Groups

Looking for wysiwyg web page designing software

What's best to use on for a first stab at HTML

Just want pictures, text, buttons, links, e-mail us options. nothing too complex but software needs to be very cheap or free.

Thanks

Pete

23 Comments

Microsoft do what you're after (called officelive, I think) - it's free.

In tomorrows issue of Computer Active theres a full version of Serif Webplus free, download it from [url]www.computeractive.co.uk/serif/index[/url] you download it from there then ring the freephone number provided to get the serial emailed to you.

If you're trying to learn then that's the wrong way to go about it, WYSIWYG HTML editors often create awful code. You'd be much better off working your way through w3schools.com/ or similar. If you just wont to knock up a quick easy website try a content management system (CMS) instead, don't need to do much coding that way.

megalomaniac;2877653

If you're trying to learn then that's the wrong way to go about it, … If you're trying to learn then that's the wrong way to go about it, WYSIWYG HTML editors often create awful code. You'd be much better off working your way through http://www.w3schools.com/ or similar. If you just wont to knock up a quick easy website try a content management system (CMS) instead, don't need to do much coding that way.

or FP ?

Original Poster

Disco;2877684

or FP ?

is FP free?

tgbyhn10;2877719

is FP free?

depends where ya get ya *ahem* copy from :whistling:

Disco;2877684

or FP ?

FrontPage? Dear god no! :thumbsup: That certainly doesn't produce standards compliant code. Makes rather a pigs ear of it tbh. Most in the know wouldn't touch it with a 10ft bargepole, even Microsoft gave up on it years ago.

There's always NVU or similar if you do definitely want a WYSIWYG editor, but none of them are perfect.

megalomaniac;2877781

FrontPage? Dear god no! :thumbsup: That certainly doesn't produce … FrontPage? Dear god no! :thumbsup: That certainly doesn't produce standards compliant code. Makes rather a pigs ear of it tbh. Most in the know wouldn't touch it with a 10ft bargepole, even Microsoft gave up on it years ago.There's always NVU or similar if you do definitely want a WYSIWYG editor, but none of them are perfect.

But surely FP with a pre designed template and a lil bit knowledge, you cant go wrong? Im currently using a pre designed temp, althou I know a little about code, i know that helps like.

depends how complex and flashy you wanna be -- each to their own ov course

Disco;2877826

But surely FP with a pre designed template and a lil bit knowledge, you … But surely FP with a pre designed template and a lil bit knowledge, you cant go wrong? Im currently using a pre designed temp, althou I know a little about code, i know that helps like. depends how complex and flashy you wanna be -- each to their own ov course

There are international standards which define the correct way to code websites, be it in HTML, XHTML, etc. FrontPage does not adhere to these. Also there hasn't been a new version since 2003 and there isn't going to be, because Microsoft don't make it anymore.

Therefore, what you produce in FrontPage is not guaranteed to work 100% on modern browsers, in-fact it's pretty likely to break under anything that's not Internet Explorer, because it includes a lot of IE specific code for even simple things.

The best case scenario is that using FrontPage will teach you bad habits, and out of date ones at that, but you could end up with a site that only people using IE can view.

If you want a good template to work from try oswd.org/ all their templates are standards complaint and free to use.

megalomaniac;2877915

There are international standards which define the correct way to code … There are international standards which define the correct way to code websites, be it in HTML, XHTML, etc. FrontPage does not adhere to these. Also there hasn't been a new version since 2003 and there isn't going to be, because Microsoft don't make it anymore.Therefore, what you produce in FrontPage is not guaranteed to work 100% on modern browsers, in-fact it's pretty likely to break under anything that's not Internet Explorer, because it includes a lot of IE specific code for even simple things.The best case scenario is that using FrontPage will teach you bad habits, and out of date ones at that, but you could end up with a site that only people using IE can view.If you want a good template to work from try http://www.oswd.org/ all their templates are standards complaint and free to use.

i seen that site the the other day, few canny good templates on there.. took to from there, and changed to suit. (credited the designer of course!)... so are you saying if you dont know how to "code" your future as a web designer is ****** already?

I do have access to DW like, but dont really use that

Disco;2878020

i seen that site the the other day, few canny good templates on there.. … i seen that site the the other day, few canny good templates on there.. took to from there, and changed to suit. (credited the designer of course!)... so are you saying if you dont know how to "code" your future as a web designer is ****** already?I do have access to DW like, but dont really use that

NVU's ok, Dreamweaver's ok, there are a few others too. But even with those you'll need to know what's happening under the hood to get the most out of them. To do it as a career then you'll really need to know your code, particularly as most commercial websites use lots of server side code or dynamic Ajax type stuff, there's very little flat HTML around these days.

The main trouble with WYSIWYG is that they tend to absolutely position things and use inline styles, whereas these days everything is preferred to be more fluid and styled with CSS.

w3schools is a good resource to learn from, there are plenty of books and forums around too. If you want to check your site for standards compliance then use: validator.w3.org/.

EDIT: NVU's now kompozer.net/

so, tell me, i downloaded a template from OSWD and it came with a CSS file.

Now, i know what CSS stands for, but would the designer actually write the CSS file, or does that happen while your creating the template itself.:?

Disco;2878192

so, tell me, i downloaded a template from OSWD and it came with a CSS … so, tell me, i downloaded a template from OSWD and it came with a CSS file. Now, i know what CSS stands for, but would the designer actually write the CSS file, or does that happen while your creating the template itself.:?

