Looking for the right travel insurance!

Found 19th Mar 2012
Last year we used the Tesco in store travel insurance, but have found quotes online to be so much cheaper.

I never thought of this aspect but my parents have just been to Egypt, my Mum was bitten and had to stay in hospital over night. They offered my dad to stay but they would usually charge then £400 a night for my Dad to stay with my mum, luckily he had a generous DR on and he let him stay for free.

I never thought of things like this, obviously if my child had to stay in over night I would never leave them no matter what costs, but just wondered if there are any insurance companies that would cover the cost of parents staying with ill child? Or is it something you either have to fork out for, or just hope you have a decent DR on duty?

can anyone recommend good company to book with too please? Loads are coming up cheap but never heard of them before.

16 Comments

Insurance will always cover the cost of staying with a child. An adult staying with an adult is not always deemed necassary, unless the outlook is not good.

Banned

Banks also offer free travel insurance with certain accounts, check you do not already have this via your own bank

Im also looking for travel insurance, off on a weeks holiday to Ibiza in May and 2 weeks in Menorca in October with husband and 3 kids aged 10, 7 and 1. Would be really grateful if anyone could share some advice on who to go with.

Original Poster

Thank you, Will take a look at the post office. Have checked bank accounts, but ours don't, I do feel husband should be able to get something as he works for the bank we bank with, but nothing has been said.

Hopefully I never have to use it, but I know I would never leave my child alone in a hospital, so worried about it not being covered.

I've found the post office policy is about £40, yet on comparethemarket policies start at £13... Is it really worth the extra? I know insurance is important

Original Poster

trikidy

I've found the post office policy is about £40, yet on comparethemarket … I've found the post office policy is about £40, yet on comparethemarket policies start at £13... Is it really worth the extra? I know insurance is important

This is where im confused, We used Tesco family last yr for around £37, but like you have been quoted aroud £15 for the family of 5 for the week, Just seems way too cheap, but prices they quote to insure you on seem good?! But then again if it was £400 a night for my dad to just stay with my mum then im sure the actual cost of a medical need out there would quickly add up to the insured amount.

I paid about £6 for a week with Winter Sports cover. It is the basic medical and third party, but that is all I needed. I would say cost is irrelevant, it is the level of cover that matters.

I took out a Nationwide flex current account recently which comes with free European travel as part of the package (some t&c's apply).

Banned

pulsex0r

I took out a Nationwide flex current account recently which comes with … I took out a Nationwide flex current account recently which comes with free European travel as part of the package (some t&c's apply).

me too! pretty comprehensive cover too (increased cover to make up for no fee exchange policy that they withdrew at the same time).

Original Poster

Thank you all, I will take a look at them all. I would rather pay a little more knowing kids are covered, than to get out there, they break a leg or something and us to be stuck with a huge medical bill that the cheap insurance company has a get out clause to pay it.

Banned

pulsex0r

I took out a Nationwide flex current account recently which comes with … I took out a Nationwide flex current account recently which comes with free European travel as part of the package (some t&c's apply).

csiman

me too! pretty comprehensive cover too (increased cover to make up for no … me too! pretty comprehensive cover too (increased cover to make up for no fee exchange policy that they withdrew at the same time).

Have either of you added children to the policy, if so at what cost please?

Original Poster

This seems too good to be true?? £10.19 for a family of 5. and this is the details!

Insurer:Virgin Travel Insurance
*Exclusive*Policy:Essentials Single Trip (EUR)
Zone:Virgin - Europe

Medical and Other Expenses

£10,000,000.00 cover

£150.00 Excess

Personal Belongings and Baggage

£1,500.00 Cover

£100.00 Excess

Cancellation and Curtailment

£3,000.00 Cover

£100.00 Excess

Obviously company is well known, but at £2 a person for a weeks insurance seems a bit too cheap?

pulsex0r

csiman

me too! pretty comprehensive cover too (increased cover to make up for … me too! pretty comprehensive cover too (increased cover to make up for no fee exchange policy that they withdrew at the same time).

You can upgrade to include your family. Although to qualify for this cover, you have to deposit £750 every month into this account.

nationwide.co.uk/cur…htm

nationwide.co.uk/cur…htm

nationwide.co.uk/ins…htm

Banned

thanks pulse i know you can, ws just wondering if you had and how much, probably cheaper to get it elsewhere, but will ring an enquire first
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions