Groups

looking for laptop is this any good for light gaming or does anyone know if it's any good ?

10 Comments

Depends on the game but without spending a lot more you probably won't do much better. It'll be OK at lower resolutions & lower detail

Is it my link I'm looking at but it doesn't show any type of graphics card? Which would probably mean on boards only, which would unfortunately be rubbish at even light gaming,

It's an amd apu, so dedicated graphics built into the chip, guy above has no clue, it'll do for light weight gaming, don't expect amazing graphics

Original Poster

Martyn334

It's an amd apu, so dedicated graphics built into the chip, guy above has … It's an amd apu, so dedicated graphics built into the chip, guy above has no clue, it'll do for light weight gaming, don't expect amazing graphics

Good to know mate what do you make of this laptop or can you think of one with more power on a low budget 250-350?

Just my 2c.

After switching back to PC gaming 2 years ago I bought a cheap Toshiba i3 4005u, 8GB, 17" HD+ refurb laptop for about £200 with only HD4400 for a GPU and this machine plays the following games smoothly at 1600x900 at low or medium settings over LAN...

Wargame Red Dragon & European Escalation, Serious Sam 3 BFE, Sniper Elite 1 + 2 + Zombie Army, R.U.S.E, Orcs Must Die 2, Mount & Blade, All of the Men of War and CoH games, How To Survive, Guns of Icarus, Gauntlet, Dungeon Defenders, Dawn of War 1 & 2, Warframe and about 70 other games I have on my 2nd steam account.

Original Poster

dozstanford

Just my 2c.After switching back to PC gaming 2 years ago I bought a cheap … Just my 2c.After switching back to PC gaming 2 years ago I bought a cheap Toshiba i3 4005u, 8GB, 17" HD+ refurb laptop for about £200 with only HD4400 for a GPU and this machine plays the following games smoothly at 1600x900 at low or medium settings over LAN...Wargame Red Dragon & European Escalation, Serious Sam 3 BFE, Sniper Elite 1 + 2 + Zombie Army, R.U.S.E, Orcs Must Die 2, Mount & Blade, All of the Men of War and CoH games, How To Survive, Guns of Icarus, Gauntlet, Dungeon Defenders, Dawn of War 1 & 2, Warframe and about 70 other games I have on my 2nd steam account.

Thanks for that I'll mainly be playing football manager so nothing too strenous maybe some other games do you know of any with dedicated graphics or decent shared graphics cards for £300-400 ?

The machine discussed in my last post was a 2nd machine for a friend to use to play games over LAN and I wasn't overly picky about the purchase if I am honest. It was bought as a refurb from Argos on flebay for something like £199 - £219 Easter 2014 if memory serves.

The following links provide benchmarks for various laptop graphics cards, if you scroll to near the bottom you will find examples of FPS performance at various resolutions and at the very bottom of the spec sheet you will also find examples of laptops that use that card.

HD4400 specs - notebookcheck.net/Int…tml

HD 530 specs (more current integrated graphics) - notebookcheck.net/Int…tml

920m dedicated (barely any better than the HD530) - notebookcheck.net/NVI…tml

940m - notebookcheck.net/NVI…tml

950m - notebookcheck.net/NVI…tml

With a budget of under £400 you are basically looking for a machine with either up to date on board graphics or a last gen entry level dedicated (920m or AMD equiv). While the performance will be as near as makes no difference the same, having a dedicated card will be of benefit reducing CPU stress and temps but most importantly preventing the on board graphics from hogging system memory.

Martyn334

It's an amd apu, so dedicated graphics built into the chip, guy above has … It's an amd apu, so dedicated graphics built into the chip, guy above has no clue, it'll do for light weight gaming, don't expect amazing graphics

The definition of integrated graphics is those that are built into the CPU (or the motherboard in older models). 'Dedicated graphics built into the chip' is meaningless.

westy125

Is it my link I'm looking at but it doesn't show any type of graphics … Is it my link I'm looking at but it doesn't show any type of graphics card? Which would probably mean on boards only, which would unfortunately be rubbish at even light gaming,

Integrated graphics performance has been increasing rapidly over the last half decade. While they're not quite to the point where you can install any game and expect it to run, they can play a lot of games.

As it's been increasing quickly, there's much bigger differences between newer and slightly older chips than there is in more general CPU performance.

It's close to parity between the latest generation of Intel and AMD 15W chips in graphical ability. Intel's HD 620 in the i3-7100U et al. is slightly faster but AMD have the more robust drivers.

Martyn334

westy125

Is it my link I'm looking at but it doesn't show any type of graphics … Is it my link I'm looking at but it doesn't show any type of graphics card? Which would probably mean on boards only, which would unfortunately be rubbish at even light gaming,

So I guess you've actually never read up or built an apu system? It has a dedicated graphics chip within the actual cpu, that's why you can even cross fire the amd apu with another dedicated gpu? Not bad aye... they play most games... cod at like 90 fps but don't expect good results for AAA titles.

Martyn334

So I guess you've actually never read up or built an apu system? It has a … So I guess you've actually never read up or built an apu system? It has a dedicated graphics chip within the actual cpu, that's why you can even cross fire the amd apu with another dedicated gpu? Not bad aye... they play most games... cod at like 90 fps but don't expect good results for AAA titles.

Read about it? I could probably name most of the codenames for the models off the top of my head (Bristol Ridge, Carrizo, Kaveri, Trinity, Llano... Um.. I've missed out the bulldozer or piledriver based one there haven't I?)

It's very much integrated graphics. They're part of the same bit of silicon as the CPU, not a reused low end dedicated chip in the same package. They're not even separate from the CPU. They're fully integrated and use the CPU memory controller rather than dedicated memory.

There's no way you can call them dedicated and have the distinction mean anything.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Royal Mail chat says I am not allowed to send paper of any kind to Hong Kon…1831
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767127
      3. In-store receipt cashback - Shopitize, TopCashBack's 'Groceries', Quidco's …2599
      4. TechInTheBasket?69

See more discussions