Looking for some guidance on selling computer components..

Found 14th Dec 2017
Hi,

I am hoping someone will be able to give me some advice.

My son has upgraded several parts on his p.c (core, graphics card, ram) All are still functional. I am unsure of where is best to sell the parts.

I read the posts on this forum regularly, and the many awful stories about eBay etc. For that reason I would not want to use eBay. Is there a dedicated tech site that is better to use?

I would prefer to elect for local cash on collection. The graphics card is not particularly old, but it does have some damage to the blades on one of the fans. It still performs well but I think it is best for a buyer to see that first hand.

Am I being too restrictive to enable a sale? I've never sold anything like this before (I tend to keep things until they completely expire!).

I would appreciate any help or suggestions.

Many thanks, Dawn
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
Far from an expert on this subject but I would think CEX or local Facebook selling sites would be the best
Try shpock, totally free, easy to list and it is all local collection and cash, you do get the odd person asking if you will post and take cash but I just politely refuse. google.co.uk/sea…F-8

32743770-I7nz2.jpg
Thanks for the suggestions.

Could I ask how much you think I should ask for the following items,

Graphics card - Msi GeForce GTX 980 gaming 4G

Core is an I73820 3.6Ghz 3.8 boost, quad core (Sunny Bridge)

Ram - Corsair vengeance pro 16gb (2x8) ddr3, 2133

Ram - Patriot (8gb) 4x2gb ddr3 2133

I've had a quick look at what they sell for new, but obviously would only get a fraction of that.

As you can probably tell, I have no clue with all this.

Thanks again.
Stick on eBay. Make sure the auction starts on a Sunday night and run for 7 days ending on a Sunday night.. Best time to sell! Don't place on carpet to take photos of items as looks bad.. Static... Let it ride.. See what you get
dodo851 m ago

Thanks for the suggestions. Could I ask how much you think I should ask …Thanks for the suggestions. Could I ask how much you think I should ask for the following items,Graphics card - Msi GeForce GTX 980 gaming 4G Core is an I73820 3.6Ghz 3.8 boost, quad core (Sunny Bridge)Ram - Corsair vengeance pro 16gb (2x8) ddr3, 2133Ram - Patriot (8gb) 4x2gb ddr3 2133I've had a quick look at what they sell for new, but obviously would only get a fraction of that. As you can probably tell, I have no clue with all this.Thanks again.

Check on CEX website uk.webuy.com and search for the components, it'll give you an idea of the trade in price you can expect.
Avforums also has a pretty active classifieds forum - I’ve sold second hand components on there before with no probs
They're pretty good parts to have upgraded from! Anyway, AVForums is by far the best place for this sort of thing.
Bad time of year now to sell. Really bad! Wait until feb. I would auction the bits starting at 99p..however if you have a low feedback score I would consider increasing that of finding someone to sell on your behalf.. Buy it now... (not auction) can be good for some items and not others. I often think that if I want the stuff gone I auction. Who cares what I get. Let the market decide what's it worth
Edited by: "wayners" 15th Dec 2017
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I am in no rush to get rid of the parts, so will probably wait until after January sales etc. I think I'll try Facebook, avforums and shpock first.

Unfortunately I have not used eBay for many years, and was only a buyer on it then, so will have no feedback.

I will consider cex as a last resort. I've looked at their website suggested. I don't know about what others think, but I would prefer for a private buyer to get a bargain and use of a good part, than a company make a massive mark up/profit.

Incidentally, we wouldn't be having to upgrade all the parts if it wasn't for us buying an Alienware in the first place. It seems that they use a strange combination of parts - the core only works with a certain type of motherboard, which few people sell and it's expensive. Luckily when this current Sabertooth failed after 2 years, Amazon offered a full refund straight away. This helped towards upgrading to i7 7700k and new motherboard.

Oh well, you live and learn.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants