Groups

Looking for my first TV box

Looking into 3 of them, which is the best?
    1.. amazon.co.uk/And…905
    2. amazon.co.uk/dp/…vrl
    3. amazon.co.uk/Lar…Box
    Thanks

11 Comments

Personally, id go for a s912 based box, bought one myself last week, paid £50 odd. 2g ram, 16g, s912 2ghz (although it runs at 1.5) its super smooth.

Original Poster

Kindly have a link?

HotDealAlert

Looking into 3 of them, which is the best?

Choice from exclusively those three, or are they simply examples? Suggestions would be weighted to your intended primary use. Generalisation: primarily gaming may be S912-based; or latest option for comprehensive overall media player may be S905 or S905X-based with choice of latter biased towards any expectation to run the combination of Librelec and Kodi.
    If you're looking for blunt maximum features for minimum money then consider fully-featured 2GB/16GB, dual AC wifi with beneficial external antennae, gigabit LAN, BT, seperate 3.5mm AV out (use as audio player without HDMI / TV), 4 x USB, ex-UK £38.99 delivered fulfilled Amazon qty 04 available at time of post amazon.co.uk/dp/…GO/
    Maybe maximise usefulness of any purchase by adding seperate keyboard / mousepad at say £10 for mini version, probably £12+ for mini with backlighting or £25+ for the definitive full-size Logitech K4000.

Original Poster

Sorry I have not been clear on my use of the box.
    1. Use of Kodi
    2. Able to install new app
    3. Able to connect an external HDD via USB
    4. Youtube
    5. No gaming
    The three listed are not exclusive (1st TV box - I don't really know what to look for), can any one suggest something specific, with links, that serve my purpose?
    Thank you

HotDealAlert

Sorry I have not been clear on my use of the box.1. Use of Kodi2. Able to … Sorry I have not been clear on my use of the box.1. Use of Kodi2. Able to install new app3. Able to connect an external HDD via USB4. Youtube5. No gamingThe three listed are not exclusive (1st TV box - I don't really know what to look for), can any one suggest something specific, with links, that serve my purpose?Thank you

For those moderate requirements, the £38.99 Amazon example with external antenna more than suits amazon.co.uk/dp/…GO/ and as you inferred a budget of around £50, you have £11+ remaining for a mini backlit rechargeable kybd/touchpad such as £9.68 with same Amazon order amazon.co.uk/dp/…SY/ . Note all items low stock; example kybd likely US layout but of no significance.

Original Poster

Thank you for your excellent advice, AndyRoyd. Just to clarify:
    1. would this work with external HDD?
    2. If the suggested without external antenna, would it still work? My router is only 4-5 meter away. This is purely for tidy look purpose. Or what else with internal antenna would you suggest?
    Many thanks in advance

HotDealAlert

Thank you for your excellent advice, AndyRoyd. Just to clarify:1. would … Thank you for your excellent advice, AndyRoyd. Just to clarify:1. would this work with external HDD?2. If the suggested without external antenna, would it still work? My router is only 4-5 meter away. This is purely for tidy look purpose. Or what else with internal antenna would you suggest?Many thanks in advance

Suggested box will be able to access content stored on an external drive. Consider portable drives will draw power from (any) box's PSU which may make the box unstable if the PSU is marginal; desktop drives with their own mains PSU will not impact on any box's stability. The external antennas on suggested box fold near horizontal (subject to cabling) so may not be visible. Only qty 01 in stock at time of post. If you are OK with kissing goodbye to one or more feature of dual wifi, gigabit LAN, two USB ports and possibly half the storage, consider amazon.co.uk/dp/…41/ or amazon.co.uk/dp/…LN/

Original Poster

AndyRoyd

Suggested box will be able to access content stored on an external drive. … Suggested box will be able to access content stored on an external drive. Consider portable drives will draw power from (any) box's PSU which may make the box unstable if the PSU is marginal; desktop drives with their own mains PSU will not impact on any box's stability. The external antennas on suggested box fold near horizontal (subject to cabling) so may not be visible. Only qty 01 in stock at time of post. If you are OK with kissing goodbye to one or more feature of dual wifi, gigabit LAN, two USB ports and possibly half the storage, consider https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MYNIW41/ or https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LX0VELN/

​thank you for your patience. I don't really know the difference between the two suggested. but the 2nd looks good. 2 usb ports - 1 for hdd/usb drive and 1 for keyboard. what could the other port be used for? any benefit for having 3 usb ports?

HotDealAlert

​thank you for your patience. I don't really know the difference between t … ​thank you for your patience. I don't really know the difference between the two suggested. but the 2nd looks good. 2 usb ports - 1 for hdd/usb drive and 1 for keyboard. what could the other port be used for? any benefit for having 3 usb ports?

As no external antenna seems more important to you than features / specifications, I will revise suggestions to minimise loss of features in the alternative Amazon-fulfilled options:
    £35.98 no gigabit, no dual wifi, retains bluetooth, retains 4xUSB, low stock amazon.co.uk/dp/…65/
    £35.99 no gigabit, no dual wifi, no bluetooth, only 2xUSB amazon.co.uk/dp/…N8/
    £35.99 no gigabit, no dual wifi, no bluetooth, only 2xUSB amazon.co.uk/dp/…JN/
    USB ports can be used for additional USB storage, seperate keyboard / mouse, android friendly bluetooth dongles / wifi adapters (for instances when those features are not integrated or the integrated items are poor or not suitable for a specific application), game pads, suitable cameras, printers, control interfaces, flashing ROMs...
    Or just blow £55+ on the latest Xiaomi Mi Box from foreign seller.

Original Poster

Thank you, going to order the 2nd one ( amazon.co.uk/dp/…N8/ ), just because of its better reviews. Once I know a bit more, a Mi Box will be next. Thank you again.

HotDealAlert

Looking into 3 of them, which is the best?1.. … Looking into 3 of them, which is the best?1.. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Android-Amlogic-Cortex-Loaded-lollipop/dp/B01MSNXEX6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1482890355&sr=8-4&keywords=Android+TV+Box+A95X+Amlogic+S9052. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N63M03X?ref_=ams_ad_dp_ovrl3. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Largest-Wireless-keyboard-COOLEAD%C2%AE-Streaming/dp/B01IJL3WN8/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1482890423&sr=1-1&keywords=COOLEAD%C2%AE+Q+Ultra+4K+Smart+TV+BoxThanks

Use this as an excuse to buy a new smart tv and install kodi on it, works perfect on my Sony
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Remortgaging to pay off debt89
      2. Cheapest new phone line install existing customer56
      3. Decent hoover66
      4. Hard drive 'died'(?), what can I do? (for computer wizards please!)46

See more discussions