CSS is just a way of separating style from content, making it easier to change the look and feel of a page, group of pages or whole site by allowing you to just change the CSS. I don't know what Dreamweaver does these days, but I'd always write it myself.

using html you use tags such as

• using the css, you can change the properties of the tags e.g. text colour, border colour, margins, text alignment, backgrounds, hover colours (when ya put your mouse cursor on the text, it shows a different colour)

using css makes the page look better & is easy to update your pages quickly.

css is normally stored in the tags or as an external file (which i use) as (which was said above) can be used on many pages without the need to copy & paste the code onto 100 different pages

Banned

Disco;2878192

so, tell me, i downloaded a template from OSWD and it came with a CSS … so, tell me, i downloaded a template from OSWD and it came with a CSS file. Now, i know what CSS stands for, but would the designer actually write the CSS file, or does that happen while your creating the template itself.:?

The CSS is the website design.... so yes is the answer.

megalomaniac;2877915

There are international standards which define the correct way to code … There are international standards which define the correct way to code websites, be it in HTML, XHTML, etc. FrontPage does not adhere to these. Also there hasn't been a new version since 2003 and there isn't going to be, because Microsoft don't make it anymore.

That is because they have replaced it with the Microsoft Expression suite of products.

Microsoft Expression Web is the follow on product from Front Page.

Microsoft say that Expression IS standards based, and in fact they make a big thing of it on their web site.

See more here

microsoft.com/exp…on/

guilbert53;2878705

That is because they have replaced it with the Microsoft Expression suite … That is because they have replaced it with the Microsoft Expression suite of products. Microsoft Expression Web is the follow on product from Front Page.Microsoft say that Expression IS standards based, and in fact they make a big thing of it on their web site. See more herehttp://www.microsoft.com/expression/

You're not wrong, but hardly "very cheap or free" now is it :thumbsup: I wouldn't call it a direct replacement either, it's aimed much more at the higher end users than FP ever was.

Disco;2878192

When the Web first started all the information for a web site was held in one type of file, a HTML file.

This HTML file contained both the CONTENT (the words you see on the page) and the STYLE (the colours, fonts and so on).

This made the HTML file rather large and unwieldy and it was hard to change the STYLE of a web site as you had to change all the HTML.

So they came out with the idea of Cascading Style Sheets (CSS),

So now all the STYLE of a web site is held in the CSS file, and the HTML file contains only the CONTENT (paragraphs, headings, words etc).

The great things about this is that you can change the complete look of a whole site (colours, fonts etc) simply by pointing at a different CSS file (you have to change NONE of the HTML)

Here is a web site that shows it wonderfully, called Zen Garden.

csszengarden.com/

Down the right hand side is a list of designs (Under the Sea etc) (or you can select "View all designs")

If you select a new design NONE of the words on the page change, the ONLY thing that changes is the CSS file used. (You can read some of the words if you dont believe me)

As you select through the different designs realise this is ALL done simply by changing the CSS file used.

This gives you an idea of the power of CSS

guilbert53;2878795

Here is a web site that shows it wonderfully, called Zen … Here is a web site that shows it wonderfully, called Zen Garden.http://www.csszengarden.com/

Great site :thumbsup: I often use it for inspiration, really shows what you can do with CSS if you put your mind to it.

guilbert53;2878795

Here is a web site that shows it wonderfully, called Zen … Here is a web site that shows it wonderfully, called Zen Garden.http://www.csszengarden.com/

I love that site, im working on a page to go on there, its a fun site to show how css can be used to make a page more interesting than a standard white page

megalomaniac;2878824

Great site :thumbsup: I often use it for inspiration, really shows what … Great site :thumbsup: I often use it for inspiration, really shows what you can do with CSS if you put your mind to it.

so can I change the colour scheme on ]HERE from blue to pinky/red by just changing the CSS file, and if so how? CIA!

For a start,
    w3schools.com/Css…asp
    w3schools.com/Css…asp
    most things have some sort of colour value that you can change, borders, backgrounds, text etc.

Not got time to look in too much detail, but depending how they've been done you may need to edit the images too.

Disco;2878975

so can I change the colour scheme on ]HERE from blue to pinky/red by … so can I change the colour scheme on ]HERE from blue to pinky/red by just changing the CSS file, and if so how? CIA!

Looking at your HTML you seem to be using a CSS file called default.css

If I look in default.css (which I have done) there is some text

body {
    background: #CCD8E0 url(img/bg.jpg) repeat-x left bottom;
    color: #444;
    font: normal 62.5% Tahoma,sans-serif;
    }

This code is setting the colour of the body of your web site, and the background colour is CCD8E0 (in hexadecimal)

The statement color: #444 is setting the color of your text

You can try changing things in there, but bear in mind the "blue" colour may be on other statements as well so you may finish up with a stange mix of blue and red.

What I would do is copy file default.css to a new file called pinky.css and then change the HTML at the top to point to pinky.css instead of default.css (do not touch default.css so you can go back to it).

Now play around with pinky.css and see what happens when you change various staements.

Leave the HTML open in the browser, and as you change the CSS file, and save the changes, then refresh the page in the browser and see what effect it has.

This "trial and error" method will help you understand how the CSS works.

You can go to the w3schools web site to see the syntax of each statement.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Royal Mail chat says I am not allowed to send paper of any kind to Hong Kon…1954
      2. Virgin Media Price Hike retention Deals1318
      3. Old one pound coins are they worth more then their face value24
      4. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 187 ***1128

See more discussions