Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Looking for STOPCOCK i my flat

Posted 2nd Apr
Hi can anybody help me to find water stopcock in my flat

3432907.jpg

Only thing i can find in my flat is this two red and blue switch.
Not sure.
Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
22 Comments
That looks like the cold water feed to a washer or dishwasher
It's neither of those. It normally looks like the picture I posted. It's normally either under your kitchen sink, behind the bath panel, near a boiler, but reality I've seen them almost anywhere lol.
They could also be boxed in behind your kitchen units.
It depends on where the mains water comes from outside into your house.
Good luck.
40265078-bFcoP.jpg
Edited by: "Cloeeez" 2nd Apr
Those will stop the water travelling to the taps / washing machine or whatever else they feed.
They are stop valves to a water feed ,hot cold taps or wander .

Stop valve looks like this
40265094-9aiH5.jpg
How can you expect people on here to help find your stopcock ?
no they are not stop cocks

they are isolation valves to the appliances they are connected to but not a stop cock

Main water feed feed into your house should have what looks like a copper tap - from where you are looking where does those copper pipes go to beneath?
It could be in a communal cupboard in the stairwell area or similair near the consumer units etc. Ground floor.
Cloeeez02/04/2020 16:03

It's neither of those. It normally looks like the picture I posted. It's …It's neither of those. It normally looks like the picture I posted. It's normally either under your kitchen sink, behind the bath panel, near a boiler, but reality I've seen them almost anywhere lol.They could also be boxed in behind your kitchen units.It depends on where the mains water comes from outside into your house.Good luck.[Image]

Do you not have your water pipe earthed ?
ashmac02/04/2020 16:06

Do you not have your water pipe earthed ?

Posted the wrong one. Re-look.
The one I posted originally was recently installed for an outside tap to close off during winter so it doesn't freeze the pipe.
I figured since it looks the same as what OP should look for then it'd be ok but then remembered that people like to scrutinize on here so I'd be better off taking a picture of the correct one.
Edited by: "Cloeeez" 2nd Apr
just an insight - my friend lives in a maisonette and only discovered the whereabout of her water stop-cock when the water in the house ran dry. turns out d/stairs were renovating and stopped the water for the plumbers etc. only..before the builders left for the evening, they didn't turn the water back on. so.. as poster above suggests, it may be somewhere communal?
Cloeeez02/04/2020 16:07

Posted the wrong one. Re-look.The one I posted originally was recently …Posted the wrong one. Re-look.The one I posted originally was recently installed for an outside tap to close off during winter so it doesn't freeze the pipe.I figured since it looks the same as what OP should look for then it'd be ok but then remembered that people like to scrutinize on here so I'd be better off taking a picture of the correct one.

All I was going to say is you should have one for safety that’s all
If it's communal there will be a set of labelled stopcocks sownhere in a pasageway, in a locked cupboard. The key is often a standard utility type which the emergency services and plumbers carry.
looking for a stopcock is not always easy! they can be in some ridiculous places, but often they are under the sink, in a service riser or sometimes outside the property!

it will look like a tap but it can also look like a lever, not a plastic one, a metallic one. but mostly it will look like a tap.

if you have bought your flat within the last few years, it will be on the seller's questionaire form.
Edited by: "mutley1" 2nd Apr
As mutley1 says if you recently bought the flat it should be mentioned on the sellers questions form your solicitor would have sent you, If you don't have the details and your flat is a house conversion the stop cock could be almost anywere try looking in the meter cupboards.
1st place, under the sink

2nd place under the stairs

3rd outhouses?
Does the left pipe go into the bottom of the cupboard, it may lift up (the cupboard floor, so to speak)
Ha, I only found mine when doing a whole house renovation as the previous owner moved it and placed it under the floor! Total idiot.

Good luck with the search, worst case there is a stop cock outside to be used in an emergency but it's clearly quite impacting of others in the other flats so don't use it as unless something busts!
Edited by: "darlodge" 2nd Apr
We have an electric stopcock. Just to confuse things..
40268130-H0O7H.jpg
Stop cock
Try in bedrooms top of the walls they can be in some stupid places
Try looking in the airing cupboard (if you have one) in the bathroom, underneath the water tank.
Edited by: "stamfordblue" 3rd Apr
Expired, did you find it?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions