Looking for cheap gaming laptop for child

Posted 11th Nov
What is the cheapest laptop one can reliably buy that can play popular computer games online? Such as that awful Fortnite and (I think) games on Steam and browser-based games? (They all seem to be point-and-click shooting games using a mouse and keyboard.) I realise that "gaming laptops" are rather expensive but is there a low budget option that runs well enough for a child who isn't actually going to buy the very newest games or "live stream" them round the clock? Or, maybe, someone could explain what are the keywords to look for in laptop advertisements? Any helpful pointers would be greatly appreciated! Even if it's just confirmation that what I'm hoping to find doesn't exist. TIA x
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

25 Comments
Think this site clickable stickable might be useful id also put your max budget that way if someone does recommend a laptop it won’t be in vain if they say offer a laptop for a grand.
Might be worth looking here, just for research purposes:
servermania.com/kb/…nts

You are right in thinking a laptop to get this spec will be quite pricey. Does it REALLY have to be a laptop? A desktop route would be much more beneficial from an 'expandability' point of view.

Regards, Phsy.
DanSpaghetti11/11/2019 14:39

Think this site clickable stickable might be useful id also put your max …Think this site clickable stickable might be useful id also put your max budget that way if someone does recommend a laptop it won’t be in vain if they say offer a laptop for a grand.

Thank you very much; that website seems to be very useful - I shall bookmark it and see what I can find with it. I absolutely do not want to spend a thousand pounds on what is essentially (in my eyes) a toy. It just seems very difficult to find anything under even £500. I was hoping there might be a budget option for children, as I assume the regular gaming laptops are mainly used by adults and - perhaps - adults play different games and require more expensive computers. x
Phsycronix11/11/2019 14:45

Might be worth looking here, just for research …Might be worth looking here, just for research purposes:https://www.servermania.com/kb/articles/fortnite-system-requirementsYou are right in thinking a laptop to get this spec will be quite pricey. Does it REALLY have to be a laptop? A desktop route would be much more beneficial from an 'expandability' point of view.Regards, Phsy.

Thank you. It doesn't have to be a laptop; I'm just tired of my laptop being borrowed. I cannot justify a MBP for a child. But I'd like to find something else that would be suitable as they are very patient about waiting to borrow my computer. x
haohao88811/11/2019 15:09

Thank you very much; that website seems to be very useful - I shall …Thank you very much; that website seems to be very useful - I shall bookmark it and see what I can find with it. I absolutely do not want to spend a thousand pounds on what is essentially (in my eyes) a toy. It just seems very difficult to find anything under even £500. I was hoping there might be a budget option for children, as I assume the regular gaming laptops are mainly used by adults and - perhaps - adults play different games and require more expensive computers. x

I’m trying to figure out if I want to go down the pc gaming route. But that website (there are others) are definitely worth looking at especially if you find a computer and think “that’s a bargain” you can check and make sure it does what you want to do on it.

I agree with the other post, perhaps a desktop would be a good route to go down. Also is the computer going to be used for anything else or just gaming?
DanSpaghetti11/11/2019 15:19

I’m trying to figure out if I want to go down the pc gaming route. But t …I’m trying to figure out if I want to go down the pc gaming route. But that website (there are others) are definitely worth looking at especially if you find a computer and think “that’s a bargain” you can check and make sure it does what you want to do on it. I agree with the other post, perhaps a desktop would be a good route to go down. Also is the computer going to be used for anything else or just gaming?

Mostly gaming and a little homework - I hope! But that's just a couple of websites. A lot of homework seems to be online, these days. It's unlikely they'd share it with anyone else. Also, no one else here is interested in that Fortnite game. x
haohao88811/11/2019 15:13

Thank you. It doesn't have to be a laptop; I'm just tired of my laptop …Thank you. It doesn't have to be a laptop; I'm just tired of my laptop being borrowed. I cannot justify a MBP for a child. But I'd like to find something else that would be suitable as they are very patient about waiting to borrow my computer. x

The problem is, they will always want bigger and better. Not simple to achieve with a laptop. Games get bigger and better too, which means the laptop you buy today falls behind. At least with a tower/desktop pc, you have options (depending on the build) to update as and when required. With a laptop, usually the first thing to swap out would be the mechanical drive for an SSD to improve things dramatically. With the Medion, you can install an M.2 SSD alongside the HDD. Memory can be boosted too if required.

With a tower/desktop, you can at least improve just about every aspect. The power requirements are more though and you have to include the cost of a decent monitor and accessories. Input methods/sound etc. Whereas, a laptop has all of these - ready to go.

