Looking for some networking advice...

Found 27th Oct 2017
Hello fellow HUKManiacs,

Can anyone recommend a good forum for networking advice?

I've got an issue where I bought a HDMI extender which goes through the LAN... except the advertisement never said it's a multicast device that cripples every single port.

I've got TP Link hardware and I did sign up to their forum but the post I created has been in moderation for a while now and no idea how long it takes them to approve a post. Even if it is approved, it doesn't look a particularly active community.

Or anyone on here knowledgeable by any chance?

Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
are you sure it's meant to go through a LAN?
the ones i have come across were utilised in retails sites for advertising panels to take advantage of structured cabling already in place but that could be removed from the lan.
are you routing this through a switch? that might be one way round any problems.
Any that I've seen need to have either 1 or 2 cat5e/6 cables but these are point to point. Can't be routed through a switch or anything like that.

What's the make and model of the extender you've bought?
BeerDrinker58 m ago

Any that I've seen need to have either 1 or 2 cat5e/6 cables but these are …Any that I've seen need to have either 1 or 2 cat5e/6 cables but these are point to point. Can't be routed through a switch or anything like that.What's the make and model of the extender you've bought?

maddogb1 h, 20 m ago

are you sure it's meant to go through a LAN?the ones i have come across …are you sure it's meant to go through a LAN?the ones i have come across were utilised in retails sites for advertising panels to take advantage of structured cabling already in place but that could be removed from the lan.are you routing this through a switch? that might be one way round any problems.

amazon.co.uk/Ext…ork

A lot more expensive than straight network cable. Also here are the instructions:

32322420-t6tdK.jpg
The options I'm looking at are VLAN or prefferably IGMP if I can get that to work.
Just to add - I can't add new network cables in my house as I had the whole house wired with Cat 6 through trunking behind walls where it's next to impossible to feed another cable through and I don't fancy ripping off the plaster to get to the trunking

Here's my current layout where you can see where the HDMI extender and receiver are. I just need some help setting up VLAN or IGMP. I know my switch the sender is connected to can do VLAN and IGMP but the Archer C9 I can't find any info about setting up a VLAN so am getting lost. That's why I was after a networking forum where some guru would know better than me!

32322498-g3Hgi.jpg
reading the reviews all say the same, will swamp out network, would of thought a proper switch would isolate these from rest of network but reviews never mention if this has been tried, although one guy appeared to think a managed switch at both ends would be required
from one review it is the amount of data packets hitting the cable that seems to be causing the problem so not sure vlan will make much diff without any management and an impact on quality.

what signal are you piping over this? the diagram seems to imply the nvr.
maddogb47 m ago

reading the reviews all say the same, will swamp out network, would of …reading the reviews all say the same, will swamp out network, would of thought a proper switch would isolate these from rest of network but reviews never mention if this has been tried, although one guy appeared to think a managed switch at both ends would be requiredfrom one review it is the amount of data packets hitting the cable that seems to be causing the problem so not sure vlan will make much diff without any management and an impact on quality.what signal are you piping over this? the diagram seems to imply the nvr.

Yes it's the NVR footage...

One of the reviews saying it'll swamp the network is mine, the other guy doesn't know what he's talking about. It's definitely multicasting so it's hitting every port in every switch that is connected to it... The lights on the routers are flashing slowly and I plug this bad boy in and they all start having a fit flashing like mad. There is no pairing on this device so it just pings every port with the video feed which is why you can add multiple receivers to the same LAN...

I wanted to basically understand how to set up a VLAN with my current set up with the Archer or if I'd have to have two managed switches like the following set up:

32322879-lPs7g.jpg
Edited by: "The_IMF" 27th Oct 2017
I have to question why you are taking this approach, the details you have provided do not match up with your request for information.
The additions of a vLAN to this already overworked scenario is, imo, not the approach you should be taking but instead seeing how you can minimise the impact of a serious amount of data on the rest of the network segments.
i do not personally know the models you are working with but all seem quite high end so should be able to cope with this setup.
what configuration options are on the hdmi converters? can these not be set to use their own subnet which should in theory force any errant routing software to operate the switching functions correctly.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants