Groups

Looking for help with BT active phone line charge.

I'm looking for help with this BT active phone line charge.

I'm moving into a new rented place, a block of flats, so no Virgin cable, previous tanent moved out and cancelled the phone line two weeks ago, and now BT saying they need £130 to reactive the phone line....

I think this is ridiculous, are they that desperate for money?

Is there anyway to get around this?

And why everything you do you have to have a BT line? Broadband, sky...

20 Comments

if the flats have already got sockets., BT shouldn't ask for that sort of money., if only they have to install them then they will charge, but when you say reactivate what that mean's?? are you taking same line or number as previous ones.., or BT might be asking for deposit, they have this credit checks now, if you fail they will ask for deposit.., :whistling:

if youve been quoted £127.99 connection its because the line is no longer connected to the flat, either fully disconnected at the exchange, damaged or not previously with BT are amongst the reasons it could be... a box on the wall is a piece of plastic there may be no wireing behind that to the exchange

Only way to lower it is to take up a bundle deal, line and broadband with BT will reduce connection to £50, line BB and vision (TV) will give you free connection (subject to 18month minimum term and 10 calls made per month from the line).

Other service providers can set lines up, BT no longer has the monopoly, although alot of providers do require a bt ot similar line to use their bb services

EDIT:
    flp14344 - BT have always ran a credit check for new customers

nono2522;8978792

if youve been quoted £127.99 connection its because the line is no longer … if youve been quoted £127.99 connection its because the line is no longer connected to the flat, either fully disconnected at the exchange, damaged or not previously with BT are amongst the reasons it could be... a box on the wall is a piece of plastic there may be no wireing behind that to the exchangeOnly way to lower it is to take up a bundle deal, line and broadband with BT will reduce connection to £50, line BB and vision (TV) will give you free connection (subject to 18month minimum term and 10 calls made per month from the line).Other service providers can set lines up, BT no longer has the monopoly, although alot of providers do require a bt ot similar line to use their bb servicesEDIT: flp14344 - BT have always ran a credit check for new customers

yes., but b4 it use to be namesake but now they little tight on it,
    but as op said if previous ones just moved out, they shouldn't charge that amount for a new line unless their is No or damaged sockets or failed credit check, or might have asked for reactivate line not for new line,:whistling:

it may not have been a previous BT line.

when someone moves out and stops the line it no longer belongs to BT (or whatever provider the person had), it belongs to Openreach, its up to them what they do with it, be it stop the line or fully cease it. If they cease it, the Openreach will charge the provider to take over the line, hence a charge to the customer for activation.

And whats with the whistley faces???

Go to Talk Talk, and see what they say. BT are crooks at best. But expect it to take some time.

Also i thought BT offered you a package deal for reconnection if you signed up for 24 months.

If you plug a phone into the socket, and you have a dialing tone, but you cant dial out, BT will connect you for free.

If you plug the phone in, and there is no dialing tone, then you will have to pay the BT £128 fee for them to reconnect it back at the exchange.

BT do waive the charge when you agree to take an 18 month contract with them. Thats what I have currently, its basically paying the £125 charge up over 18 months on top of your line rental.

nono2522;8978868

it may not have been a previous BT line.when someone moves out and stops … it may not have been a previous BT line.when someone moves out and stops the line it no longer belongs to BT (or whatever provider the person had), it belongs to Openreach, its up to them what they do with it, be it stop the line or fully cease it. If they cease it, the Openreach will charge the provider to take over the line, hence a charge to the customer for activation.And whats with the whistley faces???

most of the old houses and flats have sockets which are BT property :whistling:

Ring Sky, they might wave the connection fee if you take sky TV + line rental + broadband.

They will send an Openreach engineer from BT.

That's what I did and I managed to get a good deal..

You will pay "more" monthly but at least you'll have more channels instead of wasting £130 with one-off connection charge which is equivalent to 10.83 a month..

In a 12 month contract you will spend the same but as I said will have the channels...

**If your home has had a telephone service from BT in the recent past, and the wiring and socket is undamaged and the line still has a dial tone, it's likely you won't need to pay this charge. But where there's no suitable BT line available in your property, no dial tone on the line, or if you have been disconnected for non-payment in the past, the standard connection charge will apply.

**If you need to pay connection charge, you'll see it in your basket (most people don't have to pay it).

this is from bt website

productsandservices.bt.com/con…497

Banned

If you have a socket at the flat they should only charge you £39 to activate it .Well thats what sky charge.
    Most o the time they will not cdharge you if you ask them.
    If you going with bt for internet calls and tv ring them and tell them you will join sky as they won't charge as much to activate it .Then they should wave it off .

United10;8978947

If you have a socket at the flat they should only charge you £39 to … If you have a socket at the flat they should only charge you £39 to activate it .Well thats what sky charge.Most o the time they will not cdharge you if you ask them.If you going with bt for internet calls and tv ring them and tell them you will join sky as they won't charge as much to activate it .Then they should wave it off .

good point:thumbsup:

What I dont think the majority of people understand is that all phone sockets belong to Openreach (unless they are cable) NOT bt.

Openreach rent the sockets to BT, sky, talktalk, etc etc etc, then that provider rent it to the customer ... i.e us.

If you have to pay connection normally because the provider needs to pay openreach for the line, so the cost is passed onto us.

BT can normally connect the majority of lines for free. Seems a bit unfortunate in the ops case where its been fully disconnected proberly.

United10;8978947

If you have a socket at the flat they should only charge you £39 to … If you have a socket at the flat they should only charge you £39 to activate it .Well thats what sky charge.Most o the time they will not cdharge you if you ask them.If you going with bt for internet calls and tv ring them and tell them you will join sky as they won't charge as much to activate it .Then they should wave it off .

Deals are in post 3 for what BT will offer you

nono2522;8978978

What I dont think the majority of people understand is that all phone … What I dont think the majority of people understand is that all phone sockets belong to Openreach (unless they are cable) NOT bt.Openreach rent the sockets to BT, sky, talktalk, etc etc etc, then that provider rent it to the customer ... i.e us.If you have to pay connection normally because the provider needs to pay openreach for the line, so the cost is passed onto us.BT can normally connect the majority of lines for free. Seems a bit unfortunate in the ops case where its been fully disconnected proberly.Deals are in post 3 for what BT will offer you

BT always try to make money from the customer, I'm being charged 40% higher then most other companies for a sub product (signed up due to last tennant fleacing Talk talk) They try and retain charges where they can, there a buisness there going to try this. Simple thing of the matter is other companies are out competiting them, personally I would go elsewhere.

Have a few friends who work for BT and even they think there poor.

Adam2050;8979002

BT always try to make money from the customer,.

erm this is what all companys do..... :? Otherwise what would be the point?!

At the end of the day there is aload of people wingeing on about BT being expensive blah blah blah, well why not go elsewhere? BT no longer have a monopoly on setting lines up, vast majority ir providers can set lines up now, you can choose your own provider:thumbsup:

nono2522;8979034

erm this is what all companys do..... :? Otherwise what would be the … erm this is what all companys do..... :? Otherwise what would be the point?!At the end of the day there is aload of people wingeing on about BT being expensive blah blah blah, well why not go elsewhere? BT no longer have a monopoly on setting lines up, vast majority ir providers can set lines up now, you can choose your own provider:thumbsup:

Already said that

What is with this router they give you it's wireless is so poor.

Original Poster

Thanks a lot for everybody's help... But it seems I can't get away with it...

The flat I'm moving into is a new build, so it does have BT socket on the wall. But I don't know if it has a dial tone, I need to go home at check it tonight. The part difficult to understand for me is previous tanent just moved out two weeks ago, they had a line, it's just like they shut the line every time account is closed, and want more money to start a new account.

I have not tried talk talk yet, but I tried Sky, and because it's a flat, no Virgin, so Sky saying they can not do any deals for me, it will be full price if I sign with Sky, I don't watch THAT MUCH TV, so around £30 per month it's a bit too much for me, and I got to have BT LINE to apply Sky....

If Sky is out, the only reason I want a BT line, is because I want to have O2 broadband, internet will be a lot more useful than TV for me.

And BT did not offer me any package, the guy on the sales team just told me at the end, "The charge is £127.99, do you want it or not?" ... and I said no...

you will only be offered a deal if you take up bt broadband, if your going to o2 for bb then you will have to pay the £127.99 connection

broadband with 02 will be cheaper, so you need to work out what will be best deal for you, pay more for connection to have cheap bb, or pay more for bb to have cheaper connection!

Had the same problem ring the Post Office and they will setup your phone line for free and its only month per month contract so you can change once th eline has been setup.

Did this ourselves when we moved into our new house and did the same for my father in May.

Original Poster

Thanks a lot for that, on their website they still mentioned they need to charge for active, but I will give that a try anyway.

Winter.Cloud;8980775

Thanks a lot for that, on their website they still mentioned they need to … Thanks a lot for that, on their website they still mentioned they need to charge for active, but I will give that a try anyway.

Let me know hwo you get on, hope its all good.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Find out how good your GP surgery is45
      2. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio711
      3. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…6541246
      4. What do you feel like whinging about today?1917259

See more discussions