Expired

Looking for nappies/pull ups for 4 year old that dont leak

Found 12th May 2013
My son is 4 and half but very small frame, fits size 5 nappies/pull ups. However due to his age I have been buying pull ups for bedtime. However they leak every night and I find myself having to change the bed sheets. Getting tiresome every night now. Anyone suggest anything more suitable please. I have found nappies to be more absorbent than pull ups however seems not right putting a 4 year old in nappies again.

The jim jam ones are far too big for him bought some and they just fall off him.

Thanks

1. Ask
  2. Nappy
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Nappy
22 Comments

Original Poster

We do lift him out at night to go to the toilet several times but he still manages to wee so much it all leaks out. He has no drinks after 5pm and he is in bed by 7.30pm.

hi ive never rateds the pull ups for my own kids they are to much like nappies.if your son still needs a nappy at night just use tgem least you no they keep him dry unlike pull ups .

pinkladyof66

We do lift him out at night to go to the toilet several times but he … We do lift him out at night to go to the toilet several times but he still manages to wee so much it all leaks out. He has no drinks after 5pm and he is in bed by 7.30pm.

maybe cut down the fluids your child having throughout the day if he not drinkin after 5 and stil leaking.GL

Original Poster

the health visitor said that we should keep him hydrated and allow him to drink what he wants. he has always drunk a lot he would easily drink a half litre bottle of water down in one go. He urine is always clear which shows he must drink alot. How can i refuse him fluids when he asks.

pinkladyof66

We do lift him out at night to go to the toilet several times but he … We do lift him out at night to go to the toilet several times but he still manages to wee so much it all leaks out. He has no drinks after 5pm and he is in bed by 7.30pm.

No advice on the pull ups but i was a parents thing at the school a few weeks back with a school nurse. One of the parents asked about her child who was 5 still wetting the bed at nights. The nurse said do not lift them, their brains never learn what a full bladder fills like and they won't get the trigger signals to wake them up to go to the toilet. Don't constantly remind them throughout the day to keep "trying" to go to the loo, they need to learn for themselves when they need to go.

Banned

you should stop him drinking a pint in one go otherwise he will end up with a hiatus hernia

Had many over last few years lidl ones are the best

Original Poster

spicer i have tried lidl but i cannot stand the smell the pull ups make when they have wee on them i had to get rid of last lot as made me gagg.

i am thinking i am gonna go back to nappies pampers baby dry. no one knows he will wear them at night when he was in nappies until this time last year he never leaked once. i am trying to get him into pull ups as seem more sensible for his age.

luckily as he is very slim nappies still fit him

OnPoint

No advice on the pull ups but i was a parents thing at the school a few … No advice on the pull ups but i was a parents thing at the school a few weeks back with a school nurse. One of the parents asked about her child who was 5 still wetting the bed at nights. The nurse said do not lift them, their brains never learn what a full bladder fills like and they won't get the trigger signals to wake them up to go to the toilet. Don't constantly remind them throughout the day to keep "trying" to go to the loo, they need to learn for themselves when they need to go.

totally agree never lifted my kids and been outta nappies in bed by 3 .

pinkladyof66

the health visitor said that we should keep him hydrated and allow him to … the health visitor said that we should keep him hydrated and allow him to drink what he wants. he has always drunk a lot he would easily drink a half litre bottle of water down in one go. He urine is always clear which shows he must drink alot. How can i refuse him fluids when he asks.

when he asks for fluids give him a smaller drink in day.mayb this will sort it self when he starts school as they wont allow tgem to drink all tine in day.

Original Poster

mamaoftwo

totally agree never lifted my kids and been outta nappies in bed by 3 .

my son has special needs so would never have been out of nappies by then, in fact he was only out of nappies during the day when he was 3 and half.

Both of my children wet the bed, the nurse said it can be hereditary. She said they need to drink lots during the day, make sure they're not constipated as that can cause wetting and maybe use a reward system. We never used pull ups as it makes them think its ok if they wet, just use bed mats instead. Its tiring having to change beds every night, sometimes twice but they do grow out of it. My eldest was given medication which helped too especially when they go on their first school trip!

pinkladyof66 - I know you said your son has special needs - well, my children didn't have special needs and my daughter wasn't dry at night until she was well over 6; my son was dry around his 5th birthday...don't worry about it. It definitely can be hereditary (my OH was a bed wetter as a child) and is absolutely no indication of intelligence or anything else for that matter, despite what some people think! Restricting fluids is pointless, as is lifting a child at night. When they are ready to be dry they will do so.
Like yours, my son always drank a lot of fluids - we had him tested for diabetes, infection, etc. but everything was fine, some kids just drink more than others. Restricting fluid can cause more harm than good.
Back to your question - I wouldn't bother with pullups, just use nappies and explain that some children still need them and, as soon as he is ready to wake to go to the toilet, you won't use them any more.
(My son just stopped bedwetting suddenly, from 7 nights a week to 0. With my daughter it tailed off gradually so, when she was wetting only a couple of night a week, we stopped using nappies. I used a fitted waterproof mattress cover, covered by a normal quilted one, then a fitted sheet over that. On top of that (layers, layers...!) I put a disposable bed mat, covered by a smallish flat flannelette sheet, folded so it covered the bed mat and tucked in at the sides under the mattress. If she wet, she went off to put on dry pj's and I whipped off the wet folded sheet and bed mat and replaced them in seconds. Within 5 minutes she was dry and back in bed, with just one sheet to wash. Even if it happened twice in the night it was no bother at all, just have 2 or 3 sheets available.)
Good luck, with patience and making no fuss about it I'm sure he will grow out of it

A bedwetting story...I have an adult friend who wet the bed as a child. She didn't grow out of it and was still doing it every night at 13, despite tests, reward charts, buzzer systems, etc. Her mum was always very patient and assured her she would eventually grow out of it.
One night when she wet the bed again, her usually-patient mum snapped - she yelled at her that she was fed up with all the washing and if she didn't stop wetting the bed she would get a good hiding! (That was in the days when whacking your kids was what everyone did!),
Amazingly, my friend never wet the bed again! Now, I'm NOT advocating yelling at your kids (especially the younger ones) or threatening them (god forbid!), but I thought it was very interesting. Mind over matter?

pinkladyof66 - just me again - I forgot to mention that, as well as being bed wetters, when my kids got slightly older and stopped bed wetting they were both sleepwalkers. They would get up to go to the toilet and be in a trance, sometimes talking to us, and occasionally trying to go outside. One night my son used the toilet but didn't notice the lid was actually closed as he stood there performing! They never had any recollection in the morning. They have both grown out of it now so don't worry if that is your next stage, it will pass!!

We're working with our 4 yr old now, some mornings he's dry, others not so. We make sure he goes to the loo just before bed and remind him to try and stay dry so he can be a big boy. Its working, slowly. Good luck.

Has he been tested for diabetes? That would explain the excessive thirst and urine output and could also explain his very slim stature as his body is getting rid of sugar (energy) through the urine. Hope you find a solution soon :-)

Lou Scotland

pinkladyof66 - just me again - I forgot to mention that, as well as being … pinkladyof66 - just me again - I forgot to mention that, as well as being bed wetters, when my kids got slightly older and stopped bed wetting they were both sleepwalkers. They would get up to go to the toilet and be in a trance, sometimes talking to us, and occasionally trying to go outside. One night my son used the toilet but didn't notice the lid was actually closed as he stood there performing! They never had any recollection in the morning. They have both grown out of it now so don't worry if that is your next stage, it will pass!!

Funny you should say that as both of my children sleep walk and sleep talk! Maybe its connected in some way, disturbed sleep in no good for anyone!

I've got 3 kids, and they were all trained to be dry during the dry and simultaneously at night.
I did not put a nappy on them of a night, cos their body needs to know when they have wet themselves. That way they will learn to know what it feels like and get to the toilet before it happens. For the first couple of days I used value nappies out of tesco. £1.97 a pack and they do different sizes.
They only hold so much liquid, so if they wee too much the child feels uncomfortable and wakes etc

I know you said your child has special needs, and to what extent I am unsure.
But I put a potty in my boys room and told them to go on that if they didn't think they would get to the toilet on time.
One night I forgot to put it by the door, so my son got up and pee'd all over the carpet cos he didn't know the potty weren't there.
I didn't forget to put it there again!!!

I used the pampers bed sheets incase they wet themselves, which they have done a couple of times. But mainly when they were ill or had bad tummy etc. I'd put them all the way down the bed as they move alot. I've also used the puppy training sheets, which are basically the same thing. !

My youngest never liked the potty, so he went straight to the toilet. I started with each of them waking them at about 11 pm to ask if they wanted a wee. Sometimes they did and sometimes they didn't. But even now they will get up in the night sometimes to wee.

Don't get disheartened. Girls generally get dry before boys. And they are all different.

As for the sleep talking. All mind do it. Some louder than others.
Not sure if that is linked to anything!!!

Oh just to add. My friend has only just got her son off the night nappies. And he is 5 and a half !
Again doctors weren't sure why.
she just keep trying x

This is something people rarely talk about, as if it's unknown or unusual, and it's only their child who does it.
At the age of 5, approx. 15% of kids wet the bed. At 12, 3% are regular bed wetters. In the average primary school, across the ages, 10% of kids will wet the bed regularly. It's NOT just your child!

Original Poster

Thanks woke up again this morning with wet bed and pyjamas even though we tried to limit his drink slightly so no drink after 4.30pm and still soaking wet.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants