Looking for low/ Mid price fishing rod

Found 22nd Feb
hello,

I need some basic guidance as I am looking for the reasonable price fishing rod (freshwater / Lakes), small-medium size fish, as I never used a rod before so few basics questions if someone will it will great, I am watching youtube videos but tons of information sometimes confused you.

1) what size rod is OK for beginners (I found out 6 - 7 ft)
2) telescopic rods worth to buy as they flimsy but take less space
3) spin rod or baitcasting rod?

4) don't know much about power and action so any recommendation will help

well there is a lot of things missing for sure as I never into that things so just ignore my poor knowledge, also if someone recommends any link of Amazon or any other low price rod it helps a lot
Community Updates
Ask
4 Comments
1) Go with 10 to 12ft, the longer the rod the easier it is to cast out and the more distance between hook and yourself the less chance you'll spook the fish.
2) Personally I avoid the telescopic rods. Harder to clean, heavier and more that can break.
3) You won't find many place sin the UK which allow/offer spinning on freshwater. Ledgering, float or feeder fishing is how 99.9% of freshwater coarse fishers in the UK fish. If your interested in trout then you need to look into fly fishing, but it's not cheap for day passes or memberships (compared to coarse). You can spin on tidal waters or casting off the coast, but sea fishing gear is a lot more heavy duty then coarse or fly.
4) Depends on how your fishing.

Personally I'd start out float fishing with a 12ft 3 piece match rod and reel, full setup including line and all your tackle shouldn't be any more then about £50.
Shakespeare Omni range is a good start the 12ft match rod and the mid range rear drag spool (6 to 8lb line), but if you ask for a starter kit in your local independent fishing shop they'll get your something half way decent.
Go to your local fishing shop and start talking to the staff. Ask for recommended waters, best times to go, any local clubs etc.

I'd start somewhere relatively quiet with silver fish (bream, roach, maybe perch and rudd) using a loaded waggler and simple bait like sweetcorn and luncheon meat.
Best to go the first few times with someone who knows what they are doing to help you with the knots, disgorging, on hand with the net, etc.
Something like this would do ok om commercials waters, and allow river fishing.

anglingdirect.co.uk/joh…rod
Original Poster
joedastudd2 h, 8 m ago

1) Go with 10 to 12ft, the longer the rod the easier it is to cast out and …1) Go with 10 to 12ft, the longer the rod the easier it is to cast out and the more distance between hook and yourself the less chance you'll spook the fish.2) Personally I avoid the telescopic rods. Harder to clean, heavier and more that can break.3) You won't find many place sin the UK which allow/offer spinning on freshwater. Ledgering, float or feeder fishing is how 99.9% of freshwater coarse fishers in the UK fish. If your interested in trout then you need to look into fly fishing, but it's not cheap for day passes or memberships (compared to coarse). You can spin on tidal waters or casting off the coast, but sea fishing gear is a lot more heavy duty then coarse or fly.4) Depends on how your fishing.Personally I'd start out float fishing with a 12ft 3 piece match rod and reel, full setup including line and all your tackle shouldn't be any more then about £50. Shakespeare Omni range is a good start the 12ft match rod and the mid range rear drag spool (6 to 8lb line), but if you ask for a starter kit in your local independent fishing shop they'll get your something half way decent.Go to your local fishing shop and start talking to the staff. Ask for recommended waters, best times to go, any local clubs etc.I'd start somewhere relatively quiet with silver fish (bream, roach, maybe perch and rudd) using a loaded waggler and simple bait like sweetcorn and luncheon meat.Best to go the first few times with someone who knows what they are doing to help you with the knots, disgorging, on hand with the net, etc.

thanks a lot it will definitely help I will go with the bigger size rod and yes the other reviews mentioned telescopic rods are not very sturdy
Have a look here maggotdrowners website for ideas and help.
GoOutdoors is a good place look at a range of kit.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants