Groups

Looking for ideas for an outdoor cat monitor

We have got a cat that prefers being outdoors but just pointblank refuses to use a cat flap. Whilst we try our best to ensure he isn't sitting too long outside waiting to be let in, it's unavoidable that he sometimes could be out there for too long. Truth is, obviously we really can't tell.

What I want is a narrow beam sensor (he just ends up perched on the porch window cill that offers protection from poor weather) that can notify us when he's there.

I'm sure it must exist.

15 Comments

fit a doorbell

Pressure pad linked to a doorbell.

srp111

fit a doorbell

Yep, mine uses a cat height doorbell at the front. And knocks (paws) on the catflap at the back.
    The lazy b*****

Your cat is taking you for a mug. I've got four of them, so feel reasonably qualified to say that!

We had two dogs who were used to a flap and two that had never used one. A few persuasive pushes and get them confident that it DOES NOT hurt them and they were soon using it. Now they all charge through it like a pack of feral beasts! You tried opening it up with food on the other side at feeding time?

For future reference there is a section dedicated to asking questions:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/all/ask/new

Each answer can be rated, you'd get much better responses posting there rather than misc.

Train your cat - make the cat flap become a toy so the cat gets used to it

eg tie a fluffy toy mouse stuffed with catnip on a long piece of string and drag it through the cat flap to make the cat chase the toy

You could use this
    either face it towards the door if possible and when anything approaches it will alert inside
    It simply just stick on or screw fixing for the detector.
    You can also put a sticker over part ot the detector to narrow the detection area.
    www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless-Outdoor-Driveway-Alarm-Alert-System-Chime-Motion-Sensor-Home-Security-/122500008614
    Edited by: "refix" 17th May

or try this
    www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IR-Infrared-Security-Beam-Intruder-Alarm-Door-Window-Entrance-Motion-Sensor/111481624627

Just leave it outside with a bowl of food inside the cat flap. When it wants to come in it will. IMO you can never leave a cat outside for to long, they are animals that's where they belong.

Get him an iPhone the he can call you to be let in!

trust me, it will use a cat flap when it wants to.
    Had to physically push mine through a few times but it finally got the message I wasn't opening the door every time

Original Poster

OK perhaps I should have given more details. He uses the cat flap to go out into the back garden but ALWAYS appears at the front of the house where its not practicable to have a cat flap (glazed porch and curved bay window). He'll stay out all night if needs be and I'm convinced he then turns to plan B, home No2 somewhere in the area. I cannot believe he gets himself into a position where he cannot return back to the cat flap but he's never been seen there waiting to be let in. This is not a new thing, and with warmer weather approaching he won't hang around on the porch window cill for too long.

We've left bedroom windows and bathroom windows open to the rear of the house which are easily accessible for a cat, so much so he'll use them to exit the house. But still no joy when coming home

Edited by: "OllieSt" 17th May

OllieSt

OK perhaps I should have given more details. He uses the cat flap to go … OK perhaps I should have given more details. He uses the cat flap to go out into the back garden but ALWAYS appears at the front of the house where its not practicable to have a cat flap (glazed porch and curved bay window). He'll stay out all night if needs be and I'm convinced he then turns to plan B, home No2 somewhere in the area. I cannot believe he gets himself into a position where he cannot return back to the cat flap but he's never been seen there waiting to be let in. This is not a new thing, and with warmer weather approaching he won't hang around on the porch window cill for too long. We've left bedroom windows and bathroom windows open to the rear of the house which are easily accessible for a cat, so much so he'll use them to exit the house. But still no joy when coming home

lol saw the comment above about the cat taking you for a mug, having read that i'm in agreement, the cat is not scared of the flap, knows how to use it and where it is, methinks he is somehow getting off the demonstration of power

Original Poster

I bought a cheap driveway pir with a remote bell and it's done the job perfectly. i just need to remember to turn the thing off during the night. The cat now has his own entry system and i'm now a slave for another within the home.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!553785
      2. love affairs1117
      3. Shana Tova to all Jewish HUKDers1519
      4. What do you feel like whinging about today?1927347

See more discussions