Swings and roundabouts, as they say! Good luck on your decision, OP. How old is your child by the way? Are they likely to have friends with similar computers for a 'benchmark' guide? I know it can be hard when "My friend Johnny has got an X,Y,Z super computer. Why can't I have one of those?"
In my day, I was happy with an etch-a-sketch lol
esar11/11/2019 15:32

Simpler, happier days eh?

I got an orange, a piece of coal and a choice of one chocolate decoration off the tree. And I was ruddy lucky to get that too!

Phsycronix11/11/2019 15:26

The problem is, they will always want bigger and better. Not simple to …The problem is, they will always want bigger and better. Not simple to achieve with a laptop. Games get bigger and better too, which means the laptop you buy today falls behind. At least with a tower/desktop pc, you have options (depending on the build) to update as and when required. With a laptop, usually the first thing to swap out would be the mechanical drive for an SSD to improve things dramatically. With the Medion, you can install an M.2 SSD alongside the HDD. Memory can be boosted too if required.With a tower/desktop, you can at least improve just about every aspect. The power requirements are more though and you have to include the cost of a decent monitor and accessories. Input methods/sound etc. Whereas, a laptop has all of these - ready to go.Swings and roundabouts, as they say! Good luck on your decision, OP. How old is your child by the way? Are they likely to have friends with similar computers for a 'benchmark' guide? I know it can be hard when "My friend Johnny has got an X,Y,Z super computer. Why can't I have one of those?"

Last year of primary school. I know they will need to spend even more time on computer-based homework from next year onward. (Some of the high school homework isn't fully accessible on phone apps and you need to switch to the websites.) That's about the only justification for yet another computer in the house. Could a clever child upgrade a desktop/tower themselves (if I bought the parts)? They're certainly good at taking things apart. But, they are also very good at science and math. x
esar11/11/2019 15:32

lol I'd have been happy with a My Little Pony. x
haohao88811/11/2019 15:58

Last year of primary school. I know they will need to spend even more time …Last year of primary school. I know they will need to spend even more time on computer-based homework from next year onward. (Some of the high school homework isn't fully accessible on phone apps and you need to switch to the websites.) That's about the only justification for yet another computer in the house. Could a clever child upgrade a desktop/tower themselves (if I bought the parts)? They're certainly good at taking things apart. But, they are also very good at science and math. x

I couldn't possibly say what 'your' child's capabilities are but updating isn't as hard as you'd think. Of course, you still need to know what you're doing. Changing things like RAM (memory) is relatively easy, changing a HDD can be easy too. Other hardware components are pretty much "plug and go" as the computer usually recongnises and guides you. As with ALL computers - things can go wrong! There's always help though to assist with many issues as most of the time, someone else has 'been there' first!

With a laptop, it's probably easier as there are really only so many things you can upgrade - mainly RAM & HDD or SSD. Again, this usually involves just removing a cover and 'slotting' the new bit in. No tough learning curve there. I'm surprised at that age, your child hasn't got their own idea - perhaps just a simple laptop for internet/homework etc. and get a games console for gaming? Or do they specifically want a PC to game on?
Phsycronix11/11/2019 16:09

I couldn't possibly say what 'your' child's capabilities are but updating …I couldn't possibly say what 'your' child's capabilities are but updating isn't as hard as you'd think. Of course, you still need to know what you're doing. Changing things like RAM (memory) is relatively easy, changing a HDD can be easy too. Other hardware components are pretty much "plug and go" as the computer usually recongnises and guides you. As with ALL computers - things can go wrong! There's always help though to assist with many issues as most of the time, someone else has 'been there' first!With a laptop, it's probably easier as there are really only so many things you can upgrade - mainly RAM & HDD or SSD. Again, this usually involves just removing a cover and 'slotting' the new bit in. No tough learning curve there. I'm surprised at that age, your child hasn't got their own idea - perhaps just a simple laptop for internet/homework etc. and get a games console for gaming? Or do they specifically want a PC to game on?

They asked if I have the budget for a gaming laptop and said they'd really like one if it was possible. They rarely ask for anything big, which is why I'm willing to entertain the idea. We have a few games consoles already. And the usual phones, tablets, old computers, etc. But, this is the youngest child who often ends up with hand-me-downs. Unfortunately, despite all the tech at home (and there really is rather a lot), I don't know much about hardware. Yes, they would be content with another games console but I'd like to make the effort to find a possible computer - and I think it's nicer if I don't ask them to research their own presents. I'd guess the main reason why they asked if they could have a laptop is most of our computers are laptops. Much easier to tidy away and you aren't tied to a desk. We only have 2 desktop computers in the house. x
Oh, ok. It's nice to try and give them what they asked for. In that case, stick to the best spec you can get for the budget you will allow. I guess as it's a gift you'd wish to avoid "refurbished" laptops? They do tend to be A1 and come with some warranty though - not junk - unlike something you might pick up on Ebay or Gumtree.

Just use the links above to find the bare minimum and work up from that. I would suggest concentrating on 4/8GB memory, at least an i5 processor (8th or newer revision if possible) and an SSD if available. If not, don't worry as you could always upgrade very cheaply later. £20(ish) can get you a small SSD as an operating system drive. Then the existing drive can become a data drive in a caddy if required. A decent on-board gfx chip is a must. Therefore, as above spec - min Intel HD 4000 but preferably a decent Nvidia or Radeon. Bare in mind, on the cheaper end gfx chip the game will run in a 'minimum' state. This tends to not go down well!
Phsycronix11/11/2019 16:45

Oh, ok. It's nice to try and give them what they asked for. In that case, …Oh, ok. It's nice to try and give them what they asked for. In that case, stick to the best spec you can get for the budget you will allow. I guess as it's a gift you'd wish to avoid "refurbished" laptops? They do tend to be A1 and come with some warranty though - not junk - unlike something you might pick up on Ebay or Gumtree.Just use the links above to find the bare minimum and work up from that. I would suggest concentrating on 4/8GB memory, at least an i5 processor (8th or newer revision if possible) and an SSD if available. If not, don't worry as you could always upgrade very cheaply later. £20(ish) can get you a small SSD as an operating system drive. Then the existing drive can become a data drive in a caddy if required. A decent on-board gfx chip is a must. Therefore, as above spec - min Intel HD 4000 but preferably a decent Nvidia or Radeon. Bare in mind, on the cheaper end gfx chip the game will run in a 'minimum' state. This tends to not go down well!

Thank you! I will make a note of all those things and check whatever I find against the website in the first comment. x
Edited by: "haohao888" 11th Nov
haohao88811/11/2019 16:58

Thank you! I will make a note of all those things and check whatever I …Thank you! I will make a note of all those things and check whatever I find against the website in the first comment. x

I'll just drop this link here: hotukdeals.com/dea…297

Don't worry too much about the 'negative' comments in the thread. It 'is' a decent machine for the money. Even better if you haven't had an account with Very. It would play some of the sort of games they will play - just not ay blisteringly high quality. As said, you would be looking at nearly twice this cost - which you aren't prepared to do, and I don't blame you one bit. If they have games consoles too, this could become a very expensive 'homework' laptop very quickly - and a £200 laptop will do that!
But if you REALLY, REALLY want to spoil them:

hotukdeals.com/dea…782
Cisco06060611/11/2019 17:03

What is the spec of your existing desktop? There is a chance you can …What is the spec of your existing desktop? There is a chance you can upgrade to get it work.

Thank you but one is used for work and the other belongs to another child. I appreciate the thought though. x
I'm after one too. Budget of around £200 haven't found one yet.
spyro12311/11/2019 17:36

I'm after one too. Budget of around £200 haven't found one yet.

To be fair, people did mention in your thread that the budget is a little 'lean' really. You're chasing a unicorn at the end of the rainbow there...

Take a look at 'refurbs' on Morgan Computers. One of my links at the top of the thread will point you there. They have laptops to suit your budget and some careful exploration will uncover one that will run Minecraft etc. Take a look at the first post. The link @DanSpaghetti provided has various games with their minimum requirements. You'll find Minecraft mentioned.

Regards, Phsy.
Phsycronix11/11/2019 17:43

To be fair, people did mention in your thread that the budget is a little …To be fair, people did mention in your thread that the budget is a little 'lean' really. You're chasing a unicorn at the end of the rainbow there...Take a look at 'refurbs' on Morgan Computers. One of my links at the top of the thread will point you there. They have laptops to suit your budget and some careful exploration will uncover one that will run Minecraft etc. Take a look at the first post. The link @DanSpaghetti provided has various games with their minimum requirements. You'll find Minecraft mentioned.Regards, Phsy.

I know but this is HotUKDeals there is unicorns at the end of rainbows on here.
Thanks for info.
spyro12311/11/2019 17:53

I know but this is HotUKDeals there is unicorns at the end of rainbows on …I know but this is HotUKDeals there is unicorns at the end of rainbows on here. Thanks for info.

I've stuck something on your thread - just in case.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants