Looking to build a gaming pc would appreciate any pointers

Found 4th Apr
uk.pcpartpicker.com/lis…P3b

This is the parts list I have so far, was looking at hopefully getting the price down somehow with similar specs. I know I can get cheaper RAM for one but can you guys give me a hand on any other changes that can be made please
Community Updates
Ask
3 Comments
Assuming you prefer Intel to AMD's Ryzen I'd change the CPU to a current gen version (and obviously therefore the motherboard). The 8400 is a great option and you get a cooler with the CPU if it's not OEM, so no need for an additional CPU cooler. Same thing goes for the wired network adapter...you don't need it because your motherboard will do the job. I'd also go fully modular on your PSU, and get a better GPU, and since you're not so dependent on memory speed you don't need 300MHz RAM . I pretty much left everything else alone and you obviously need to add Windows.
uk.pcpartpicker.com/lis…Ftg
Edited by: "ostinato" 4th Apr
ostinato5 h, 17 m ago

Assuming you prefer Intel to AMD's Ryzen I'd change the CPU to a current …Assuming you prefer Intel to AMD's Ryzen I'd change the CPU to a current gen version (and obviously therefore the motherboard). The 8400 is a great option and you get a cooler with the CPU if it's not OEM, so no need for an additional CPU cooler. Same thing goes for the wired network adapter...you don't need it because your motherboard will do the job. I'd also go fully modular on your PSU, and get a better GPU, and since you're not so dependent on memory speed you don't need 300MHz RAM . I pretty much left everything else alone and you obviously need to add Windows.https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/9fYFtg

Thank you for your help
1) As Ostinato says, change the CPU for an 8th-gen part. It'll add about £80 to your build cost, which is about 7% more outlay for nearly 50% more processing power, which is well worth it.

2) SSD - You could upgrade that to an NVME drive for only an extra £30, and bag yourself a free copy of Far Cry 5 at the same time. I appreciate this goes further in the opposite direction of your "getting the price down" intent, but, imo, it's well worth paying a few £ extra where there are substantial gains to be had.

3) HDD - If you need a mechanical harddrive at all, a 2TB one is usually a pretty poor purchase. They're among the most expensive drives on a £:GB basis. I'd either drop this part, or spend a little more on a more capacious part.

4) 1060 - I'd definitely change this for a 6GB model. If you're in no rush to upgrade, you may prefer to hold off altogether, and wait for the next gen of nVidia parts, which should be arriving this summer.

5) Case - Any reason you want this particular model? Personally, I'd go with something smaller or cheaper, or preferably, both. It's just a box for housing your parts; it needn't be anything special.

6) NIC - Do you need this? It's unlikely to be any better than the NIC built into your mobo.

7) Wifi NIC - Do you need this, too? WiFi has improved since its early days, but it's still a sub-standard tech in comparison to wired ethernet.

8 ) Monitor - I'd find something else. Its res, size, refresh rate, and panel tech are all as low as you can go, and you'll be able to get something substantially better for not too much extra outlay, or something equally bad for far far less. The LG 24GM79G is only £20 more, and offers a 24" panel and 144Hz refresh rates, which make gaming a whole lot smoother than the old 60Hz standard.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants