Looking for the best smaller android phone

Posted 15th Aug 2020
Hi, I'm looking for a new phone but really don't want one of those big 6.5" jobs and would prefer something around 5.7" that can better fit in my pocket. I can spend about £200 tops, modest use, no gaming or watching videos. Would like reasonable battery life, access to google apps and as up to date an android os as possible (so at least 9). Any suggestions would be reallyhelpful, thanks!
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
A refurb Sony XZ2 Compact or Pixel 3 is what you're looking for. XZ2 is on Android 10 (will possibly get 11, no confirmation yet), Pixel 3 will get updates until October 2021. They're around £170 refurbished.

There's the Mi A2 Lite (it's a 5.84" Notched display, so minimal bezel at the top) this is around £180-200 depending on the RAM/Storage setup you choose, Android ONE so latest OS and apparently 2 Day battery life. However no NFC

Huawei P10 can update to Android 9 (but this kills the OIS in video recording)
It's around £155 in New condition on Amazon amazon.co.uk/dp/…c=1

The Sharp Aquos S2(C10) Global Version 5.5 inch FHD+ can be had for around £84 shipped from Spain at Banggood
The downside of this one is it's running Android 8, but unless there's some very specific feature you need from 9, 8 is still good.
The battery is a little on the small side but it seems pretty power efficient and has 18W fast charging so it can be topped up easily.

Unfortunately it's harder and harder to get decent specs in a compact body.
Thanks for both replies, really helpful and much appreciated.

re: Unfortunately it's harder and harder to get decent specs in a compact body.

yep, this is what I'm starting to find out!
Steve_MartinjWY15/08/2020 14:02

Thanks for both replies, really helpful and much appreciated.re: …Thanks for both replies, really helpful and much appreciated.re: Unfortunately it's harder and harder to get decent specs in a compact body.yep, this is what I'm starting to find out!

There's also the Nokia 6.1 currently £130 on Amazon
amazon.co.uk/dp/…c=1
Android ONE phone so Android 10
Edited by: "spruceyb" 15th Aug
I have a Unihertz Atom XL - 4" screen, Android 10, 4200mAh battery. Might be almost too small for you though?
Bear in mind phone screens have changed aspect ratio over time and diagonal measurements aren't directly comparable between screens of different shapes (the longer and thinner it is the smaller it is at the same diagonal).

So you may want to search by phone width instead.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 15th Aug
A friend just got an s10e for £200 (pre owned from eBay) that's a really good small phone if you're able to find it at that price!
Edited by: "stickyapple" 15th Aug
Thanks again for all the replies, really intrigued by that Unihertz Atom XL but struggled to find one for sale. Took EndlessWaves advice I suppose and ended up buying a Samsung A40 which has a bigger screen size than I was initially looking for but comparible in overall dimensions to the other phones recommended in Spruceyb's post. Got it on eBay unused in original packing with cables etc for £140, which if it is as advertised (20K ratings at 100% so should be okay!) is a bit of a bargain as far as I can tell. Thanks again for all the really useful suggestions.
Steve_MartinjWY16/08/2020 10:44

Thanks again for all the replies, really intrigued by that Unihertz Atom …Thanks again for all the replies, really intrigued by that Unihertz Atom XL but struggled to find one for sale. Took EndlessWaves advice I suppose and ended up buying a Samsung A40 which has a bigger screen size than I was initially looking for but comparible in overall dimensions to the other phones recommended in Spruceyb's post. Got it on eBay unused in original packing with cables etc for £140, which if it is as advertised (20K ratings at 100% so should be okay!) is a bit of a bargain as far as I can tell. Thanks again for all the really useful suggestions.

Sorry if I got your hopes up with the Unihertz! I preordered it on Kickstarter for US$180 and it is worth every penny, but they don't seem to have any more on sale. Hopefully they will make more soon.
Post a comment
@
    Text