Looking for the best AV receiver for the money

Posted 30th Mar
So I want an AV receiver, got an OLED LG C9 but audio is crap

The main thing I want is that it is 4K, I don’t know much about them but this is a must.

Don’t really wanna be spending too much on it probably £200 max. I have found a few but I don’t really understand why there’s such a price difference.

Gotta be atleast a 5.1

Any recommendations?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

18 Comments
£200 is not gonna get you very far. Speakers alone should cost that much.
MadeDixonsCry30/03/2020 17:39

£200 is not gonna get you very far. Speakers alone should cost that much.

I’m talking receiver only no speakers. I have seen some fir £150 which are 4K I just don’t see why it’s cheaper than a £500 one
harvey.atkins30/03/2020 17:40

I’m talking receiver only no speakers. I have seen some fir £150 which are …I’m talking receiver only no speakers. I have seen some fir £150 which are 4K I just don’t see why it’s cheaper than a £500 one

Ah ok. Yeah, I would buy a £150 one if it met my requirements. Remember, not everyone would need all bells and whistles like 7.2 and bluetooth and wifi...mine cost me £129 ten years ago and still serves me well. Yamaha. Prior to that I had a Denon which developed a fault within 6 months.
MadeDixonsCry30/03/2020 17:45

Ah ok. Yeah, I would buy a £150 one if it met my requirements. Remember, …Ah ok. Yeah, I would buy a £150 one if it met my requirements. Remember, not everyone would need all bells and whistles like 7.2 and bluetooth and wifi...mine cost me £129 ten years ago and still serves me well. Yamaha. Prior to that I had a Denon which developed a fault within 6 months.

Yeah I don’t need it to be too fancy just 4K and cheap
harvey.atkins30/03/2020 17:46

Yeah I don’t need it to be too fancy just 4K and cheap

Buy from Richer Sounds. Their warranty and expertise will not let you down. I suggest you call them and have a quick discussion.
You will want Dolby Atmos surely?.......you bought an OLED.

My Wife bought me my OLED for xmas, and i am currently looking for an Atmos Av set up.
The soundbars do not seem to cut it yet.
If i had to buy a soundbar it is upwards of £700 to start, so may as well have an all speaker set up for that outlay.
Me.really30/03/2020 17:55

You will want Dolby Atmos surely?.......you bought an OLED.My Wife bought …You will want Dolby Atmos surely?.......you bought an OLED.My Wife bought me my OLED for xmas, and i am currently looking for an Atmos Av set up.The soundbars do not seem to cut it yet.If i had to buy a soundbar it is upwards of £700 to start, so may as well have an all speaker set up for that outlay.

I think that the soundbars are nowhere near as good as even a cheap 5.1. I do have an OLED yeah but I’m not really a sound guy if I’m honest. I had a cheapo Samsung 5.1 crudely set up and I thought that sounded pretty great. I think if I get atoms I really want tell much difference and the difference I do see wouldn’t be worth the £100,s of extra notes
I buy all my stuff from RicherSounds your best looking on their site for something that suited you, think I paid £500 for my receiver and £500 for the speakers 5.1.2 atmos but you will be happy with 5.1 if it's your first receiver.
I always stick with Onyko but think I'll try another brand next time as this is my third Onkyo, still got my old one in the loft.
Have you already got speakers?
You can buy full setups with the receiver and speaker kit if that would be a bigger choice for you?
Toon_army30/03/2020 18:37

I buy all my stuff from RicherSounds your best looking on their site for …I buy all my stuff from RicherSounds your best looking on their site for something that suited you, think I paid £500 for my receiver and £500 for the speakers 5.1.2 atmos but you will be happy with 5.1 if it's your first receiver.I always stick with Onyko but think I'll try another brand next time as this is my third Onkyo, still got my old one in the loft.Have you already got speakers?You can buy full setups with the receiver and speaker kit if that would be a bigger choice for you?

Same here, Richer sounds all the way. Customer service is everything to me.
Did you enjoy the sound that 5.1.2 gave you?
Edited by: "Me.really" 30th Mar
You chose a really bad time to buy an AVR. Prices have shot through the roof lately to the point there's not a single receiver worth buying near your budget. The only one that falls in it is the Yamaha HTR2071 but it's rubbish, it doesn't even do HD audio which is one if the main reasons for having one the first place. It was barely worth it's normal £150 price tag and definitely not worth it's currently inflated £200 one.
Toon_army30/03/2020 18:37

I buy all my stuff from RicherSounds your best looking on their site for …I buy all my stuff from RicherSounds your best looking on their site for something that suited you, think I paid £500 for my receiver and £500 for the speakers 5.1.2 atmos but you will be happy with 5.1 if it's your first receiver.I always stick with Onyko but think I'll try another brand next time as this is my third Onkyo, still got my old one in the loft.Have you already got speakers?You can buy full setups with the receiver and speaker kit if that would be a bigger choice for you?

Why change if Onkyo has done you proud?

Zooicidal30/03/2020 18:53

You chose a really bad time to buy an AVR. Prices have shot through the …You chose a really bad time to buy an AVR. Prices have shot through the roof lately to the point there's not a single receiver worth buying near your budget. The only one that falls in it is the Yamaha HTR2071 but it's rubbish, it doesn't even do HD audio which is one if the main reasons for having one the first place. It was barely worth it's normal £150 price tag and definitely not worth it's currently inflated £200 one.

Why have prices gone up?
Zooicidal30/03/2020 18:53

You chose a really bad time to buy an AVR. Prices have shot through the …You chose a really bad time to buy an AVR. Prices have shot through the roof lately to the point there's not a single receiver worth buying near your budget. The only one that falls in it is the Yamaha HTR2071 but it's rubbish, it doesn't even do HD audio which is one if the main reasons for having one the first place. It was barely worth it's normal £150 price tag and definitely not worth it's currently inflated £200 one.

Crazy times
MadeDixonsCry30/03/2020 21:23

Why have prices gone up?

High demand low supply. People are buying up anything that will keep them entertained while potentially being cooped up in their houses for the next god knows how many months. I'd imagine home cinema ranks quite high on a lot of people's lists along with things like PS4's.
Zooicidal30/03/2020 21:29

High demand low supply. People are buying up anything that will keep them …High demand low supply. People are buying up anything that will keep them entertained while potentially being cooped up in their houses for the next god knows how many months. I'd imagine home cinema ranks quite high on a lot of people's lists along with things like PS4's.

Oh, I assumed prices went up before this issue.

Yes, I agree with you.
MadeDixonsCry30/03/2020 21:23

Why change if Onkyo has done you proud?Why have prices gone up?

I just fancy a change, if it doesn't go to plan I'll go back to what I know. Yamaha have some nice receivers
Zooicidal30/03/2020 21:29

High demand low supply. People are buying up anything that will keep them …High demand low supply. People are buying up anything that will keep them entertained while potentially being cooped up in their houses for the next god knows how many months. I'd imagine home cinema ranks quite high on a lot of people's lists along with things like PS4's.

....AND CONDOMS?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions