Groups

Looking for mini pc that runs well and silent

Hi all, I'm looking for a mini PC that could run virtual machine such as Virtual Box, also some Android emulator like Bluestack and Nox for my purpose. If anyone got their experience about this, please give me an advice. My badget is around £130 without a monitor and keyboard because I'm going to use Team Viewer or VNC viewer on it. I'm planning to have it on 24/7 in my bedroom so it must be silent and runs well enough. I have a Raspberry Pi 2 but it won't do what I needed however it helps me testing a webserver for my work...

Thanks for checking this out!

11 Comments

Green hard drive designed to run 24/7 and are quiet but are much slower.

the noise on a pc mainly comes from fans spinning on the case and cpu. you can buy a fanless cpu heat sink which would make a pc as quiet as possible.

can you do everything you want to do on the pc you want to build on your phone? if so an andoid box might work. they only cost £20 and you can run them 24/7

Pi 3? Or even an android based device. You can get some quiet pc tv sticks and brix type pcs, but the benchmarks will be shocking.

£130 won't get you much brand new, some tablet level machines, so it's really a case of seeing what's available second hand.

You're probably looking at an Ivy Bridge i3 or Sandy Bridge quad core i5 for £130. Lots of Business Mini PCs out there. Optiplex USFF models, Fujitsu Q-series, Lenovo Thinkcentre Tiny and that sort of thing.

android emulation on windows is pretty bad. Have you though about an android tv box and use remote desktop client on android? I think team Viewer has a client but not tried it.

Could increase you budget a bit and get the new nvidia shield. Probably the most powerful device you will get for the money and the added benefit of google assistant.
    Edited by: "badasschris" 2nd Feb

Depends on the specs you need.
    Potentially you could use a nettop (or netbook without the screen), but they tend to be low processor spec.

Original Poster

badasschris

android emulation on windows is pretty bad. Have you though about an … android emulation on windows is pretty bad. Have you though about an android tv box and use remote desktop client on android? I think team Viewer has a client but not tried it.Could increase you budget a bit and get the new nvidia shield. Probably the most powerful device you will get for the money and the added benefit of google assistant.

Nvidia shield doesn't run Windows which I needed for, might help for Android based but I might need both. Good suggestion by the way! Cheers

Original Poster

joedastudd

Depends on the specs you need.Potentially you could use a nettop (or … Depends on the specs you need.Potentially you could use a nettop (or netbook without the screen), but they tend to be low processor spec.

Yea! Didn't know this thing called nettop! I thought they called them "mini pc" haha, these are what I am looking for! Do you know any brand that are good for my requirements? Cheers

xia0st0ryx

Yea! Didn't know this thing called nettop! I thought they called them … Yea! Didn't know this thing called nettop! I thought they called them "mini pc" haha, these are what I am looking for! Do you know any brand that are good for my requirements? Cheers

The nettop term never really took off and you won't find many, if any, manufacturers using it these days. Mini PC is the most widespread term.

How often will this PC be running at full load in the background (e.g. compiling or similar)? Noise level on recent PCs generally isn't a problem for normal use and interactive applications.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves

The nettop term never really took off and you won't find many, if any, … The nettop term never really took off and you won't find many, if any, manufacturers using it these days. Mini PC is the most widespread term. How often will this PC be running at full load in the background (e.g. compiling or similar)? Noise level on recent PCs generally isn't a problem for normal use and interactive applications.

Still looking for one, but strangely Mac mini comes to my mind, checking it out with around £300 second hand excellent condition. I can have a good specs similarly i5 2.5GHz, 4~8GB or ram, and 500GB HDD. When comparing to the market which cost around £500, most of them looks ugly or plasticky. I would definitely go for Mac mini second hand in excellent condition bootcamp for Windows 10. What do you think? Or anything you could recommend me better?

xia0st0ryx

Still looking for one, but strangely Mac mini comes to my mind, checking … Still looking for one, but strangely Mac mini comes to my mind, checking it out with around £300 second hand excellent condition. I can have a good specs similarly i5 2.5GHz, 4~8GB or ram, and 500GB HDD. When comparing to the market which cost around £500, most of them looks ugly or plasticky. I would definitely go for Mac mini second hand in excellent condition bootcamp for Windows 10. What do you think? Or anything you could recommend me better?

£300 for something comparable to a £130 machine? I'd call that vastly overpriced and avoid like the plague.

xia0st0ryx

Still looking for one, but strangely Mac mini comes to my mind, checking … Still looking for one, but strangely Mac mini comes to my mind, checking it out with around £300 second hand excellent condition. I can have a good specs similarly i5 2.5GHz, 4~8GB or ram, and 500GB HDD. When comparing to the market which cost around £500, most of them looks ugly or plasticky. I would definitely go for Mac mini second hand in excellent condition bootcamp for Windows 10. What do you think? Or anything you could recommend me better?

You're probably better off buying a laptop with a broken screen than a mac mini with an i5 price vs peformance.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Decent 4k TV on a budget34
      2. Ripped off by GearBest, VERY ANGRY!2737
      3. Legal advice33
      4. What kind of workstation desk should I buy for my office / music room ?59

See more discussions