Groups

Looking for family cycle route in Wales

I came across Mawddach Trail in Wales, which looks great for cycling off road with our dog. I also like the fact that it is not hilly as it travels along a disused railway. Link in first post.

Anyone been and can comment or can recommend similar cycle routes in Wales or England? I have already been on Tarka Trail in Devon and Camel Trail in Cornwall.

20 Comments

get the komoot app

your dog can cycle? you never cease to amaze mutley.

The Mawddach trail is the best cycle route we have been on. Beautiful scenery, flat & ends in Barmouth with a bridge crossing. The Sustrans traffic free cycle routes book says it is the best in UK.

Original Poster

shadey12

your dog can cycle? you never cease to amaze mutley.

Lol. I asked for that didn't I?

Original Poster

ajaney101

The Mawddach trail is the best cycle route we have been on. Beautiful … The Mawddach trail is the best cycle route we have been on. Beautiful scenery, flat & ends in Barmouth with a bridge crossing. The Sustrans traffic free cycle routes book says it is the best in UK.

thanks, this sounds encouraging. where did you stay? we are looking to stay there 3 nights in August or early September.

mutley1

Lol. I asked for that didn't I?

​yes, indeedy.

we were based near Caernarfon in a holiday cottage. It was an hour or so from there. Porthmadog is lovely. Barmouth was really nice, just be aware when you come to the end of the track, you have to cross a busy road & walk on a skinny path next to said road to get to the actual town/beach area. Make sure doggy on lead in good time!

Original Poster

ajaney101

http://www.bestofwales.co.uk/Cycling-in-Caernarfon-Lon-Eifion

thank you. will have a look at this as well as we may pop over there to that route as well as we are in the vicinity.

The ViewRanger app is worth a look, with suggested routes etc suggested by other people, plotted on a map and uses your phones GPS. Also, the runtastic mountain bike app.

There,s cycle path from llanelli to burry port 6 miles, llanelli to cross hands (10 miles) or gowerton to swansea 6 miles, you can then go from mumbles to swansea docks (7miles from one end to the other) ,
    I do road cycling love the gower, loads of places to explore,

If you want something fairly flat, how about canal towpaths ? They are great for cycling and walking. My kid and I are gradually walking our way across the pennies. I'd love to spend a week or so just walking and holidaying but we don't have the time. Dunno what the canal situation is in Wales but plenty in Midlands etc. I love canals.

Original Poster

gareds

There,s cycle path from llanelli to burry port 6 miles, llanelli to cross … There,s cycle path from llanelli to burry port 6 miles, llanelli to cross hands (10 miles) or gowerton to swansea 6 miles, you can then go from mumbles to swansea docks (7miles from one end to the other) , I do road cycling love the gower, loads of places to explore,

I need them to be off road as the dog is off lead and runs around by himself after the bikes, or not if he gets distracted mid way! Lol.

Are these routes traffic free and away from roads?

Original Poster

psychobitchfromhell

If you want something fairly flat, how about canal towpaths ? They are … If you want something fairly flat, how about canal towpaths ? They are great for cycling and walking. My kid and I are gradually walking our way across the pennies. I'd love to spend a week or so just walking and holidaying but we don't have the time. Dunno what the canal situation is in Wales but plenty in Midlands etc. I love canals.

We went along the canal track from Reading and that was great. Some parts were not paved though and so were difficult for bikes because of all the trees. You also dont get the beautiful views of the surrounding countryside that you often do with the disued railway lines.

mutley1

We went along the canal track from Reading and that was great. Some … We went along the canal track from Reading and that was great. Some parts were not paved though and so were difficult for bikes because of all the trees. You also dont get the beautiful views of the surrounding countryside that you often do with the disued railway lines.

I adore disused railway lines but that is because my kid is a railway addict. The Julia Bradbury series on BBC was really good. When the child wakes up I will ask if he has any suggestions. If its to do with railways, he will know

A55
    Good luck

It's been a while since I've been but try

llyn-brenig.co.uk/cyc…ing

nice scenery, mostly flat and off road and a few different routes around the two Llyns. (Welsh for lake). Little cafe at the visitors centre too.

mutley1

I need them to be off road as the dog is off lead and runs around by … I need them to be off road as the dog is off lead and runs around by himself after the bikes, or not if he gets distracted mid way! Lol.Are these routes traffic free and away from roads?

Yes but other cyclists use them, if you are camping i would recommend pembrey country park (google it) , there,s a camp site inside or a caravan club site outside, ideal for dogs, its next to a large woodland with miles of paths, and its near cefn sidan beach (7 miles long)
    discovercarmarthenshire.com/pem…tml
    Ideal for you
    visitwales.com/att…e=1

Cheers Gareth

Original Poster

gareds12 m ago

Yes but other cyclists use them, if you are camping i would recommend …Yes but other cyclists use them, if you are camping i would recommend pembrey country park (google it) , there,s a camp site inside or a caravan club site outside, ideal for dogs, its next to a large woodland with miles of paths, and its near cefn sidan beach (7 miles long) http://www.discovercarmarthenshire.com/pembreycountrypark/index.htmlIdeal for you http://www.visitwales.com/attraction-search/attraction-search-results/attraction-search-details?id=1843182&latitude=1&longitude=1Cheers Gareth

thanks, other cyclists are fine as the dog can dodge bikes but not cars. lol.

we aren't going camping, just cycling. we do plan to buy a caravan one day so this is useful information for future reference.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What do you feel like whinging about today?1927341
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767213
      3. love affairs45
      4. What's you favourite 60s 70s 80s song ?983130

See more discussions