteam (Far End) Output Power is 0dB which looks like a fault either with your line or the router.
Gormond20/03/2020 14:18

Downsteam (Far End) Output Power is 0dB which looks like a fault either …Downsteam (Far End) Output Power is 0dB which looks like a fault either with your line or the router.

Thank you I will try to contact ee to try and see if they can advise further over this.
Oneday7720/03/2020 14:09

If you can make sure it’s plugged into the master socket in the house. E …If you can make sure it’s plugged into the master socket in the house. Even better if you can use the true master socket behind the faceplate you’ll bypass any phone extension problems. Fit something like this, might have to source a different on depending on your existing socket. 2019 BT Openreach Telephone Master Socket NTE5c MK2 & VDSL/ADSL Faceplate MK4 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07NX2KC8Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_q4mDEbAMT8K14It then removes any need for filters round the house and can help improve speed and reliability.

Thank you I will look into this option... Tad bit worried this is beyond my ability to install by myself though
jamesw30620/03/2020 14:38

Thank you I will look into this option... Tad bit worried this is beyond …Thank you I will look into this option... Tad bit worried this is beyond my ability to install by myself though

It’s 2 screws. If you have other phone sockets in the house you might have to do a bit more. Where you’d fit a phone plug onto the extension cable.
When we had issues it made a difference for us and it’s good practice anyway.
Oneday7720/03/2020 14:40

It’s 2 screws. If you have other phone sockets in the house you might have …It’s 2 screws. If you have other phone sockets in the house you might have to do a bit more. Where you’d fit a phone plug onto the extension cable. When we had issues it made a difference for us and it’s good practice anyway.

Thanks thought it might be more complicated than that
jamesw30620/03/2020 14:42

Thanks thought it might be more complicated than that

Depends on your socket but could he as simple at this video, chosen randomly on YouTube

Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants