Groups

Looking for some advice from a mechanic please

Hi guys. Could any Mechanics be kind enough to offer their opinion please. I have been quoted a price of roughly £260 for new rear break pads and two new front shockers. Is this reasonable? Or a little high? That price includes labour also.

Thank you in advance.

18 Comments

Knowing details about your car would be vital. Make / Model and age

yep about right

Around where I am, you would get charged about £50 per shock and about £30 for a set of brake pads. This is labour only.

Parts depend on car and model so cant comment on that.

You can check parts cost at eurocarparts who usually have a 30% discount code.

Original Poster

japes

Knowing details about your car would be vital. Make / Model and age

It's a VW golf. 3 door. Diesel. 1.9 and is a 54 plate reg.

Original Poster

mfactor

yep about right

I thought myself it was a reasonable price. But having no mechanics close to me I thought best to check with you lot on here.

A local garage to be only charges £20 per shocker labour

Original Poster

d84rk_knight

Around where I am, you would get charged about £50 per shock and about … Around where I am, you would get charged about £50 per shock and about £30 for a set of brake pads. This is labour only.Parts depend on car and model so cant comment on that.

He told me around £70 per shocker

So leaves his cost around £190 for the breaks. I just hope once I get back there in a few weeks time the price hasn't magically changed

Original Poster

cleverguy12

A local garage to be only charges £20 per shocker labour

Seems around spot on cost then. I was recommended to go to him by a few. Seems it's been worth while. I went by myself and he could have easily just made numbers up to me knowing I couldn't know how extortionate he was being or not

Never heard of "Breaks" or "Break pads "

All the cost is the labour, you can get the parts cheap off the site above eurocarparts,
    I take it that's not main dealer vw as the cost would be triple at least

Sounds like an ok price. If you're still not sure, get multiple quotes, just call up garages and give them your reg and they will give you a quote for the work, just don't go to halfords or quickfit. unless you want a new exhaust, 4 new tyres and tracking!

good luck.

labour probably around 20-30 quid for the brakes. and shockers between 40-60 quid. so ask at a local parts stores for the parts. or check ecp. but there usually are alot of different types and prices vary between brands aswell so maybe ask the garage the price for labour and parts separately.

Seems legit to me
    Probably 2-3 hours labour @ say £50 per hour
    Plus parts plus vat
    Might be worth asking the garage for a break down of cost or at least how much labour is involved
    Also get a few quotes
    You may be better off buying the parts yourself and asking a garage to fit them as the garage will earn a ℅ on the parts as well
    As mentioned above try euros with the 30℅ off offer

Ring kwikfit for a quote just to confirm figures but never use them!

Bradleigh

Seems legit to meProbably 2-3 hours labour @ say £50 per hourPlus parts … Seems legit to meProbably 2-3 hours labour @ say £50 per hourPlus parts plus vatMight be worth asking the garage for a break down of cost or at least how much labour is involvedAlso get a few quotesYou may be better off buying the parts yourself and asking a garage to fit them as the garage will earn a ℅ on the parts as wellAs mentioned above try euros with the 30℅ off offer

Use the code FEB48 for 48% off this weekend

Cheers!

INDUSTRYHATER

Use the code FEB48 for 48% off this weekend

Edited by: "Splodger101" 3rd Feb

Rear brake pads for that are around £13 for Mintex and decent shocks Meyle or Sachs are £30 each off EBay, I would ask how much of that £260 is labour and buy the parts yourself, I can't see labour being £190.

Back when I worked in a village garage we would have charged around £100 for that lot in labour.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Iptv1228
      2. Music download79
      3. FedEx sent me a Duty & Tax Invoice - Advice needed67
      4. Ripped off by GearBest, VERY ANGRY!1416

See more discussions