Found 29th Dec 2016
Hi All, can anyone offer advice on bed buying? Looking to replace my king sized bed as it's over ten years old now. Budget is £1500 for base and mattress and wanting to spend up to £1000 on a mattress. Doesn't have to be that much but that's the budget.

I've got no idea where to start!! What's a good deal and what's just overpriced. I see a lot of the silent night stuff gets decent user reviews is that a brand I should go for? Is spring count the most important thing? Any small bit of advice would be greatly appreciated.

28 Comments

I like sealy beds. You can start looking at them. Very good and our memory foam with springs has saved my back

using ikea morgedal mattress...nothing fancy,feels good honestly.

I got my bed from carpet right in the sale, reduced from 1500 down to 900. Also got it on 0% finance. Comfiest bed I've ever had. Mattress is 32 cm tall, I need a set of steps to get into it!

Marks and Spencer usually have an ex-display sale round about this time of year. The mattresses are often overlooked and are very good quality. I would be cheeky and ask to put my name in the book to be rung when the ex-display items are going to be sold off.

Hypnos, every time. Or John Lewis own, which I believe is made by the same company. Quality item, sold by staff who know their stuff!

Go to bed shops, lay on beds, buy bed.

avinine86

using ikea morgedal mattress...nothing fancy,feels good honestly.

Also had ikea mattress recommended to myself before. They're actually really comfortable and I'm sure they'll take it back up to 90 days after purchase if you don't get on with it. They're also reasonably priced.

Original Poster

Thanks for your input guys.

Is it really a case of you get what you pay for? Is a £1000 mattress 50% off really just a cheapish mattress to start with?

Bought a silentnight geltex 1850 from Amazon recently for £450 same mattress is £1300 in carpet right + delivery
Take a look first but sealy geltex and silentnight geltex were our favourites
I'd Buy a base seperate and mattress from Amazon and save a lot of money

Just to add ... it's now gone up on Amazon to £584 but they'll probably knock it down again new year sale ... buying direct from silentnight it's £871 on sale
Amazon really do have great offers on mattress from time to time
But first go get an idea what you actually want and write price and type down as different shops name same mattress different names .... honestly can't believe what carpet right want for this mattress ...we sleep in a new £1500 bed for £500
Slept in a £1500 bed before but destroyed my back this new ones great
You need to see what you like first ...

Ebay for the base and mattress ex display lots from john lewis only way to go please do not buy silentnight or any other crap.

Lol .... so constructive...
I suggest O.P goes take a look first so can make own mind up ... we did ,went in all the bed sheds with overheads ... we saved 1k and got what we wanted
Just noticed c/right no longer has it on website but I've got the screenshot on my phone

Thanks for your input guys.Is it really a case of you get what you pay … Thanks for your input guys.Is it really a case of you get what you pay for? Is a £1000 mattress 50% off really just a cheapish mattress to start with?

Yes of course it is ! john lewis mattress ex display on ebay buy the dearest you can afford the base comes second.
Edited by: "waterloo" 29th Dec 2016

OScargolf

Lol .... so constructive...I suggest O.P goes take a look first so can … Lol .... so constructive...I suggest O.P goes take a look first so can make own mind up ... we did ,went in all the bed sheds with overheads ... we saved 1k and got what we wanted Just noticed c/right no longer has it on website but I've got the screenshot on my phone

You never saved anything dont believe the hype and rrp it's a con and carpetright selling beds do me a favour .

Ok I'd sort of agree but find me that very mattress cheaper

OScargolf

Ok I'd sort of agree but find me that very mattress cheaper

Not saying you got a bad deal at all for your money it's ok for you, but op has £1500 to spend and i dont think they will get better than a spink & edgar mattress and would like to help them out that's all.

I had a 2k budget though pal was dead set on a dormeo octaspring to be honest ...before I tried it that is
But liked sealy hybrid cloud mattress and this one
Like I said needs to go look

Could we both agree mattress are a very personal thing and OP needs to try out what he likes first?
No point spending £1500 if you don't like it
I'm just pointing out what we liked and the savings to be made same as you I suppose

Incidentally the sealy was £1329 for the kingside mattress when we looked just before
Crimbo

Original Poster

Thanks for your help. I'll check your one out somewhere. Seems best bet is probably check out a brand instore and then check Amazon.

That's what we did pal ...
Wrote everything down what we liked and price etc took us 4 journeys to the same places to make sure
Geltex is nice but pricey .... we know we got a bargain
Tried tempur also didn't like them either
Like I've already said we thought 2k should get us a good bed ... or mattress
In the end we actually spent £500 all in as Amazon credited me £100 for a past problem we had with an item
Yes I'm tight -4 journey to make sure what we liked and best price ;-)
Let us know what you decide

A little tip... note all the details of the mattress you like including springs /type spring count etc and snap a photo of mattress on your phone as it helps to match the mattress cover as a lot of shops have very very similar or the same mattress but under a different name at shell of a lot different prices

Original Poster

Good tips thanks. Budget is 2k as well but don't want to spend it for the sake of it

we're also looking at a new bed and mattress. Have seen one on m&s that's currently on offer called memory 1050 that is the mattress and base for £750. Going to store to have a look at it later...

Original Poster

Phil1980

we're also looking at a new bed and mattress. Have seen one on m&s that's … we're also looking at a new bed and mattress. Have seen one on m&s that's currently on offer called memory 1050 that is the mattress and base for £750. Going to store to have a look at it later...

Any good?

The Shire Bed Company, check them out, very reasonably priced
Look on Bedstar

Any good?

​didn't get there in the end but as there was very minimum detail online I don't think it'll be a great mattress. going to try a couple of local independent stores at the weekend
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I’m in dire need of a dash cam with remote viewing capability over 4G813
    2. Incorrect Amazon refunds - how can I make sure they don't owe me any more m…57
    3. Has anyone truly cut the cord with their landline and gone to a 4G connecti…11
    4. Samsung S8+ Wireless Charger Recommendations614

See more discussions