Groups

Looking for some good Noise Cancelling Over Ear Headphones for under £100

My Son wants some Noise Cancelling Over Ear Headphones for Christmas, but Im a bit lost in what to buy ! can anyone point me in the right Direction, I want to spend anything upto £100.

** Edit or not Noise cancelling, happy now to get normal headphones** (Thanks Domislice)

14 Comments

Try the Goldring NS1000. Many good reviews online, and can be found quite cheaply these days

whathifi.com/rev…ing

richersounds.com/pro…exp (not sure if best price)
    Edited by: "big_lloyd" 6th Dec 2013

+1 for the NS1000 - great value for money (edit: at least, they were when they were about 50-60 quid)
    Edited by: "joshm" 6th Dec 2013

Why does he want noise cancelling? Is it a specific issue? A decently designed and well fitting closed pair of earphones will isolate sound well and prevent sound leakage, both into the ear and out from the headphones, and £100 would get a good pair.

The problem with noise cancelling is that you pay a huge premium for it and the headphones aren't usually good for the money. There is a misconception that noise cancelling is simply the ultimate headphone feature but they are designed for a specific purpose; to block out consistent ambient noise, like when you are in a motor vehicle or on a plane. They don't just make all random external noise disappear. For that noise isolation, i.e. a well fitting pair, is much more important.

Noise cancelling is great when flying...but thats about it...I have the Bose QC2's and love them and find them invaluable when flying....but cant see myself wearing them at any other times...

Saying that, I did see some complete muppet walking to work and dodging heavy traffic wear a pair once...and have even seena cyclist wearing some.....talking about taking life into your own hands

Original Poster

Domislice

Why does he want noise cancelling? Is it a specific issue? A decently … Why does he want noise cancelling? Is it a specific issue? A decently designed and well fitting closed pair of earphones will isolate sound well and prevent sound leakage, both into the ear and out from the headphones, and £100 would get a good pair.The problem with noise cancelling is that you pay a huge premium for it and the headphones aren't usually good for the money. There is a misconception that noise cancelling is simply the ultimate headphone feature but they are designed for a specific purpose; to block out consistent ambient noise, like when you are in a motor vehicle or on a plane. They don't just make all random external noise disappear. For that noise isolation, i.e. a well fitting pair, is much more important.

His a teenager and seen the words Noise cancelling and asumed there better than normal headphones, as to ''being an issue'' he might want to block out all the noise he makes (_;)

I agree with above, noise cancelling technology is not perfect.
    Good heavy over ear headphones block external noise to an extant.
    Most noise cancelling headphones are over ear type for this reason as this is how they mange to block,out most of the background sound

Your text here

Edited by: "lumsdot" 6th Dec 2013

Klipsch mode m40. £300 headphones going for £99 on amazon of late.

Original Poster

What do people think about these Denon headphones ? denon

adwozere

Well, judging on looks alone, I certainly wouldnt want to be seen in them, but - each to their own. According to reviews they seem to be better than average and be all about the bass, so it depends what kind of music your son listens to.

I'm in grave danger of generalising here, but I'm guessing your sons requirements will probably come down to how they look, how much they like the brand and whether they are comfortable. So if he likes them, an audiophile's differing opinion on here will fall on deaf ears (no pun intended).

The best thing to do would be to take him into a store where they can try a few different kinds whilst listening to their music and then you can get an idea of the styles they like - without their input your best efforts may be doomed to fail.

big_lloyd

Well, judging on looks alone, I certainly wouldnt want to be seen in … Well, judging on looks alone, I certainly wouldnt want to be seen in them, but - each to their own. According to reviews they seem to be better than average and be all about the bass, so it depends what kind of music your son listens to.I'm in grave danger of generalising here, but I'm guessing your sons requirements will probably come down to how they look, how much they like the brand and whether they are comfortable. So if he likes them, an audiophile's differing opinion on here will fall on deaf ears (no pun intended).The best thing to do would be to take him into a store where they can try a few different kinds whilst listening to their music and then you can get an idea of the styles they like - without their input your best efforts may be doomed to fail.

They look really bad, not that it should matter,with headphones, but they look like the worst looking headphones ive ever seen.

Your text here

These look ok, but importantly,should sound good also, headphones have very little tech in them, so unless your son is an audiophile these will sound good to him. Denon is renowned for,sound quality.

Ps i have not tried the denons i linked above, so i dont know why i recomended them

I have tried the skullcandy hesh 2s. And have also tried these Your text here

They are both good at blocking noise and sound good and built well, tried them in tesco when i was looking for headphones which would block external noise

adwozere

Are the headphones for home listening or do they need to be suitable for outside too? If they do, the AKG K451s are meant to be superb for the price, which is £50.

If they are purely for home listening, then Sony and Sennheiser both make decent pairs around that price point. Check out reviews online, there are normally at least a couple about for a given model.

Akg k451 are on ear headphones , so will not be as good at blocking external noise, which is what op asked for.

Original Poster

Thanks all you all have been very helpful and I’m a lot wiser on the subject of headphone now , think I will have to get him to try some and I now think they have to be noise reduction, I have spoke to him and his not to worried about looks and its more about quality of the sound.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word association Game73944524
      2. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would1837
      3. Underrated/unappreciated movies.2733
      4. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7191353

See more discussions