Expired

Looking for ceiling speakers for multi room home audio

Found 18th Nov 2014
Hi, I am after 2x Ceiling speakers for 5 rooms/zones for a multi room audio system. One of the rooms is a bathroom so will need ones that are moisture and water resistance. any recommendation, where to buy and price. I'd say Mid range speakers are ideal as long as its not that 'tinny' in your local supermarket PA system.

They don't have to be specifically ceiling speakers, if you know of any good car speakers that could fit be install in a ceiling as i've not bought any amps yet so no restrictions yet. But i suppose finding white grills would be an issue then. I am going to be using Raspberry pi to power each zone. a zone will be pi+ amp + speakers, Pi's are on the home network with a NAS.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

1. Ask
  2. Speakers
10 Comments

I got some white flush mounted water resistant speakers for my bathroom from Amazon like these ones

Original Poster

ding

I got some white flush mounted water resistant speakers for my bathroom … I got some white flush mounted water resistant speakers for my bathroom from Amazon like these ones

how do you feel about the sound quality on them? and what amp are you using ?

ashstampede

how do you feel about the sound quality on them? and what amp are you … how do you feel about the sound quality on them? and what amp are you using ?

they arnt the exact ones, but similar and to be honest the sound is acceptable for the bathroom but I am only running them through a cheap Phillips mini hifi with a Bluetooth adapter on the iPod dock that's in the bedroom it doesn't sound as good as other hifi even through its own speakers, what I'm trying to say is through a better amp they might sound better but me and the kids are happy with them
Edited by: "ding" 18th Nov 2014

forgive me for being dim, but if you are using an amp in each zone, what do you need the Pi for? Could you not just get a wireless amp ?

i need a crash course in AV setups in the 21st century... no idea how it all works

Original Poster

kjcoolcat

forgive me for being dim, but if you are using an amp in each zone, what … forgive me for being dim, but if you are using an amp in each zone, what do you need the Pi for? Could you not just get a wireless amp ?i need a crash course in AV setups in the 21st century... no idea how it all works

Cost point, I've not seen a non bluetooth wireless amps at a reasonable price especially when i'm getting mid range speakers I feel going the PI route as a better alternative ( if any better, please inform) . Also things like visible speakers like many wi-fi hifi off the shelf products (samsung, yamaha and sonos) have been deemed a no-no by the OH so its a mix of new and old.

So i was going to link all the Pi's via software on a server if and when the same audio needs to be played over zones. So the PIs will be controlling each room, your phone or tablet is connected to the wireless network, you choose the output based on the room you are in via an app. music is from whatever source the app can detect. XBMC seems to be the music server of choice for the PIs not sure on what apps to put on the phones/tablets yet.

I've read that the 3.5mm on the Pi's aren't good, so I've learnt that I will need a USB DAC which i've just read up on. so i figure a zone will look like : Pi > DAC > AMP > SPEAKERS. The PI + DAC + SINGLE AMP will be less than a WIFI amp. I am hoping to use those new A+ PIs £16, a PI DAC from china £7 each, AMP based on speakers but single purpose 'desktop amp' 50-100W AMPs £15-30 (cheaper maybe?). The one non bluetooth wireless amp i found was £249. if the requirement wasnt separate audio per room i might have gone with the 2x wireless amp, one to handle 2 rooms upstairs and the other to handle 3 down. I still have tinkering to do, i already own a pi so can easily test before choosing the final solution, but want the speakers in before plastering and painting is done.

For my bathroom ceiling I used car speakers sprayed white with a low power amplifier connected to an Airplay receiver. Poor quality in the bathroom is fine as it is not the correct envionment for music. All other areas are covered by bookshelf/floor standing speakers with amplifiers. Oh and a B&W Zeppelin. I use Airplay for the whole system because I wanted to use my i devices as the music source - my NAS is just a back up.

Original Poster

pghstochaj

For my bathroom ceiling I used car speakers sprayed white with a low … For my bathroom ceiling I used car speakers sprayed white with a low power amplifier connected to an Airplay receiver. Poor quality in the bathroom is fine as it is not the correct envionment for music. All other areas are covered by bookshelf/floor standing speakers with amplifiers. Oh and a B&W Zeppelin. I use Airplay for the whole system because I wanted to use my i devices as the music source - my NAS is just a back up.

any moisture concern with 'normal' car speakers in the bathroom? how long have you been running that install? I've not gone full Airplay even though its all idevices as i've learnt the airplay protocol can be used on the PI's. so 2 B+ Pis for the cost of 1 airport express.
Edited by: "ashstampede" 18th Nov 2014

ashstampede

any moisture concern with 'normal' car speakers in the bathroom? how long … any moisture concern with 'normal' car speakers in the bathroom? how long have you been running that install? I've not gone full Airplay even though its all idevices as i've learnt the airplay protocol can be used on the PI's. so 2 B+ Pis for the cost of 1 airport express.

the white flush mounted water resistant speakers are just like car speakers but are aimed at marine use, mine have been in use for 4 years with no problems, the only thing is the upvc hollow tongue and grove soffit board I used to clad the ceiling is a slightly different white than the speakers
Edited by: "ding" 18th Nov 2014

ashstampede

any moisture concern with 'normal' car speakers in the bathroom? how long … any moisture concern with 'normal' car speakers in the bathroom? how long have you been running that install? I've not gone full Airplay even though its all idevices as i've learnt the airplay protocol can be used on the PI's. so 2 B+ Pis for the cost of 1 airport express.

I've had it for about 4 years (although until 3 months ago it was part of a Squeezebox installation). The speakers are still perfect, car speakers tend to be slightly moisture resistant in my experience. The grills were simply sprayed white and they are fine after all of this time. I'm working away otherwise I would send a picture. I just use it with a class D amplifier in the adjacent cupboard and wired it through the loft.

I haven't used an Airport Express, I have used an Airtune device which works perfectly well. However, I have only used these devices in the bathroom (quality is not important) and the kitchen (again, not so important). Elsewhere I have better systems.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants