Groups
    EXPIRED

Looking For New Laptop For Uni..any Ideas

HELLO ALL..

I have just signed up to hotdeals and am wandering whether anyone can help me find the perfect laptop for the perfect price..

I am off to university so want something under 500pounds hopefully...

I read that Thursday is the day that deals come through especially Dell..Think the man's name is Mike whose the expert with things to do with Dell but he doesn't work there...

anyways i was considering the Advent currys deal for 399 but hear the battery life is not good so somebody can you help me find a scorching deal..

thanks all and hope to hear from you guys soon...

NEEL

17 Comments

Seeing as you are a student; if you can stretch to £600 you could get a ]Macbook from the ]apple education store. They are very nice machines and usually start from £699.00 but with educational discount they start from £601.60. That's what I'd do if I had the cash and was shopping for a laptop.

EDIT:
    Oh and I wouldn't touch Advent with a 10ft barge pole, I used to work for Dixons Stores Group (who own Advent) and they are awful machines. I'm not particularly a huge fan of Dell either but for the money you can't really go wrong, I think the Vostro range are the bargains of the moment. Keep an eye out on Thursdays for the latest Dell deals coming in on this site.

Original Poster

thanks mate...

with the apple what kind of spec would you get..

i have never used apple b4 so would prefer something im used to but sure thing thanks for advice about steering cleer of advent...other then apple what else would you recommend...at the mo im using dads ibm g40 but it is getting too old and screen gt dead pixels...mayb 600pounds could b possible but hey il wait till 2morrow to chek out the deals...btw why is it thursday is the day?

What are you studying? Do you play games at all? Do you want a laptop thats portable (good for taking to lectures etc) or is it pretty much going to stay in your room? For some subjects the Apple's are great, all depends on how reliant you are on using Windows really but they are decent spec for the money (though if you were to buy an Apple I'd wait till the new OS is realeased (in a couple of months i think).

Personally I'd steer clear of the Advent also. If you really want nothing but the best value for money Dell probably has it, but personally I find buying from a shop/fast delivering internet retailer has its advantages. With a budget of £500 you should be looking for Core 2 Duo with at least 1GB ram if you're going for a standard 15.4" model.

damcdee

thanks mate...with the apple what kind of spec would you get..i have … thanks mate...with the apple what kind of spec would you get..i have never used apple b4 so would prefer something im used to but sure thing thanks for advice about steering cleer of advent...other then apple what else would you recommend...at the mo im using dads ibm g40 but it is getting too old and screen gt dead pixels...mayb 600pounds could b possible but hey il wait till 2morrow to chek out the deals...btw why is it thursday is the day?

You'll have to ask Mike T that one, he's the Dell man.

Personally with Laptops I'd recommend Sony and Apple for style, Rock, Lenovo / IBM at the top end price wise, Toshiba, Fujitsu Siemens and Asus for a good quality / price balance or Acer and MSI on the cheaper end and of course Dell are cheap as chips, but remember you get what you pay for.

I'd definitely suggest having a play with a Mac if you get a chance, they are so easy to use. My Dad's just got one and he loves it, he was a bit unsure before he got it but now he thinks it's the best purchase he ever made, and I must admit despite being a long time PC user I'd get one myself if I was in the market for a laptop. Also have you tried Windows Vista yet? It's not everyone's cup of tea and it's very difficult to avoid on Laptops as it often comes pre-installed.

If it were my money I'd be torn between a Sony Viao and a Macbook on balance of spec, style and portability (I like pretty laptops that you can carry around easily :thumbsup: ) but the Mac would win as I much prefer OS-X to Vista.

Info on Macbooks is availible here: apple.com/uk/…ore
    The Apple Education store is here: ]http//st…tml
    ]http//ww…uk/ and ]http//ww…uk/ are usually worth a look to get an idea of prices on Windows based laptops.

go for an acer, they are well priced and quite stylish.

megalomaniac

I'd definitely suggest having a play with a Mac if you get a chance, they … I'd definitely suggest having a play with a Mac if you get a chance, they are so easy to use.

playing with macs is a rewarding pastime, macs can now rum microsoft office and if you buy one in about a month you can get the updated osx 10.5 which means you can run all you windows apps and stuff. And boot windows in a window in osx.

Original Poster

if mike da man reads this post can he get back to me about the thursday deals...thankx

ne1 else want to let me in on any new developments much appreictaed guyz

Indeed, in 12-18hours MikeT will be doing his magic in the hot deals forum on Dell deals.

If you can afford it, get a Mac. They will be doing deals for students next month (free ipod etc) and you can also get about 17% or so off and 3 year warranty if you go to their website through your uni network.

I got about £200 of mine that way earlier in the year and don't know how I used a PC for so long. That said I have Windows on it too.

If you can get a really good deal on a Dell then that could be the way to go cos a Mac is expensive for what it is... it is really good though.

[url]www.quidco.com[/url] > login > HP > ]http//h4…7AA > add to basket > + evoucher code "HPOPTF" = £260 laptop after quidco

Original Poster

Today is the Mike-Dell show i hear hehe,....you should be on commision for your recommendations...

so yeh im looking for a dell i think...my sister has the 6400 and says it is quite a nice machine for uni and games and watching dvds and downloading...Im using dads IBM G40 and im sick to death of it lol so i have some money together to get one of your fab dells i think because as people have said advent are rubbish and to be honest i want something with good build quality something the IBM has i guess..

The apple appeals to me because its stylish but the getting used to makes me look away....

so.....can't wait for da under 500 laptops...Dell i hear on phone are not so pleasant...

You could buy on line at buyit247 .com they have great laptops at low prices

I got an acer aspire 5613awlmi from laptops direct - thats a great laptop for just £499

Original Poster

hmmmm read the comments on tht one from the site and nt too sure it is tht gd a deal uno...dell prob better bt al let sum1 else say mre aboutit tht knows mre about comps than me

lots of nice dell deals out at the moment... the
    If you want something a bit more premium and can stretch to £600ish (adding 9cell battery and other small bits you might want) I suggest:
    hotukdeals.com/for…588

Original Poster

* HP Pavilion Media Center dv6277ea Entertainment - Core 2 Duo T5500 1.66 GHz - 15.4" TFT
    * Dimensions (WxDxH): 35.7 cm x 25.7 cm x 4 cm
    * Weight: 3 kg
    * Windows Vista Certification: Windows Vista Premium Ready
    * Built-in Devices: Altec Lansing Stereo Speakers, Wireless LAN Aerial
    * Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 / 1.66 GHz ( Dual-Core )
    * Cache Memory: 2 MB - L2 Cache
    * RAM: 1GB (installed) / 2GB (max)
    * Card Reader: 5 in 1
    * Hard Drive: SATA 160GB (5400 rpm)
    * Optical Storage: DVD±RW (+R DL) / DVD-RAM with LightScribe Technology
    * Display: 15.4" TFT active matrix 1280 x 800 (WXGA)
    * Graphics Controller: 128MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400 with 256MB of TurboCache Video Memory
    * Audio Output: Sound Blaster Pro Sound Card
    * Telecom: Fax / Modem (56 Kbps)
    * Networking: Network adapter - Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 1394 FireWire
    * Wireless NIC: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
    * Notebook Camera: Integrated
    * Input Device: Keyboard, Touchpad, QuickPlay
    * Battery: 6-cell Lithium Ion
    * Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium

hows this sound for under 500quidz

Original Poster

Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium
    AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-58
    2048 MB (2 x 1024 MB)
    160 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive 5400 rpm
    15.4” WXGA High Definition BrightView Widescreen