Groups
    EXPIRED

Looking for - Netbook and wireless keyboard/mouse

Banned
    I have a budget of about £250 for a netbook.
    Can anyone recommend one which either has 2Gb of memory installed, or can take 2Gb (but would need to be priced a bit below £250, in order to allow for the cost of the additional RAM).

WIll be used exclusively for internet access, MS Office 2003 and copying stuff from a more powerful PC over a wireless network.

On an unrelated note; is there such a thing as a wireless keyboard with an integrated mouse/roller, so lazy people can sit on a sofa and browse the web on their TV? Any links would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

5 Comments

Logitech DiNovo? (not cheap though).

No netbook (or at least an XP one) will come with 2GB of RAM - Microsoft only give out the cheap ULPC XP licenses to PC's with less than 1GB of RAM - any more and they give the ULPC Vista license instead.

Original Poster Banned

Jakg;6036448

Logitech DiNovo? (not cheap though).No netbook (or at least an XP one) … Logitech DiNovo? (not cheap though).No netbook (or at least an XP one) will come with 2GB of RAM - Microsoft only give out the cheap ULPC XP licenses to PC's with less than 1GB of RAM - any more and they give the ULPC Vista license instead.

Thanks.
    But I am sure I have seen talk of netbooks with 2Gb, running XP.
    Presumably there are some out there that can be upgraded (without loss of warranty?) to 2GB?

You can currently get the Asus EEEPC 1005HA 10 inch netbook for £299 from Amazon. Thats £80 off List price. I recently bought the 1000HE(previous model) after much netbook research(was also on Amazon for £299 a few weeks ago). These Netbooks have amazing battery life, genuine 6-7hours use. They can also easily be upgraded to 2GB RAM, check Youtube. Expert reviews seem to suggest these are close to the best netbooks currently available. Stretch your budget if you can, really happy with my one. Going to get some more RAM from Crucial soon.
    amazon.co.uk/Asu…8-3

My model below
    amazon.co.uk/10-…8-1

One of the Amazom reviews
    "Released in July 2009 this effectively replaces the Asus 1000HE which was widely rated as the best netbook of it's generation. The 1005HA closely resembles the 1008HA but is it's fatter, heavier, less sexy cousin. Unlike the 1008HA, the 1005HA has a physically larger and higher capacity battery which is also removable/replaceable, it also provides easy access to the memory which can (and should) be replaced with a 2GB memory stick. The hard disk is not easily accessible so only the brave should attempt to replace it.
    There are two models of 1005HA, this one and one with a smaller battery, no netbook cover and no bluetooth. A further model the 1005GO with integral 3G modem is available in Taiwan.
    The screen is glossy and like most netbooks is 1024X600 which provides a narrow web viewing experience, with appropriate codecs 720p .mkv's are easily viewable. The battery life of 10.5 hours is amongst the highest of the current netbooks, only the (SSD equipped) MSI U115 is longer.
    The keyboard is acceptable, the trackpad is extremely good and allows multitouch zooming. Of course, it has no DVD rom drive so if this is important budget for one of these, most software including windows xp can be provided on a USB drive.
    It is said that this computer can run vista (but no official driver support), windows 7RC and Mac OS X (no wifi or ethernet driver though). Reinstalling windows XP can be a problem though.
    The next generation of netbooks will have better graphics but probably will not appear until late autumn"

Original Poster Banned

Thanks for the info.

Villa;6042361

Thanks.But I am sure I have seen talk of netbooks with 2Gb, running … Thanks.But I am sure I have seen talk of netbooks with 2Gb, running XP.Presumably there are some out there that can be upgraded (without loss of warranty?) to 2GB?

Yeah mine has 2GB of RAM and a valid warranty, but I had to upgrade it myself.

No manufacturer can sell a netbook with 2GB of RAM cheap running XP as they wont get the ULPC cheap license. Same reason why (up until recently) Intel limited their sales of the Atom to companies making netbooks with resolutions lower than 1024*600, anything more and they encouraged you to get a Celeron / Pentium / Core 2.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Fitted Sheet44
      2. Good Sim only deals??45
      3. Virgin Media when moving house44
      4. ID Mobile or T-mobile data?45

See more discussions