Looking To Buy A 125cc Motorbike - Depreciation, Rental, Purchasing...

Found 28th Jun 2016
Hello All,

Looking to pick up a 125cc bike to get a couple of years ‘riding’ under my belt before I take the next level course to unlock the big boys.

However, a lot of people seem to say this is a bad idea… But it just seems logical to me. I may hate it after 6 months, so spending £900 on the second level (after the CBT), sounds silly – plus the increase of buying a 250-300 bike.

So ive seen you can get the standard “Honda 125” for around £1,200-£1,500. But most people say the depreciation is too great!? Surely if I buy a £1,200 bike – its still got to be worth £800 after 2 years?

Ive seen a few 2010 plate bikes that seem to hold value if well maintained.

Ive also heard you can lease brand new bikes – but that also sounds expensive because you have to (something like) settle the current price minus the new price minus fees. Seems steep.

Some firms charge upwards of £100 a month to rent one.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Community Updates
AskBikeMotorcycle
19 Comments
As long as your not buying from a dealer or paying over the top and look after it you'll sell it back for as much as you paid.
The trouble is right now is peak season for motorcycles so everyone wants one, especially the learner legal bikes so prices are up and good deals are getting snapped up.

You have factored in the cost of everything else right?
Even with a £1k bike your talking around £2k after insurance, gear, security and other bits and pieces.
joedastudd

As long as your not buying from a dealer or paying over the top and look … As long as your not buying from a dealer or paying over the top and look after it you'll sell it back for as much as you paid.

Thats what I thought - as they all seem to sell around the same bracket of prices - so good pictures, good condition and ill sell at a minor loss.

joedastudd

Even with a £1k bike your talking around £2k after insurance, gear, s … Even with a £1k bike your talking around £2k after insurance, gear, security and other bits and pieces.

From what im told - it should be tuppence for the 'extras'.

Im 30 - have had a driving licence since I was 18 - and have 10 years no claim. Albeit, I dont know if 'Motorcycle' insurance is based on Motorbike years... But I cant see it being more than £400 a year (as my car is only £200).

The gear, I priced up at about £200 for a £120 helmet and £80 for trousers and a jacket.

MOT/TAX for a bike im told is a laughing matter right? Like £8 a month or something.

Security - are you talking a naff off big bike lock sort of thing? Ive seen some pretty meaty looking chains for about £50.

I reckon ill get the bike for £800-£1200, so hopefully looking just shy of £1,600.

PS Thank you for replying. Super helpful!
£80 on jacket and trousers? You might as well wear shorts and flipflops. If you come off anything that budget will give you next to no protection. You want to be looking north of £350/400

Totally agree you should never skimp on protective gear

WonkyDoctor

£80 on jacket and trousers? You might as well wear shorts and flipflops. … £80 on jacket and trousers? You might as well wear shorts and flipflops. If you come off anything that budget will give you next to no protection. You want to be looking north of £350/400

WonkyDoctor

£80 on jacket and trousers? You might as well wear shorts and flipflops. … £80 on jacket and trousers? You might as well wear shorts and flipflops. If you come off anything that budget will give you next to no protection. You want to be looking north of £350/400

Not sure if they mean new. I picked up a really nice RST jacket for like £40, which would have cost near £150 new. There are some good deals to be had if you don't mine secondhand.

Obviously I'd only recommend buying a new helmet though! AGV do some nice lids around the £120 mark.

Don't forget some riding boots, I cringe when I see people with those canvas shoes, they offer no protection.
Edited by: "joshp" 28th Jun 2016
Ah okay, another lad said he ordered some for £80 on some sort of buy the jacket get the trousers free sort of thing.

Do I need to go as north as £350 for a 125cc? I dont think it'll ever go above 50 - as I wont be going anywhere on it - just pootling around.

PS Just done the insurance quote and got;
Swinton
£155.40
Instalments
Deposit: £15.02
Monthly: 11 x £15.02
Total: £180.24
Voluntary : £100
Compulsory : £350

Will probably juice it up and bit and try and lower the compulsory - as thats nuts - thats half the bike in excess - pfft!

May even take the £15/month option and just see how it goes.
I had to guess;

Electronic alarm/immobiliser
Mechanical security

So the Immobiliser I chose the default Honda one (as I was quoting on a Honda 125CF)

Mechanical Security - I just picked a chain and lock. But im sure the quote would come down if I got something smart.
Silhouette

Ah okay, another lad said he ordered some for £80 on some sort of buy the … Ah okay, another lad said he ordered some for £80 on some sort of buy the jacket get the trousers free sort of thing.Do I need to go as north as £350 for a 125cc? I dont think it'll ever go above 50 - as I wont be going anywhere on it - just pootling around.PS Just done the insurance quote and got;Swinton£155.40InstalmentsDeposit: £15.02Monthly: 11 x £15.02Total: £180.24Voluntary : £100Compulsory : £350Will probably juice it up and bit and try and lower the compulsory - as thats nuts - thats half the bike in excess - pfft!May even take the £15/month option and just see how it goes.

It doesn't really matter how fast you're going if it's another driver that smashes into you and sends you flying down the road. Although most gear has been well designed its a good rule of thumb to buy the best protection you can afford and don't forget gloves and boots. Secondhand suits can be a bargain if they've been looked after and you make sure they fit correctly, I got two leather suits from Gumtree for £50 each which should have been well over £400 each.
In terms of resale, you shouldn't have much of an issue selling on a 125 as long as you look after it. There are always learners looking to buy a 125, especially around spring time as the weather gets better so as long as you look after it and maintain it you shouldn't lose too much.
Also, is LexMoto the very bottom end of the manufacturers spectrum? They seem almost *too* cheap!
Your idea is a good one. Before I did my test I bought a Honda NSR125 for £1000. Rode it for about 6 months passed my test and bought a Suzuki SV650. I sold the NSR for £1000 so lost nothing on it except £15 for the road tax.

Any big name 125 at 5-10 years old will lose next to no value over a year. As long as the condition and maintained right. I would stick to the big Japanese company's though.

Clothing take a look at RST if there's a local shop such as J&S near you have a look in there see what they have got. If there's a motor cycle auto jumble near you go there too.

Bikers are a friendly bunch on the whole.
Insurance between £200 and £400 depending on area and cover.
Gear £200+. You'll want pretty much the full kit; helmet, gloves, jacket, trousers and boots.
Tax on a 125 is £17, MOT £25 ish.

Security don't buy Oxford, Mammoth or any of the popular brands you'll see in shops for the chain and lock.
Anything under 16mm can be cut in seconds with hand operated bolt cutters.
Your looking at Almax or Pragmasis if you actually want to be able to trust your bike isn't going to get nicked by a kid or **** with a pair of bolt cutters.
Length wise your looking at 2m being the most practical for actually chaining it to stuff.
On top of that you need something solid fixed to attach it to otherwise they will just lift it into a van or cut/break whatever it's chained too.
Looking at around £220 for chain, lock and ground anchor.
125 are high in demand for thieves they are light and there is a good market for them including parts, plus your excess will probably be more then that so it's worth the upfront cost.

Probably another £30 to £50 for a cover, £15 to £30 for some acf50 (not a fan of the cans myself), £10 to £15 for a Haynes manual, £10 for oil then whatever tools you don't have for basic jobs like chain tension and changing oil.
Welcome to the wonderful world of bikes. I hope you have a great experience and a safe one.
Re. the bike. Starting with a 125 to get experience is a very good idea. Defensive riding is the way to stay alive and with limited speed you can develop the necessary skills to be a safe rider. If you start from the thought that 'everyone is out to kill me' you'll be on the right track. Make sure you get good training, personal recommendation of a school is best.
If you take to it and want to upgrade fairly soon, I'd be inclined to stick to the traditional Japanese brands, Chinese kit has improved in recent years, but when it comes to resale Honda will aloways win over Lexmoto.
Re. Kit.
Both arguments above are right. You need the best protective clothing you can afford. Good stuff last for years, doesnt leak in the rain, will do the job of saving your skin when you fall off and doesn't have to cost the earth. Immaculate gear on Ebay often goes for peanuts. Obviously, buy a new crash helmet. I'd add to that well made proper motorcycle boots that are comfy and last, a back protector and armor in the jacket as a minimum. Having had one big crash 35 years ago, I wouldn't be here if I'd been wearing cheap kit.
All the best.
ps re Insurance, Topcashback often has good deals. Got £50 back this year, taking my annual premium on a 1000cc streetfighter down to £72. But I am old.;-)
Edited by: "airbus330" 28th Jun 2016
son had a honda xr 125 53 plate never skipped a beat had it for getting on for 2 years and sold it for as much as he bought it for the only thing different was he fitted a sporty exhaust to it. just to add to kit, he had a 2 piece rst suit that zipped together and some rst boots and all 3 did a great job of keeping out the elements and stopping the dreaded road rash

Edited by: "ding" 28th Jun 2016
Silhouette

Also, is LexMoto the very bottom end of the manufacturers spectrum? They … Also, is LexMoto the very bottom end of the manufacturers spectrum? They seem almost *too* cheap!

LexMoto X)

Stick with a Honda CBF125 or something like that.
RST is good stuff and cheapish too. I had a jacket and trousers which zipped together which cost £100 for the jacket and £80 for the trousers. This was in 2009 though.

It saved my **** when I had a bad crash in Germany, the jacket had to be cut off me and the trousers were knackered but there wasn't a mark on me.
i got a CBR 125 with 800 miles on clock going up for sale soon
All great and solid advice guys. Many many thanks! (I will add, that although Honda seems to out sell LexMoto I ask as LexMoto look okay and are half the price!)
jimhuf

i got a CBR 125 with 800 miles on clock going up for sale soon

​is it still for sale
tommyboi

​is it still for sale

​considering this was 10 months ago, I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest not.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants